Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Plates & Registration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a used Leaf in Feb from a Nissan dealer in Austin. Still have temp plates. Turns out the dealer didn't file any of the paperwork and the car is still in the previous persons name. Dealer was blaming tax office, but once I had more info from the tax office dealer admitted the never got a form from the prior owner and have had troubles getting the transaction done. They did collect my tax money of course.

I checked my glovebox and there were two copies of a 30 day permit receipt. Nothing that looked like an inspection document. Is this permit the same thing or did my delivery team forget to put it in the car?
I'd say they forgot, because the inspection document looks like an inspection document. (Of course, on delivery they told me where it was so I didn't have to guess.)

I'd say they forgot, because the inspection document looks like an inspection document. (Of course, on delivery they told me where it was so I didn't have to guess.)
I thought as much, but since this is an extraordinary process, I wasn't sure. I've pinged my delivery team to see what they can do about it. Hopefully they can send it to me somehow but I'm willing to drive up there an pick it up if necessary. Of course they may have forgot to do the actual inspection, so it may require I take the car up there to have it done. More missed steps in the whole delivery process.

I thought as much, but since this is an extraordinary process, I wasn't sure. I've pinged my delivery team to see what they can do about it. Hopefully they can send it to me somehow but I'm willing to drive up there an pick it up if necessary. Of course they may have forgot to do the actual inspection, so it may require I take the car up there to have it done. More missed steps in the whole delivery process.

Well, it's not the end of the world. Just go to a nearby inspection station and pay the $7. Takes only a few minutes. Doesn't have to be from Tesla.

Reactions: empiredown
Well, it's not the end of the world. Just go to a nearby inspection station and pay the $7. Takes only a few minutes. Doesn't have to be from Tesla.
I didn't say it was end of the world. I do like to hold Tesla accountable for what they are supposed to deliver. My experience with my order and delivery hasn't been great, so I would much rather have Tesla get me the inspection paper and not have to run around in a pandemic making up for their misstep.

Update on my experience for doing a registration in Harris county. So far so good. I reached out to the local tax office by e-mail and once contacted I sent them scans of my documents. They confirmed my fee and tax amounts so I will be mailing in the paperwork today with a check to be processed. Hopefully I will have my plates in a few weeks. We will see. I did order personalized plates and I hope they are delivered before they process the regular registration so I don't have to go through a plate swap. I'm not sure how that will turn out since it is two different processes for the registration versus the personalized plates.

Update on my experience for doing a registration in Harris county. So far so good. I reached out to the local tax office by e-mail and once contacted I sent them scans of my documents. They confirmed my fee and tax amounts so I will be mailing in the paperwork today with a check to be processed. Hopefully I will have my plates in a few weeks. We will see. I did order personalized plates and I hope they are delivered before they process the regular registration so I don't have to go through a plate swap. I'm not sure how that will turn out since it is two different processes for the registration versus the personalized plates.
I emailed them to set up an appointment. I had specialty plates waiting for me downtown so I actually went in and they were only seeing 1 person at a time so I was all alone in there. Pretty good experience. Wish it was always like that.

An update to my registration... I finally received my paperwork from Tesla on Friday (Exactly 3 weeks after I took delivery). I am currently not in Texas, and before I left the state, I left behind a signed Limited Power of Attorney for Eligible Motor Vehicles (Form VTR-271) for my father to be able to complete the process. I left a copy of my DL and copy of Insurance. Left the Inspection form (found in glove box) and about $4k in cash. My father went to the tax office in Montgomery County, and said the entire process took about 20 minutes. He said the person helping him was impressed he had everything they needed the first time. I even had them transfer my personalized plates from my last vehicle. No problems what so ever. I have put my personalized plates on my MY and my father is mailing me my sticker tomorrow. I am just happy to get those temp plates off the car. It took me about three different phone calls to the tax office to ask questions. but I have to say, they were very helpful every time I called, and that is why we were prepared and took care of everything the first time.

Hello! I thought I'd ask how the process is going. I received the paperwork last Friday and have had zero luck getting in touch with the Harris County tax office. I will follow your lead and calculate everything - I retrieved my inspection paperwork and send it all out. Would love to know how the personalized plate process works!

Was seamless for us in WILCO. Used the info on the site, were able to confirm with email and phone fortunately, and everything ( title, plates) arrived a few weeks later. Better than in person for us! Good luck!

ß

Hello! I thought I'd ask how the process is going. I received the paperwork last Friday and have had zero luck getting in touch with the Harris County tax office. I will follow your lead and calculate everything - I retrieved my inspection paperwork and send it all out. Would love to know how the personalized plate process works!
I’m still waiting to get my plates but I did confirm with the office that they have my paperwork. I went ahead and applied for the personalized plates at the same time as I did the paperwork for the taxes and registration. I sent the receipt for the personalized plate in with the other paperwork so they know I ordered the personalized plates. I’m hoping they will not issue the regular plates and hold it until they get the personalized plates. I used the email address and didn’t call them. It generally takes them about 24 hours to respond to the emails. I sent them scans of all my documents and they validated my tax and fee calculations. Once I had that I mailed the forms and check to them. Word of warning, if you send in the paperwork via the USPS you might want to put a delivery receipt on it as regular certified mail doesn’t get updated with the delivery date. I had to email the tax office to have them confirm they had my paperwork.

I’m hoping I’ll get my plates soon but I have no idea how bad the backlog is at the tax office.

Well
I’m still waiting to get my plates but I did confirm with the office that they have my paperwork. I went ahead and applied for the personalized plates at the same time as I did the paperwork for the taxes and registration. I sent the receipt for the personalized plate in with the other paperwork so they know I ordered the personalized plates. I’m hoping they will not issue the regular plates and hold it until they get the personalized plates. I used the email address and didn’t call them. It generally takes them about 24 hours to respond to the emails. I sent them scans of all my documents and they validated my tax and fee calculations. Once I had that I mailed the forms and check to them. Word of warning, if you send in the paperwork via the USPS you might want to put a delivery receipt on it as regular certified mail doesn’t get updated with the delivery date. I had to email the tax office to have them confirm they had my paperwork.

I’m hoping I’ll get my plates soon but I have no idea how bad the backlog is at the tax office.

So this was an interesting turn of events. I emailed Harris County tax office with a scan of all my paperwork to confirm I had the taxes right (ugh, big check). THey responded asking if I could go to my local tax office the next day at 9:30. So I did - wrote the check, brought the paperwork and got plates and registration sticker on the spot. That was...unexpected. Also fast. I guess I will deal with the personalized plates later on but at least I am set for now.

Well

So this was an interesting turn of events. I emailed Harris County tax office with a scan of all my paperwork to confirm I had the taxes right (ugh, big check). THey responded asking if I could go to my local tax office the next day at 9:30. So I did - wrote the check, brought the paperwork and got plates and registration sticker on the spot. That was...unexpected. Also fast. I guess I will deal with the personalized plates later on but at least I am set for now.
Glad to hear you had a good experience. I got notified today my personalized plates are done so I’m hoping I’ll hear from the tax off soon to come get them. I’ll probably call to check.

Hi,
Kinda new here so pardon me if these questions were already asked earlier. I am waiting to take delivery of my MY and I do plan to finance my car through one of the credit unions here in Austin. In this case of taking loan/financing, can someone help answer below questions?

1. Is the cost of registration/taxes covered as part of loan (or) is that something buyer (myself in this case) need to pay out of pocket?
2. How does registration process work? Will bank handle registration process with Tax assessor office? I called up one of the CU here and they mention they wouldnt let buyer handle the registration process and that would be something they will have to handle.

Can other share some of their experiences?

Hi,
Kinda new here so pardon me if these questions were already asked earlier. I am waiting to take delivery of my MY and I do plan to finance my car through one of the credit unions here in Austin. In this case of taking loan/financing, can someone help answer below questions?

1. Is the cost of registration/taxes covered as part of loan (or) is that something buyer (myself in this case) need to pay out of pocket?
2. How does registration process work? Will bank handle registration process with Tax assessor office? I called up one of the CU here and they mention they wouldnt let buyer handle the registration process and that would be something they will have to handle.

Can other share some of their experiences?

In my case I used Alliant Credit Union (based in CA).

Answer to #1: In my case I had to pay these outside of the loan. I didn't ask the Credit Union if they could put them into the loan figure. I don't know if this is possible. This may be because my CU was out of state.
Answer to #2: Tesla will provide you the paperwork you will need to do the registration. I comes via FedEx a couple weeks after your delivery. You are then responsible for getting that paperwork and any other forms needed to you tax office to process the registration. I contacted my local tax office via e-mail and sent them scans of the documents before I mailed them in so they could verify I had all the right documents and my calculations of what I owe were correct.