Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Supercharger Locations (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently they've missed some of their "end of the month" targets. One owner was told by a store rep that it may be August before we see the one between Austin and Dallas.
I'm thinking that the press release may have meant that they would have started on those Superchargers that were to be "end of the month" because if you look at the spots on the maps, the Texas spots change color between Summer and Fall 2013. Perhaps the ones in red are the finished ones and the others are underway. If so, the two shown in Summer (end of June?) in Texas don't turn red until Fall.

First, I am not sure the idea of the charging stationis being at the rest stops is valid since these are owned by TxDot and I am not sure a state agency can allow the installation of a simply put, privately owned feelings station (whether its electric or hydrocarbon based).
I thought the same, but the rest stops line up perfectly with where Tesla says they will be. Also the fact that the rest stops in Hillsboro aren't open to the public yet could explain the delay. Although granted, I would have expected to see some sign of an impending installation at minimum. Aren't some of the other supercharger locations around the country located at rest stops?

I thought the same, but the rest stops line up perfectly with where Tesla says they will be. Also the fact that the rest stops in Hillsboro aren't open to the public yet could explain the delay. Although granted, I would have expected to see some sign of an impending installation at minimum. Aren't some of the other supercharger locations around the country located at rest stops?
Isn't there an outlet mall in Hillsboro? Seems like they may be trying to colocate with outlet malls. Also doubt I35 rest stops because they would need one for each of the northbound and southbound sides.

I'm thinking that the press release may have meant that they would have started on those Superchargers that were to be "end of the month" because if you look at the spots on the maps, the Texas spots change color between Summer and Fall 2013. Perhaps the ones in red are the finished ones and the others are underway. If so, the two shown in Summer (end of June?) in Texas don't turn red until Fall.

The red ones are active, the gray ones are the new ones coming on-line. Musk did say end of June for the Texas ones. Apparently, he was mistaken.

Isn't there an outlet mall in Hillsboro? Seems like they may be trying to colocate with outlet malls. Also doubt I35 rest stops because they would need one for each of the northbound and southbound sides.
Yes, I actually visited this outlet mall on my way to look for Tesla chargers a couple of weeks ago. There is actually an L2 station by Blink already at this facility. However, this outlet mall was pretty pathetic in my opinion. There wasn't even a place to eat or any place with a public restroom. At least none of the places I tried had one. We had to get back in the car and go down the street to a gas station, of all ironies.

For what it's worth, here's my best guess at the locations listed on the Supercharger graphic: Supercharger | Tesla Motors

LocationCompletion DatePotential Location
TempleJune 2013 (Late)
MadisonvilleSummer 2013Buc-ee's
HillsboroFall 2013Outlets at Hillsboro
CorsicanaFall 2013Collin Street Bakery
San MarcosFall 2013San Marcos Premium Outlets
ColumbusFall 2013
Amarillo2014
Orange2014
Childress2015
Wichita Falls2015
Fort Worth2015
El Paso2015
Van Horn2015Chuy's Restaurant
Odessa2015
Sweetwater2015
Fort Stockton2015
Sonora2015
I'm willing to be talked into other likely locations, but these seem the most reasonable based on this set of dots.

The downside of the merge is that it now hides the current list in message 43.

+1 to whoever downplayed the Hillsboro outlet malls for the Hillsboro location. I drove through there yesterday snooping for a site. It is more of a failed mall really. Very few stores, and no dining or even a coffee shop. Mostly empty store fronts. But, ample parking for sure. There is a Blink EV station there I noticed.

But no construction that seems likely. There was one torn up end of a building, demo'ed down to the dirt. But hard to see how that can be a SC station in 3 weeks.

+1 to whoever downplayed the Hillsboro outlet malls for the Hillsboro location. I drove through there yesterday snooping for a site. It is more of a failed mall really. Very few stores, and no dining or even a coffee shop. Mostly empty store fronts. But, ample parking for sure. There is a Blink EV station there I noticed.

But no construction that seems likely. There was one torn up end of a building, demo'ed down to the dirt. But hard to see how that can be a SC station in 3 weeks.
Yes, it's not great. The one located around there isn't "promised" until the end of the Summer. The one that should be open any time now is supposedly near Tyler.

Yes, it's not great. The one located around there isn't "promised" until the end of the Summer. The one that should be open any time now is supposedly near Tyler.

Tyler?

IMHO (and realize, this is my opinion and mine alone) this is number four or five on the priority list for Tx. The corridors need coverage first. DFW-SAT/AUS-HOU triangle. Tyler only makes sense once you have the panhandle of FL working or a path to the east coast.

I, for one, will be surprised and disappointed if Tyler pops up first. Then again, I certainly did not see Normal Illinois coming either.

Tyler?

IMHO (and realize, this is my opinion and mine alone) this is number four or five on the priority list for Tx. The corridors need coverage first. DFW-SAT/AUS-HOU triangle. Tyler only makes sense once you have the panhandle of FL working or a path to the east coast.

I, for one, will be surprised and disappointed if Tyler pops up first. Then again, I certainly did not see Normal Illinois coming either.

Duh. Sorry. Fat fingers. I meant Temple. Somewhere around Temple was committed "by the end of the month". Which is June or July depending on how you count, I suppose.

As of yesterday, there were still no permits listed in the Temple permit database.

FWIW, I went back to the original press release which specified Austin to Dallas by June 30. I clicked the "Press Contact" email link. I simply asked for an update in light of the passing of the referenced date. Here is the response I received:

"Thanks for reaching out. We've announced that our Supercharger network will expand dramatically this summer. Please look for supercharger stations in your area within the next month or so. Unfortunately I am unable to give any specifics as to when your TX locations may be live, as we are still finalizing with state and utilities. We will keep you posted when we have more information. Thanks for your patience."

After receiving that note, I decided to just take a more laid back approach and just forget that the original comment was ever made. I'll be happy when they arrive, but I'm just going to exercise my patience in the interim. There will be plenty of Tesla road trips soon enough. Minor inconveniences this summer are not worth stressing about.

Andy