Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tether anchor for rear-facing LATCH child seat in the back seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
Has anyone installed the top tether of a rear-facing child seat in Model S?

I purchased a Diono RadianRXT rear-facing child seat for my 7-month old (who is getting a bit too big for the punkin seat). It is secured rear-facing in the center of the back seat. The manual notes that it is desirable to attach the top tether. It suggests finding something that is frame-attached and wrapping their D-ring strap around it, to which you can tie the seat down -- such as the seat belts. However, in the Model S, it appears that the seat belt attachments "float" with the seat, and so front seat adjustments would affect the car seat in the rear.

I recognize that the top tether isn't so much of an issue when the seat is rear-facing than when forward-facing, but like the idea of tying it down just in case. Has anyone studied this? I was thinking you *might* be able to attach a small ring bracket beneath the rear of the seat slides and attach the top tether to it without interfering with the seat operation.

I don't see anything else that could be used.

Page 30-31 of the manual describes what they want us to do.

Any suggestions?

(PS: I really like how narrow this car seat is, it allows my 7-month old to sit in the center while two adults ride side-by-side with the seat, unlike the other models that crowd out adults in the adjacent seats.)

I'm pretty sure the LATCH system is fully supported for the back row. The top LATCH is on the back of the seat, if I'm not mistaken.

That would be used for forward-facing child seats, but not rear-facing top tethers, which would be floor-anchored toward the front seat (or on the back of the front seats). It's not as necessary when the seats are rear-facing, because during a collision most of the force is in the opposite direction, but it does arrest the reactive force and keep the child seat from folding against the back of the rear seat. See the manual link I posted above, pp 30-31.

I also dropped Tesla a note and will report back on what they state.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but on the back side (facing into the trunk) of the rear seats are small vertical slits in the black fabric liner. Inside are anchor points which if I understand correctly are meant to secure the top of the child seats (with the proper strap).

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but on the back side (facing into the trunk) of the rear seats are small vertical slits in the black fabric liner. Inside are anchor points which if I understand correctly are meant to secure the top of the child seats (with the proper strap).
Thanks but again, those are the approved, noted tethers for forward facing seats. I do not believe there are any for rear facing seats. It might require a call to the service center.

I don't think that I've seen the top anchor LATCH being used for a rear facing seat.

Maybe there is something under the front seats that can allow you to hook the connection up to allow the anchor to connect. Would it be better/easier to have the car seat directly behind the driver?

I don't think that I've seen the top anchor LATCH being used for a rear facing seat.

Maybe there is something under the front seats that can allow you to hook the connection up to allow the anchor to connect. Would it be better/easier to have the car seat directly behind the driver?

I looked and the only thing that doesn't seem to move with the seat (and that wouldn't tear up the seat) are the seat rails themselves...

Tesla's initial response was confusion as well - they gave me the same location for the anchor points behind the back seat as well.

I used the seat rails in my Leaf and I have the Radian r120. I believe it came with a strap to wrap around the track.

I thought that might be an option, but I looked at the track and there is no easy way to wrap that strap around it where it will hold (without taking out the seat bolt), and if slid all the way back, the front seat would appear to interfere with the strap (perhaps cutting or fraying it). The closest thing I can think of is a D-ring bracket mounted beneath the seat rail that would extend out to the side (or even rear, but that would be about 2" long) enough not to interfere with the front seat's movement.

There is no official anchor for this top tether application for rear-facing seats (only top tether LATCH for forward facing seats located behind rear seats as you identified), since the danger is mainly front impact and all rear facing seats must have a base that inclines them such as not to tilt back in rear collision. But the tether you want to attach gives additional safety, no doubt. However, I haven't seen another car with such a tether between front and rear seats either. The manual for your seat supports this since they supply a "do-it-yourself" option with the tether extender. Isn't this a perfect application for the rear-facing jump seats in trunk?

Isn't this a perfect application for the rear-facing jump seats in trunk?

Sure, if I didn't already have 2 more kids in the rear-facing seats there (and a fourth - a teenager - next to the baby in the back seat).

I have seen cars with triangle / D-rings behind the front seats. I believe my Suburban has them, but it's on loan to someone so I can't confirm at the moment.

I can't think of anyone, including my wife and I, who have ever used the rear latch on a rear facing car seat. Come to think of it I don't even recall that ours had (been a few years now) a latch for the "front\rear" part of the seat. We use the rear latch on or current forward facing seat(s) like everyone else does I suppose.

Interesting question and I'm not surprised that Tesla hasn't been asked before. :)

Jeff

I can't think of anyone, including my wife and I, who have ever used the rear latch on a rear facing car seat.

I've never used it, either, but only because the owner's manual never called for it. This particular model suggests you use it where possible to anchor it. If they come back and say "we don't really have a good idea for you", then we'll likely just stick with the two bottom LATCH anchors. Given the recommendation, though, at least they can consider it.

Luke got back to me today to say that Tesla simply recommends not using that tether. The manufacturer of the car seat simply recommends it for "additional" safety, and engineering felt there wasn't an appropriate place to attach it on a Model S.

I have a similar Diono car seat, and when we were using it rear-facing, we used the included short webbing loop, looped around the rail the front seat travels on. We were able to position it such that it was secure but didn't interfere with the travel of the front seat. It's a bit difficult to set up, but if you need to temporarily remove the car seat, you can leave the webbing loop in place to avoid the hassle of re-installing.

I have a similar Diono car seat, and when we were using it rear-facing, we used the included short webbing loop, looped around the rail the front seat travels on. We were able to position it such that it was secure but didn't interfere with the travel of the front seat. It's a bit difficult to set up, but if you need to temporarily remove the car seat, you can leave the webbing loop in place to avoid the hassle of re-installing.
I couldn't figure out where to place the webbing loop in this same application. Photos would be great.