Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drive Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I went to the Southfield test drive event and got to drive a Model S. Here are my impressions:

-Getting into the car, I noticed that rear entry was a bit awkward due to the wheel well, but that is not uncommon for most sedans so I can get over it.

-Interior wise definitely not up to par with Audi/BMW/Mercedes or even Cadillac. The leather covers nearly all surfaces, but there is no padding underneath it, even in the armrest area. Alcantara headliner was not impressive, felt very cheap and not enough pile/thickness.

-The driving experience was awesome, having driven SUVs for the last 15 years I have never had my head thrown back into a seat from sheer lateral accel. Gs.

-Sitting in the back seat, the road noise was LOUD on the freeway (My second car a Buick Enclave, so I may be a little spoilt). It is important to note that the car was a P85+ and the PS tires are quite aggressive, so I'm sure a 19 inch wheel/tire combo will solve this.

-The car I drove was white with grey wheels, and it caught a lot of attention. A group of people in a passing car gave us thumbs up.

-Ride quality was excellent, even with 21s.

-The car can be driven with just the gas; it feels like you are braking when you let off the gas.

All in all a great experience. We sat down with the Tesla rep and made a deposit on a car. They tried to get us a trade in quote for my current car, but frankly the price was terrible and I will be selling the car myself.

Here is what I ordered:

Model S 85kWH (non performance)
- Tan Leather Standard Seats
- Hi-Fi Audio Package
- Carbon Fiber trim
- Aero 19" Wheels w/ Michelin Primacy tire upgrade
- Tech Package
- Air Suspension
- Sub-Zero Weather Package
- Parcel Shelf
- Paint Armor
- Solid Body Color Roof
- Blue Paint

Mike, way to go: you will enjoy owning the S. The only thing I might question about your order is factory paint armor: it's not very comprehensive and a lot of people here on TMC would steer you to a good local aftermarket provider.