Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive before accepting delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who went through the delivery process, I am curious if you were able to test drive the car that was assigned to you before accepting delivery?
After inspecting the car, and assuming it is in good condition (no blocker flaws), I would like to test drive that same car. Did your delivery center allow that? Is that an unreasonable request?

• Funny
Reactions: Ba2yev
For those of you who went through the delivery process, I am curious if you were able to test drive the car that was assigned to you before accepting delivery?
After inspecting the car, and assuming it is in good condition (no blocker flaws), I would like to test drive that same car. Did your delivery center allow that? Is that an unreasonable request?
No they would not let me drive the car until I agreed to take Delivery. I also recommend you ask to inspect the car in an environment where you look the car over throughly. Try to bring someone with you that some auto body experience, its worth not having any headaches done the road. If you have any doubts reject the car, it’s better than having return the car later and lose your ability to get another same car at the same trim level. (An unfriendly customer Tesla policy) Good luck

Why would you expect to be able to test drive a brand new car? As soon as you drive it off the lot it becomes a used vehicle. What happens if you say, nah I don't like it. Then Tesla is stuck with a used vehicle. I'm sure they will let you test drive one of their test vehicles if you would like to experience how it drives before you accept.
Assuming this is either sarcasm or you’ve never purchased a new non-Tesla vehicle before...

Why would you expect to be able to test drive a brand new car? As soon as you drive it off the lot it becomes a used vehicle. What happens if you say, nah I don't like it. Then Tesla is stuck with a used vehicle. I'm sure they will let you test drive one of their test vehicles if you would like to experience how it drives before you accept.

I hope this is sarcasm....

It's terrible that they don't let you test drive until you agree to take delivery.
I agree. I know that Tesla is trying a different way to make and sell cars. I agree that EVs are the way of the future and better for our environment . Having owned a model s, I am a definitely a Tesla fan. Having said that I totally disagree with many of the their Sales And Customer relationship policies. If you are trying to buy a car from their used inventory you cannot preview or test drive their cars and they have a no return policy on used cars. They do offer a 2 or 4 year bumper to bumper warranty depending on the car you buy.
I think they need to revisit many of their policies with they want retain and attract new customers.

Assuming this is either sarcasm or you’ve never purchased a new non-Tesla vehicle before...
Actually you are wrong..the car only becomes a used car if you have taken Delivery of the car. Many new cars are driven off the lot on test drives and most dealers allow that. Tesla does now provide test drives for the Model Y. I do not see why wanting to test drive a car your are paying $60,000 for is wrong. A quick test drive of a car that has not been delivered will not devalue the car. I base that on 30 years of being in the Automotive industry.

Actually you are wrong..the car only becomes a used car if you have taken Delivery of the car. Many new cars are driven off the lot on test drives and most dealers allow that. Tesla does now provide test drives for the Model Y. I do not see why wanting to test drive a car your are paying $60,000 for is wrong. A quick test drive of a car that has not been delivered will not devalue the car. I base that on 30 years of being in the Automotive industry.
My comment was directed to DDrawer

It's terrible that they don't let you test drive until you agree to take delivery.
Yes and no. To allow test drives of the exact vehicle you are purchasing they would have to be set up more like a traditional dealer, where a guy can spend a couple hours with you going over the different models and options, doing test drives, checking your credit, and massaging your ego, etc.

You can always test drive a Model Y at your local showroom. I drove one a couple weeks ago at Fashion Island in Newport Beach.

Reactions: NYMY
Don't remember ever test driving any of the new cars I have custom ordered from legacy dealers.

They gladly let me drive units they had in stock, but they always made me sign final docs. and take delivery on the factory order ones before driving it off the lot.

There seems to be some ruling that a new owner takes legal possession when their taillights clear the dealership driveway.

• Disagree
Reactions: jboles and raggedy
Don't remember ever test driving any of the new cars I have custom ordered from legacy dealers.

Me neither. Nor did I ever feel the need to. Nor did I ever bring a list of "issues to check" for before taking delivery. Nor did I spend an hour examining the new car before taking delivery. And not once did I anticipate rejecting or returning a new car. Somehow, I managed.

But that was sooo 2018...

Reactions: jboles
I believe you have 7 days to return it for a full refund, no questions asked (well, assuming miles are reasonable). That was a policy not too long ago. In which case, you've basically got a 7 day test drive.

I believe you have 7 days to return it for a full refund, no questions asked (well, assuming miles are reasonable). That was a policy not too long ago. In which case, you've basically got a 7 day test drive.

1.5 years later : This policy has changed and there is no longer a 7 day (nor even a 7 minute!) return policy for Tesla, confirmed on the phone and online chat with Tesla this weekend.

Given Tesla's reputation for build quality issues, I am VERY leery about signing paperwork for a car that might pass visual inspection enough for me to accept it (very possibly won't as their promises to address 4 panel issues on my 2018 Model 3 were never realized after 2 trips to service center addressed the most obvious (rear bumper not clipped in) but rear trunk and left rear door were pretty misalgined and required slamming the life of the car, so if the car isn't in great shape I will decline). I guess one would hope it would be easier to get them to address actual mechanical issues than panel alignments but things like rattles/creaks even driving off the lot I think you'd end up stuck with for the life of your Tesla, while traditional dealers likely would have taken care of that for you before delivery or at least you could immediately take back and have addressed at the dealership.

I'd love to hear of anyone that had rattles/creaks or other issues not noticed at delivery and how they managed that with Tesla!

They gladly let me drive units they had in stock, but they always made me sign final docs. and take delivery on the factory order ones before driving it off the lot.

There seems to be some ruling that a new owner takes legal possession when their taillights clear the dealership driveway.

Me neither. Nor did I ever feel the need to. Nor did I ever bring a list of "issues to check" for before taking delivery. Nor did I spend an hour examining the new car before taking delivery. And not once did I anticipate rejecting or returning a new car. Somehow, I managed.

But that was sooo 2018...
If you're buying a car and don't test drive it and inspect it prior to purchasing, you're being foolish, lazy or both The test drive is the time to see if that car that's been sitting on the lot for weeks or months has any issues prior to purchasing. That includes custom ordered cars.
I custom ordered an Audi and they threw me the keys to take it for a test drive prior to signing any papers. If a dealership doesn't let you test drive prior to purchasing, that's a red flag.

As noted above, this isn't so much an option for a vehicle that one has ordered, whether we're talking Tesla or some other brand. If you're buying off the lot, then test away.
I also noted that I've custom ordered an Audi before, direct from Germany. I test drove it before signing the papers and the dealership had no issues with it. So test driving custom ordered cars is very much an option, you just need to request it. When you're dropping that much money on something, you should try it out before you buy it.
I understand you can't necessarily test drive the exact Tesla that you ordered. But, if you're new to Tesla, you should definitely go to a showroom and test drive one before you order it.