Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drive Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I am back, test drive was great although the drive started about 30 minutes late as the guy before me was in the parking lot but talking quite a bit. Drove the P85 Blue and it was a delight. At first we took a quick, gentle drive on a short highway loop and he directed me back to the store. He started talking about options and I said, "that's fine but was that it for the drive?" I explained I knew all about the options and really the choice would be based on the driving experience. Frankly, while I enjoyed the first trip, I would not have purchased based on that. So we headed down a few local roads and I opened it up a bit more, tested the brakes and handling a bit more. Nothing wild but enough to feel the car more. I took a couple of my kids and they liked the second drive. :biggrin: I am very interested in the car. The interesting part for me is that the actual performance didn't actually blow me away as much as I expected (considering it's a P85) but the whole car felt more "solid" and smooth than I had expected, which probably makes the experience less jarring. All told, it was definitely fun and very enjoyable. But it passed the big test for me which is whether I could live with this car everyday for the next 8 or 10 years. The answer is yes. Now it's just the internal battle of trying to justify the price when I have a vehicle that suits my current needs just fine.
If I go that way, I would lean towards the 85 over the 60, definitely would go for the red (white probably second - I liked the blue but not enough to put up with the extra headache of a dark car - I wish the blue was more of an electric blue).

Glad you enjoyed the ride with the Tesla. I agree it was to short of a ride. I really think to be fair they also should have had a fully loaded P85+ and a P60 fully stripped to compare features to allow to decide what you would like. If you can go with the 85

Well I am back, test drive was great although the drive started about 30 minutes late as the guy before me was in the parking lot but talking quite a bit. Drove the P85 Blue and it was a delight. At first we took a quick, gentle drive on a short highway loop and he directed me back to the store. He started talking about options and I said, "that's fine but was that it for the drive?" I explained I knew all about the options and really the choice would be based on the driving experience. Frankly, while I enjoyed the first trip, I would not have purchased based on that. So we headed down a few local roads and I opened it up a bit more, tested the brakes and handling a bit more. Nothing wild but enough to feel the car more. I took a couple of my kids and they liked the second drive. :biggrin: I am very interested in the car. The interesting part for me is that the actual performance didn't actually blow me away as much as I expected (considering it's a P85) but the whole car felt more "solid" and smooth than I had expected, which probably makes the experience less jarring. All told, it was definitely fun and very enjoyable. But it passed the big test for me which is whether I could live with this car everyday for the next 8 or 10 years. The answer is yes. Now it's just the internal battle of trying to justify the price when I have a vehicle that suits my current needs just fine.
If I go that way, I would lean towards the 85 over the 60, definitely would go for the red (white probably second - I liked the blue but not enough to put up with the extra headache of a dark car - I wish the blue was more of an electric blue).

Test drove today. Since I went with all the knowledge from this forum and youtube no huge surprise. But ride was awesome. Seats are definitely a disappointment. I checked all the 3 cars they had. They could've just bought from Mercedes along with the steering column ;).
Now I am thinking to order... I wonder if the car has blind spot warning. What option would add the 2nd charger and how much that cost.

The best advise on this forum is from sp4rk: "Do not do it. The virus has no antidote!"
How true this is becoming !!!! lol

The steering column sucks, the seats suck (the offer no whip flash protection), there is no blind spot and no adaptive cruise control.

Tesla should have taken Volvo's features instead of Mercedes.

Nonetheless the Model S is awesome and I can't wait to drive it!

The steering column sucks, the seats suck (the offer no whip flash protection), there is no blind spot and no adaptive cruise control.

Tesla should have taken Volvo's features instead of Mercedes.

Nonetheless the Model S is awesome and I can't wait to drive it!

I thought you posted earlier in this thread that you owned a 60? Your most recent post (shown above) sounds like you have never driven an S, you wrote " can't wait to drive it!"

The seats extend plenty high enough to protect against whiplash.

Unclear on what you mean by "The steering column sucks".

ACC is not a feature I care about but I acknowledge that some think it is important.

Test drove today. Since I went with all the knowledge from this forum and youtube no huge surprise. But ride was awesome. Seats are definitely a disappointment. I checked all the 3 cars they had. They could've just bought from Mercedes along with the steering column ;).
Now I am thinking to order... I wonder if the car has blind spot warning. What option would add the 2nd charger and how much that cost.

The best advise on this forum is from sp4rk: "Do not do it. The virus has no antidote!"
How true this is becoming !!!! lol
No blind spot warning. Have seen others do aftermarket for that. I just use the rear camera on the touchscreen constantly and check it; the rear camera has a really wide fisheye and will show cars in my blindspots. The side mirrors are really good too.

2nd charger used to be ~$2500, iirc. If you plan to use AC chargers above 40A then get it, but those are pretty rare. I'm not unhappy that I've got the extra charger, but I think it has only saved me ~2 hours of actual waiting over the life of the car so far.

I thought you posted earlier in this thread that you owned a 60? Your most recent post (shown above) sounds like you have never driven an S, you wrote " can't wait to drive it!"

The seats extend plenty high enough to protect against whiplash.

Unclear on what you mean by "The steering column sucks".

ACC is not a feature I care about but I acknowledge that some think it is important.
I think what GDH meant was that he can't wait to drive his each day...