Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Supercharger Locations (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I would share this, from the official Tesla forum. I think we will get it sooner than we think;

"The event was attended by head of Tesla's SuperCharger build out and he shared a little more detail about Florida SCs - though no hard addresses. The information below is "on the record", so I'm pretty sure it is OK to share without treading on any toes.The Fort Myers location opens tomorrow.
The Port Orange location breaks ground next week.
"Pretty much confirmed" locations are:

• Fort Drum Service Plaza
  • Turkey Lake (Orlando) Service Plaza
  • Pompano Beach
St Augustine is on the list, but Larry Chanin is lobbying to switch it to the west coast as it is only 50 miles from the Port Orange location and therefore not really needed.
Weston is also on the list, but not confirmed.
There are 12 active construction sites in the US now, and things are ramping up. As has been previously been discussed the biggest issue (and biggest delay) is permitting.
The other tidbits of information are that sites WILL get retrofitted with solar and the 'spaceship' signs. These are not being included in the first build out because their height means the stations fall into different zoning regulations which delays the process. The goal is to get sites built as fast as possible, then finesse them afterwards.
TM doesn't like releasing target addresses of locations because if the site owner is indifferent or difficult TM may choose to relocate to another nearby site that is more willing. They don't want to build Model S owners hopes up about an exact location that might not happen."

Patience is the Key word.

My Opinion:
Supercharger stations will get built in Texas.
No, they didn't make the original anticipated date, and might not even make Sept. 21: BUT THEY WILL BE BUILT.

There is a lot of behind-the-scenes prep work and then the site selection, hiring of crews, permitting, manufacturing and purchasing of major electrical components.
A lot of pieces must ALL come together and be coordinated in order to have a flawless installation.

From my understanding, most of the INITIAL current ones will be pull-in stations which do NOT have the Solar panels with the roof (Like Hawthorne), so don't always be looking for a large mast and roof at EVERY Supercharger station.

It takes nine months to make a baby, and I would rather have them built correctly the first time.
And then up and running without problems.

Nothing would be worse than to have it built, and it NOT be working correctly, because then you might be stuck (or greatly inconvenienced).

Agree with your comments about being patient, but perhaps Elon shouldn't have jumped the gun and announced the schedule of supercharger installations when he couldn't deliver them. I'm really surprised that they're going to miss the schedule by more than 3 months. Elon's announcement raised a lot of hopes since he doesn't usually miss his committments by this much. If anything Tesla has undercommitted and over delivered.

I made my end-of-month contacts to resources in Temple and Madisonville and found no evidence that permits have been requested or other economic activity that might be related to Tesla. Of course, this doesn't meant that there is *not* activity going on, just that the people I contacted were not aware of it.

Unfortunately, unlike other Supercharger deployments, there aren't automated systems that make it easy to research this kind of construction (With the exception of Temple's permit system). Because I have to pester real people who are trying to get their jobs done, I only call once a month or so.

I found Temple's permit list and reviewed all of the permits issued since March. I didn't see anything in the $150-$300K range that looks promising. There were very few permits issued in that range and the addresses, contractors and property owners didn't seem likely.

The other thing I learned in Madisonville is that they only issued eleven permits last year. Something the size of a Supercharger would be "big news."