Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered my Cybertruck DM AWD. Wanted a Tesla for a while but waited, and glad I did. Here’s the thing though, I’ve never driven a Tesla or any EV for that matter. All the YouTube videos in the world don’t equate to a real world test.
So question for all those that preordered and purchased a Model 3...did you guys get to actually test the car before you got one? If so how and when?

• Helpful
Reactions: Electruck
Wifey and I went to our local Tesla service center just to see what they had, if anything, in stock.

I might have just gotten lucky, because I just assumed I wouldn't be able to test drive anything, only look. But they had one on the lot and they let me take it for about an hour. Needless to say, I ordered one right after the test drive.

• Helpful
I did a test drive of an S at a "Tesla drive event" hosted at a local hotel.

I later had a 24 hour test drive to make sure it fit in our garage. We have a weird side entry garage with very little turn space and it's pretty narrow for two cars.

When I brought it back I told them I liked the car, it fit (barely), but my wife couldn't get past the color. So they gave me a different S for another 24 hours.

But, I purchased our 3 without a test drive. I would not expect test drives for the truck for a long time, have to find a friend that got on the list early.

• Funny
Only a few prototype Pickups will be made for internal testing, They gave rides at the reveal and all the feedback was pretty positive.

Most delivery centers offer test drives in their other cars. Understand the current Model X gives the closest experience to the Truck.

If you are interested, best thing to do is place an order, with $100 refundable deposit. There are already over 250,000 people ahead of you in line. As yours gets closer to being available, there will probably be test drives available.

In many ways, ordering a Tesla is a leap of Faith. Only get to experience the full Tesla joy after taking delivery of your own.

Reminds me of the Harley Davidson experience in the 70's. You needed to place your order and wait until your bike got made and delivered. People would rush to their dealerships to put down deposits the day the ordering books opened up.

I just went over to the local Tesla showroom and took a demo drive in the X. Ordered it as soon as we got back. Love the car! Ordering LR3 in the next week to replace last ICE vehicle, BMW 335.

If you order now, I bet there will be someone locally that will be happy to give you a test ride long before you have to lock in. One thing about Teslas owners is they love to talk about and show their cars.

In the meantime, you might just want to go for a ride at a showroom. Go in a model X to see something close (within 2 feet in length) in size and maybe a Model 3 to see how you like the display screen.

Typically initial buyers will not be able to "test drive" prior to taking delivery of their own truck.

Tesla will build for eager buyers prior to making a bunch of them for showroom test drives.

Initially the demos will be only static showroom displays. Allow people to sit inside and check out the storage and see the design in the flesh. As volumes ramp up and some of the initial flood of orders are delivered, a few will be made for test drives at selected showrooms.

Those lucky few, that attended the unveiling at Space X will be the only ones to get to experience them first hand...and then only as passengers.

All the other Tesla will be able to get free test drives at your friendly local Tesla Showroom.

• Helpful
I never even sat in a Tesla when I pre-ordered my Model X. Driving it from the service center was the first time I drove a Tesla. I did start attending EV events so others could take a look and get a ride. You can request a test drive of the S, X, and 3 now but they won't drive anything like the Cybertruck. You'll get to feel the acceleration, but the drive dynamics will be completely different. Once they start rolling them out, check your local Tesla drivers groups or National electric drive week events for people willing to show them off.

• Helpful
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Tesla's 7 day love it or return it policy! You essentially get 7 days once you get your Tesla to try not to fall in love with it (spoiler: you'll be hooked and get even more hooked on your new car every day!).

Anywho, in the meantime I recommend you test drive any other Tesla to see just how awesome they are! And just wait till you try Autopilot for the first time...

Test drive really just gets you acquainted with the instant response of the electric motors and the roller coaster acceleration. The first 24 hours with the Tesla is where you start to get the “wow this is well thought out” feeling. Then a couple of weeks in you will probably get a software update that adds features and you get the “this is the best purchase I have ever made feeling”. That doesn’t seem to go away after 8000 miles on my Model 3.

past cars-bmw 328 convertible, Toyota 4Runner, Hummer H2, Mercedes GLE, Cadillac Escalade, Honda Odyssey, Mazda Miata ND

Oh yeah. We didn’t actually “order”... we have a reservation in line to order.

I say I ordered too cause it’s fun!

It’s way more fun when you are photographing your license and insurance cards and uploading to your account.

and then the text comes with your proposed delivery time and date.

and then the car shows up in your app when you get to the delivery center!!!

and then your DA come out with 3 pieces of paper to sign and your black key cards!!!!!!!

and 10 minutes later you are walking out to your car!!!!!!!!!!!

2022 can’t come fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!