Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas MR Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn. Didn’t know they were running this far behind but I guess it’s to be expected with the EOTY push. Hopefully they’re open on 12/31, I’ve got a feeling that’s when my delivery will occur if so.
Houston here...

Mine was 12/22 --> 12/29 --> just found out today that it's postponed again until 12/31.
My DA advised the one i originally had, had some unexpected "issues", and so they found same config in Arizona who's owner for whatever reason couldn't make delivery, and re-assigned it to me. Got a new VIN. Haven't seen paperwork yet... DA assured me mileage would be the default "50" and I wasn't getting a show room vehicle... but we'll see...

Was hoping for an early Christmas present which now appears to be on the literal edge of the year end cut off...

Houston here...

Mine was 12/22 --> 12/29 --> just found out today that it's postponed again until 12/31.
My DA advised the one i originally had, had some unexpected "issues", and so they found same config in Arizona who's owner for whatever reason couldn't make delivery, and re-assigned it to me. Got a new VIN. Haven't seen paperwork yet... DA assured me mileage would be the default "50" and I wasn't getting a show room vehicle... but we'll see...

Was hoping for an early Christmas present which now appears to be on the literal edge of the year end cut off...

For those in TX who paid in full ahead of time, can you report if your delivery is pushed into January and if Tesla advises that this is a financial delivery (payment in full) so you can take advantage of the 2018 tax credit "for that reason only" or if you get paid the $3750 after delivery delay.

For those in TX who paid in full ahead of time, can you report if your delivery is pushed into January and if Tesla advises that this is a financial delivery (payment in full) so you can take advantage of the 2018 tax credit "for that reason only" or if you get paid the $3750 after delivery delay.
I believe you have to get $3750 from Tesla. Tax law says the service date not the paid date.

Reactions: sm0ta
Houston here...

Official delivery confirmed for 12/31. Car just arrived on the lot but unable to receive tomorrow so I’m picking it up at 8 AM on Monday. Can’t wait.

Reactions: SMAlset
This... cutting it close to see if Elon is true to his word that Tesla will refund 3750 if I miss the year end cutoff. They’ve refunded the AWD non-PUP customers... so I can’t see why not unless financials aren’t working out
My delivery advisor told me that it would be honored if they didn’t make it in time but they were working on the logistical aspect of how to make that happen. I have a feeling they’ll offer the refund or give you the choice of something free (autopilot perhaps) if they don’t make it in time.

My delivery advisor told me that it would be honored if they didn’t make it in time but they were working on the logistical aspect of how to make that happen. I have a feeling they’ll offer the refund or give you the choice of something free (autopilot perhaps) if they don’t make it in time.
My issue is they changed VINs on mine, pickup Monday @ 1, yet still don’t have any updated paperwork. Hopefully everything gets updated and sent to the bank for revisions for titling purposes

This... cutting it close to see if Elon is true to his word that Tesla will refund 3750 if I miss the year end cutoff. They’ve refunded the AWD non-PUP customers... so I can’t see why not unless financials aren’t working out

Not sure how they will work any $3750 amount as it is a tax credit only on your income tax return and not a refund. You have to have $7500 or more of tax liability on your 2018 tax return filed next year to be able to use the full amount and you can only claim up to that amount. So if you only owe $5000 for example you can only use $5000 of the $7500 credit. That's the IRS not Tesla okaying the amount. If you only owe $3750 on your return, don't see Tesla giving you an extra $3750.

Not sure how they will work any $3750 amount as it is a tax credit only on your income tax return and not a refund. You have to have $7500 or more of tax liability on your 2018 tax return filed next year to be able to use the full amount and you can only claim up to that amount. So if you only owe $5000 for example you can only use $5000 of the $7500 credit. That's the IRS not Tesla okaying the amount. If you only owe $3750 on your return, don't see Tesla giving you an extra $3750.

No, Tesla is and should not be leering into personal finances. They do not know if a customer today gets a full tax credit or not - nor should they know. They advertise the 7500 incessantly and if for some reason a buyer with low tax liability shows up and cannot take delivery by 12/31, they should be able to get the 3750 without questions asked even if they were not going to get the 7500 in full. In fact, it works out in their favor to have delivery pushed out into January and get the rebate check from Tesla rather than take delivery in 2018. Even help Tesla out by paying in full today for a "financial delivery" and then take physical delivery in 2019 inclusive of the 3750 back from Tesla. Their actual 2019 tax liability then is in play and they can reduce their monthly fed tax withholding from their pay check by 300 per month to get the 3750 tax credit "all year long". Or they can get cheeky and put the Vin # on their 2018 tax form (saying they paid in full now) which I expect many to do.

No, Tesla is and should not be leering into personal finances. They do not know if a customer today gets a full tax credit or not - nor should they know. They advertise the 7500 incessantly and if for some reason a buyer with low tax liability shows up and cannot take delivery by 12/31, they should be able to get the 3750 without questions asked even if they were not going to get the 7500 in full. In fact, it works out in their favor to have delivery pushed out into January and get the rebate check from Tesla rather than take delivery in 2018. Even help Tesla out by paying in full today for a "financial delivery" and then take physical delivery in 2019 inclusive of the 3750 back from Tesla. Their actual 2019 tax liability then is in play and they can reduce their monthly fed tax withholding from their pay check by 300 per month to get the 3750 tax credit "all year long". Or they can get cheeky and put the Vin # on their 2018 tax form (saying they paid in full now) which I expect many to do.

The $7500 IRS form tax credit is not a guaranteed amount off your taxes if you don't qualify. Has nothing to do with Tesla, applies to any car manufacturer selling their EV. All companies selling their EV tell you about it just like they make you aware of any State or Utility rebates. You only get those if you qualify for them however. Sure there are tax cheats out there though that try claiming more than they should. Also there people who see nothing wrong with taking advantage of Tesla and getting free stuff or even money from them when they really aren't entitled. Ethically it comes down to should you legally be getting the credit or not.

Last edited: