Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Testing home charger without car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,
We are getting our model Y next week but our Electrican is installing the home charger in our garage this week. Is there an easy way to test the home charger without the car? Hard to get hold of contractors these days so want to make sure it works as expected. Electrican will be installing it on a 80amp breaker.

80 is a lot. But it gives you future upgrade possibilities.

Surely, there is someone you might know that has a Tesla, and can test your new setup to the 40 amp charging limit (is 40? still on L2? correct me if I'm wrong). Like the second poster mentioned, a brewski and a free charge for an hour or so will let you know it is working. And I should add, I need to do this myself when a workmate gets her 3 next month - though my charger is limited to 32 amp on its 40a 240v circuit.

You can check the wall connector using its setup procedure. There’s a URL that you go to to set it up (standard locally hosted on the WC just for setup) and it will give you the details of the wall connector.

But I just asked a friend with a Tesla to come over and make sure it all worked. If you’re getting the new gen 3 charger, it’s limited to 48 amps, FYI.

Hey folks,
We are getting our model Y next week but our Electrican is installing the home charger in our garage this week. Is there an easy way to test the home charger without the car? Hard to get hold of contractors these days so want to make sure it works as expected. Electrican will be installing it on a 80amp breaker.
You should check; If you purchased, having the electrician install the current Gen3 Wall Connector the maximum circuit/circuit breaker allowed is 60A. Installing the Gen3 Wall Connector on an circuit with an 80A circuit breaker is incorrect and a code violation. (Note: The older Gen2 Wall Connector could be installed on an 80A circuit.) If the electrician is installing a sub panel, the sub panel could have an 80A circuit breaker, the Gen3 Wall Connector would have it's own circuit breaker not to exceed 60A.)

You should check; If you purchased, having the electrician install the current Gen3 Wall Connector the maximum circuit/circuit breaker allowed is 60A. Installing the Gen3 Wall Connector on an circuit with an 80A circuit breaker is incorrect and a code violation. (Note: The older Gen2 Wall Connector could be installed on an 80A circuit.) If the electrician is installing a sub panel, the sub panel could have an 80A circuit breaker, the Gen3 Wall Connector would have it's own circuit breaker not to exceed 60A.)
Ah didn’t know this.. they were running a wire capable of 80A to the garage to a disconnect will need to check with them to ensure they install a 60A breaker.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Not that it means anything any longer, but one of our referral users reached out to us the other day and ask if we can come by and check their install. They're not far. If you wasn't all the way up in snow Country, I'd come by.

Easy to test. Turn power off then on.
If all five green lights light up, it works fine.
It’s all in the manual. I installed mine a few weeks ago.
You should also set up its wifi. It will tell you what the voltage and amperage read is.

Attachments

• 0CCFCCD4-902B-4D0B-85DA-62D785303F9A.jpeg
    0CCFCCD4-902B-4D0B-85DA-62D785303F9A.jpeg
    242.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 8C35C463-67AF-430D-A085-437829B36617.jpeg
    8C35C463-67AF-430D-A085-437829B36617.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: torifile
80 is a lot. But it gives you future upgrade possibilities.

Surely, there is someone you might know that has a Tesla, and can test your new setup to the 40 amp charging limit (is 40? still on L2? correct me if I'm wrong). Like the second poster mentioned, a brewski and a free charge for an hour or so will let you know it is working. And I should add, I need to do this myself when a workmate gets her 3 next month - though my charger is limited to 32 amp on its 40a 240v circuit.
48 amp on MY LR, 32 amp on model 3 SR.

Keith

• Informative
Reactions: Bikeman