Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas refuses to renew registration of Tesla M3 without emissions test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my State inspection (Pass) at the Tesla Pond Springs service center yesterday. Subsequently, I tried to renew my registration online with the state. Multiple attempts resulted in a refusal, advising me that my vehicle did not qualify.
I contacted the Texas DMV and was advised that the Texas Environmental Quality had placed a hold on the registration because I needed an emission test.
I obviously pointed out that my vehicle was an electric vehicle. They said I would have to contact that agency and ask them to remove the block.
Upon calling that division, I was notified by a recorded message that everyone was working from home and I should send an email for assistance, but expect a delay.
Anyone else run into this?
Now you know how ignorant state governments can be!

Well, at least CA does a little bit better in that regard. Vehicles older than 1975 model year are exempt from the biennial smog test. And those ICE that are less than 4 model years old.

ref: Smog Inspections - California DMV
I doesn’t make any sense to me that they exempt older cars. They are the ones that needed it more than the newer ones. I guess that’s why you see old cars on the road leaving a smoke screen behind them.

The state of TX does not want or need and "Emissions" test for electric cars. What they need is a SAFETY inspection report. I take my M3 and MS to the local Jiffy Lube and get it done. The guys there know its and electric car so it does not need emissions testing. But, what they inspect are the headlights, the tail lights, the brake lights, turn signals and the brakes (with a short ride around the block). I live in the Houston metro area and have been doing this for the last 3+ years.

I think this is because they rely on the car data to show its “clean”. There is no sniffer, just an connection to the car data port.

and yes, that makes it miss the biggest polluters. It’s just a show.

Before the DeLorean aged to the 24-year mark, I did actually need an emissions test. There was a sensor attached to the tailpipe. The engine was well cared for, so it passed easily.

I don't see a problem exempting the ancient cars, since they can't really meet current standards, and are a tiny fraction of the cars on the road. I could actually bypass the safety inspection as well if I registered it as an Antique, but that would also limit where/when I could drive.

Reactions: Phlier
I have my own SMH story about the CA DMV. When my older daughter went to get her driving test (this is about 17 years ago) we had a few extra minutes before her appointment to drive around the DMV office in order for her to get familiar with the area. Something her private school driving instructor suggested we do. For the locals, this was in the town of Los Gatos.

When we parked in the DMV lot a lady (test examiner, as it turned out) came over to tell us that my daughter could not take her test because "I saw you out on the course earlier" and that it was "illegal" for her to be out there before her driving test. We had driven down the main stretch of town (N. Santa Cruz Ave.) and a couple of blocks west and east. I asked the examiner to show me the CA law or DMV regulation that covered this rule but she refused. I talked to her supervisor and was told it wasn't illegal (I kinda knew that already) and that I'd have to wait for another examiner. No explanation why the first examiner told us that, nor any apparent discipline / correction directed toward her. Over an hour later my daughter went out with another examiner and passed her test.

Is there a cocaine test involved? :) :p

my story: several years ago, before I traded up to our S, I lost vision in one eye due to accident and had to take a driving test to renew my license. I showed up to DMV in my track ready BMW M3. The DMV tester got in the passenger seat and while trying to adjust the seat hit the wrong lever and fell backwards (full recline)! I started uncontrollably laughing and she was not happy. I got out and went around car to get her righted. Thought for sure she was going to find some way to fail me. Started driving following her directions through town and entered the freeway. Decided to show her how quick I could get to 65 and apparently the seat wasn’t fully latched and dumper her backwards again! Anyway the only thing she dinged me for was not looking over my shoulder before I backed up parallel parking. I told her to look over her shoulder and she did. Said “Oh, now I know why” (couldn’t see past the roll cage). When she got out back at DMV, she smiled and said “Nice, fun car. Thanks!”
Can’t wait to do the test again in the S!

Ah ... Texas!!!! :rolleyes:

DedkPg3VMAAMV2v.jpg

Before the DeLorean aged to the 24-year mark, I did actually need an emissions test. There was a sensor attached to the tailpipe. The engine was well cared for, so it passed easily.

I don't see a problem exempting the ancient cars, since they can't really meet current standards, and are a tiny fraction of the cars on the road. I could actually bypass the safety inspection as well if I registered it as an Antique, but that would also limit where/when I could drive.
"if I registered it as an Antique, but that would also limit where/when I could drive." Really? What sort of restrictions are there?

"if I registered it as an Antique, but that would also limit where/when I could drive." Really? What sort of restrictions are there?

Well, there's no "Antique Car cops" lol but basically you can drive antiques only to car shows, in parades, etc. (no commuting to work in your restored Model T) and there are mileage limits. While a citation is unlikely, I would fear that my insurance would deny claims if the car were driven outside the proscribed usage.

I just received my State inspection (Pass) at the Tesla Pond Springs service center yesterday. Subsequently, I tried to renew my registration online with the state. Multiple attempts resulted in a refusal, advising me that my vehicle did not qualify.
I contacted the Texas DMV and was advised that the Texas Environmental Quality had placed a hold on the registration because I needed an emission test.
I obviously pointed out that my vehicle was an electric vehicle. They said I would have to contact that agency and ask them to remove the block.
Upon calling that division, I was notified by a recorded message that everyone was working from home and I should send an email for assistance, but expect a delay.
Anyone else run into this?

You still have to have a Vehicle Safety Inspection for $7 in Texas.
People forget the Annual Inspection is two parts; Vehicle Emissions and Vehicle Safety. Every vehicle must pass the Safety Inspection and only gas powered and diesel vehicles under 24 years old require the emissions testing.

Well, there's no "Antique Car cops" lol but basically you can drive antiques only to car shows, in parades, etc. (no commuting to work in your restored Model T) and there are mileage limits. While a citation is unlikely, I would fear that my insurance would deny claims if the car were driven outside the proscribed usage.
I have seen a few vintage muscle cars with antique plates. I dunno, to me that's just bizarre. Thanks!

There *IS* a serious question about how we pay for highway maintenance. Today it's through gas taxes. And that makes sense. The more you drive the more you pay. And except for lawn-mowers and mobile generators, gasoline consumption translates directly into road use.

But imagine a world with a fully-electric auto fleet (I know not coming for a very long time... but use your imagination.) Taxing electricity won't cut it, people use electricity for a LOT of other things. How should we as a society equitably apportion the cost for road maintenance to EV drivers? In California, they add a couple hundred bucks to EV registrations. But it's the same fee for all EV's. What if you don't drive much... or you drive a lot, is a flat fee still the right answer? Would you trust Elon to report your miles driven to the DMV and then pay on a per-mile basis? Looking for ideas here, since as EV drivers we are the ones who will be most impacted.

The drivers with low miles are disproportionately impacted. Personally I drive more than all 3 of my fellow friends with Tesla combined and not to mention, my car is grandfathered to not have added EV tax while cars after a July 1, 2020 have an extra yearly tax.

Trusting Elon to upload mileage may not go too well as other car mfgs do not have upload capability. Perhaps a more equitable approach would be to have an annual or biannual odometer inspection. I'm sure the majority of owners drive much less than the 19k miles that someone else on this forum calculated for Ohio owners

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I am also in Ohio... I do not mind a fee for the Roads, but I will need to drive my Model Y 19,000 miles per year to equal the $200 tax they impose compared to what a typical ICE car will pay. I suggestion to the state is to have one fee for those like me who drive less than 10,000 miles per year. (I am retire and travel by air when not under our current situation) and one fee for those who use their cars for business and drive a zillion miles per year. Thos that drive 60,000 miles per year on business are paying a third of what they would in an ICE car and I pay twice in taxes as what I would with an ICE car. It is really not a money issue, anyone who can afford a Tesla can afford the Taxes, but it really rubs me the wrong way as far as principals go...

A tiered approach is an excellent idea. As I mentioned in a nother post a few of my friends have Teslas. I drive more than all 3 of them combined. My EV tax is zero as I'm grandfathered in. One of them drives very little, a few thousand miles a year but pays $100 CA EV tax since it's beyond the grandfather date. There are Uber drivers and shuttle drivers out there that drive like 60k a year. Still in a state like CA where safety inspections are not required, there is currently no way to have the odometer inspected without a new process which will require considerable politics for implementation.