Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drive Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife doesn't want to come with me. Doesn't think they are safe

That is a non starter as an objection. My wife began there but logic quickly beat it back. Her real issue was the price and the knowledge that anyone that sees us driving it will know how much it cost. Somehow our very nice and expensive house didn't come with that same baggage. :wink:

That is a non starter as an objection. My wife began there but logic quickly beat it back. Her real issue was the price and the knowledge that anyone that sees us driving it will know how much it cost. Somehow our very nice and expensive house didn't come with that same baggage. :wink:

If she is anything like my wife who was fully on board. There is no issue with the nice house, bags, shoes or clothing... It's only when it comes to the car... But again my wife actually pushed me to buy the car which did not take much convincing....

Lol. Still doesn't like it. Maybe I can warm her up.
Some nice features; the seat and mirror memory has multiple pre-sets, easy to get one for her and one for you.

Get a custom one and let her choose the designs. Get some form of buy-in. My wife, for instance, absolutely wanted the red one so that's what she got.

Do some configs using the on-line builder and get her opinion on which one looks best. Point out some features, hem and haw about the tech package for instance.

Hoping they have a loaner to sell, as I want won by end of year.

If you're interested in an inventory car ("inventory" = loaner, orphaned, or demo vehicle), it doesn't have to be in NC to be a viable option for you. All ya gotta do is have them pull up the master inventory list and go through it with you, based upon your preference. I did this over the phone with the sales office in Colorado (because they're not allowed to say the word "sell" in Texas). The Performance 85 I settled upon was in Palo Alto at the time. After viewing pictures and agreeing to purchase it, they shipped it to the repair center near my house, where I took delivery. The purchase price included a $750 delivery charge for shipping the car. Time from finding the car on the inventory list to driving it home was about 10 days.

If you're interested in an inventory car ("inventory" = loaner, orphaned, or demo vehicle), it doesn't have to be in NC to be a viable option for you. All ya gotta do is have them pull up the master inventory list and go through it with you, based upon your preference. I did this over the phone with the sales office in Colorado (because they're not allowed to say the word "sell" in Texas). The Performance 85 I settled upon was in Palo Alto at the time. After viewing pictures and agreeing to purchase it, they shipped it to the repair center near my house, where I took delivery. The purchase price included a $750 delivery charge for shipping the car. Time from finding the car on the inventory list to driving it home was about 10 days.

Yeah, they are supposed to be searching nationwide for one. Haven't heard anything yet though. Figured this would have been a priority.

Yeah, they are supposed to be searching nationwide for one. Haven't heard anything yet though. Figured this would have been a priority.

I spent some time looking for an inventory car but didn't find one that worked for me so wound up ordering a new one.

As with Rockster I live in TX and had to go through it on the phone with the folks in Colorado, who were not always that great about getting back to me. I just bugged them till I was satisfied I knew what was out there.

Hey Blue - and I hope that is Duke Blue! - Pay attention to the options in the car you drive. A lot of people have angst over the sound system upgrade, so try to listen to a standard and whatever the different upgrade levels are now. Air suspension used to be considered a must-have, but now not so much I think, so you may want to try to drive a car with coil suspension for comparison. If you're on the fence about whether you want a Model S or not, then fiddle around with as much of the stuff as you can while driving. If it's just a matter of what options you want then it's always helpful to see in person. Regardless, you'll get some form of remorse over an option you did or didn't get after you order. Enjoy!

Hey Blue - and I hope that is Duke Blue! - Pay attention to the options in the car you drive. A lot of people have angst over the sound system upgrade, so try to listen to a standard and whatever the different upgrade levels are now. Air suspension used to be considered a must-have, but now not so much I think, so you may want to try to drive a car with coil suspension for comparison. If you're on the fence about whether you want a Model S or not, then fiddle around with as much of the stuff as you can while driving. If it's just a matter of what options you want then it's always helpful to see in person. Regardless, you'll get some form of remorse over an option you did or didn't get after you order. Enjoy!

Hey. There's only one blue allowed in my thread and that is Carolina blue. Other than that, what he said and enjoy it.

Hey. There's only one blue allowed in my thread and that is Carolina blue. Other than that, what he said and enjoy it.

Actually, you are both wrong:biggrin:, it's blue as in "Go Blue!" - University of Michigan. Is it advisable to bring your own music on a stick to test the audio or not necessary.

I am on the fence about a 60 or an 85, likely with pano, leather, coil suspension, maybe tech package. That's about it. Also a big hurdle would be to justify spending that much on a car, similar to many here. In red, white or blue depending on how much I want to spend on paint and how things look in person. Loved the idea of blue but I am not sure if it will be too dark for me. Thanks for the tips!

I am on the fence about a 60 or an 85, likely with pano, leather, coil suspension, maybe tech package. That's about it. Also a big hurdle would be to justify spending that much on a car, similar to many here. In red, white or blue depending on how much I want to spend on paint and how things look in person. Loved the idea of blue but I am not sure if it will be too dark for me. Thanks for the tips!

In so many ways the options you pick are based on your own personal preferences. So no-one can really advise you beyond a certain point. On the other hand maybe it helps to know the thought processes some of us have gone through. Mine is still in production so have not yet ben able to see and feel the results of my choices, but for what its worth:
- 60 vs 85 - a big jump up but range alone makes it worthwhile (not to mention superchargers and extra acceleration)
- color/colour was a hard one because there are many good ones. I ended up with red, white and blue as my final picks too and ended up with blue. I loved the way it was almost black in the shadows and luminescent in the sun.
- I like contrasts so picked the piano black and grey/gray leather interior
- the tech package adds so many features in one bundle that make it a very worthwhile add-on
- I was all set to buy the air suspension until I test drove the coil and was quite happy with the handling
- I skipped the pano - again personal preference - I'm not really a sun-worshipper
- The only other thing I added was the winter package - I live in northern Illinois after all

When it came to justifying spending the money, and in an effort to try and persuade myself that this was as much an intellectual decision as an emotional heart decision (I almost succeeded by the way :wink:), I put together a spreadsheet that took into account a number of factors - not just fuel, but reduced maintenance costs too - and and found that the car would break-even within 3 to 4 years compared to an Audi A6 or equivalent other car. After 10 years, I would be far enough ahead to easily pay for multiple batteries.

Tell us how the test drive went and what your final decision is.