Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Law Change: $200 Fine for No Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basically, to be on the safe side it must be in be front part/bumper of car. Dash may be ok but many police departments seem to write tickets based off of the front bumper. They are always right (initially) when they write a ticket in their mind. It is then up to you to decide if it is worth the time and effort to take a weekday to fight it or not. Even if you are right if may not be worth it.

Last edited:
Basically, to be on the safe side it must be in be front part/bumper of car. Dash may be ok but many police department seem to write tickets based off of the front bumper. They are always right (initially) when they write a ticket in their mind. It is then up to you to decide if it is worth the time and effort to take a weekday to fight it or not. Even if you are right if may not be worth it.

+1 (This whole thread could be renamed: "The Man Will Stick It To You")

+1 (This whole thread could be renamed: "The Man Will Stick It To You")

At least in San Antonio they said they will actually start enforcing it on the local news but we will see. Just wanted to make people aware how it is interpreted regardless of what is actually written down. I actually spent a few hours on the phone with DPS asking them to point out where this was written down but they can't. The front bumper is just where it is 'supposed to be'.

Here's a video showing how to mount the front plate with no drilling. I've seen some cars around here with plates put on like this (or using toggle bolts instead of the hook bolts in the video). I'll be putting mine on this way too since I don't want to drill and prefer the look of the plate lower down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have a picture of the car with the plates mounted like in the video above? Also, where do you get bolts like that? Home depot?

Not sure where you get those J shaped bolts, but the car I was looking at the other day had the same style of mounting but was just using regular toggle bolts. This seems simpler to me than that J bolt and having to cut it off at the correct length, etc.

I'm not mounting plates on the front of my car. A significant percentage of Texas vehicles have no front plate....sure, they can now legitimately pull you over, but my guess would be that they were going to anyway. The other day I was hit by LIDAR, which I shifted, and as I drove by the cop he was shaking his head. Why didn't he come after me? I've no idea, but I'm happy to take my chances with the front plate for now. I will be changing my mind if/when I get a $200 ticket, but as someone that doesn't watch the crappy local news, how would I know of the change in law (ahem, ignoring this thread of course!).

I have 3 different types of license plate brackets. The one that came with the car that bolts somewhat underneath the front bumper so there are no holes actually drilled on the front. I also have the one that screws right into the tow hook, and I also got the hide away plate but haven't mounted it just yet. I'm trying to decide which one I'm going to use. I'm leaning towards the hide away plate~

I have 3 different types of license plate brackets. The one that came with the car that bolts somewhat underneath the front bumper so there are no holes actually drilled on the front. I also have the one that screws right into the tow hook, and I also got the hide away plate but haven't mounted it just yet. I'm trying to decide which one I'm going to use. I'm leaning towards the hide away plate~

Keep us posted...I'm undecided about the hide-away option..it looks cool (if you ignore some of the bad reviews), but how would it work in reality? The cop pull you over, and you flip the magic switch when he's not looking, and then say it was there all along? Or just flip it up whenever you see a cop? I'm just not sure the process of the whole thing is ideal, but I still like the idea...

Keep us posted...I'm undecided about the hide-away option..it looks cool (if you ignore some of the bad reviews), but how would it work in reality? The cop pull you over, and you flip the magic switch when he's not looking, and then say it was there all along? Or just flip it up whenever you see a cop? I'm just not sure the process of the whole thing is ideal, but I still like the idea...

lol... no I'd leave it showing most of the time and only hide it while at car meets/events/shows :)