Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Supercharger Locations (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
<weak attempt here at reeling us all back in from the my-dad-can-beat-up-your-dad argument>

So it looks like the crates are there with the actual visible hardware to be installed. Excellent.

The "Waco will be open in two weeks" comment made - uh - about two weeks ago (12 days) seems like that flame has flickered its last.

Waco Scouting reports have come in like Syrian news videos - frequent and negative.

The two scenario I am looking at (now) are:

(1) Waco isn't waco, and it is West, or somewhere in between and we aren't seeing it because it is not even there

or

(2) Nothing has even been done, and that said reporters (San Antonio newspaper, tesla "representative") misspoke on Waco (or its locality) being the one that is next, when in fact, it is Columbus and the contractor who said it was going to take a while, meant a few days longer than he expected.

<sigh>

(I sigh, because the north I-35 one is going to profit me immensely)

Columbus is progressing!

Agreed. I snapped these photos 8.23.

20130823_113543.jpg
20130823_113424.jpg

I wonder what the wooden framing is for...perhaps another elevated concrete platform to protect equipment from possible flooding. Although it was great to see another supercharging station in the making, I was somewhat dismayed by the actual location. This Columbus station is in the back SE corner of a small hotel parking lot. You really have to know where this is in order to find it. Also, expansion at this location would be very difficult.

You really have to know where this is in order to find it. Also, expansion at this location would be very difficult.
This is why they put the lightning bolt on our maps to give us inch by inch directions to superchargers. And a frequent contributor to the Austin owners group scouted the site as well and said it appeared to be pre-wired for a number of additional chargers. The height is because it is in the f
100 year flood plain of the Colorado River.

I was somewhat dismayed by the actual location. This Columbus station is in the back SE corner of a small hotel parking lot. You really have to know where this is in order to find it.

Someone else made this same comment and I have chewed on it for a while. My buddy in high school had a diesel rabbit. The best theft prevention in the world (at the time) was to slap a diesel sticker on the back of a car - but I digress ... He always had a heck of a time just putting in a few gallons because we lived in the boonies and getting diesel meant heading to one of the main thoroughfares to find the trucker pump and fuel up.

This would be quasi-analagous to what you are stating - they are rare and far in between. But remember, these are going to be for people who are planning a long trip, and just like knowing the place where they have the best Pecan Log, or holding out for this restroom or that because they are cleaner, we (Model S owners) will easily take this location as gospel and utilize it - even if it was a mile and a half off the road (think Normal IL) behind a XXX video store and next to a manure processing facility.

Okay, those are extreme, but my point is, there is a little red lightning bolt on your screen in your car. That's what we need for now.

In 15 years, these things (SC, ChaDeMo, DC-FC) will be all over the place.

I agree that once the lightening bolt shows up on the map this will be a non-issue. I guess I am holding out hope for one of the canopy-type stations with solar panels being built somewhere in Texas. This would not only be great for marketing, but it just looks cool!

I agree that once the lightening bolt shows up on the map this will be a non-issue. I guess I am holding out hope for one of the canopy-type stations with solar panels being built somewhere in Texas. This would not only be great for marketing, but it just looks cool!

I read somewhere the plan was to first build out the stations attached to the grid, then add solar arrays then add battery-backup to make it completely grid-neutral.

My assumption is that the order is just how the permitting and construction worked out.
+1. Everyone would agree that each of the next three Texas SC's will be more important for inter-city travel than San Marcos.

behind a XXX video store
Interesting thought for those not interested in coffee, McDonald's or Outlet Mall shopping, though it would be a bit sensitive for trips with the kids :wink:

I guess I am holding out hope for one of the canopy-type stations with solar panels being built somewhere in Texas. This would not only be great for marketing, but it just looks cool!
+1 on the important marketing value of Tesla SC locations. That is why Buc-ee's (and Czech Stop) would be such good choices. Also one of those large phallic Tesla signs would be perfect at Sub's location suggestion mentioned above. :biggrin:

I think someone mentioned it before, but I really would love to have one of the Tesla-stamped panels from those crates. I would dumpster dive for one of those to mount in the garage.

Last edited:
I think someone mentioned it before, but I really would love to have one of the Tesla-stamped panels from those crates. I would dumpster dive for one of those to mount in the garage.

+1

The battery packs are delivered in similar crates, but the crates themselves are sent back and re-used for another battery. So my guess is - in keeping with environmental conscious practicing - the SC crates are also meeting the same multi use.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait a minute!

Look closely at that box - It says Fra-gee-lay!

It must be Italian!

I posted this to some friends who are not necessarily familar with Teslas. Just ignore the parts inappropriate for this forum.

Title "Virginity Lost"
---
About a week ago, they had a ribbon cutting at the first Texas SuperCharger in San Marcos.
http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger/sanmarcos
I had previously been by about three times; each time the power was off. For the ribbon cutting, I didn't want to have to contend with the other 25-30 Teslas in attendance. So, I went over there today to get my first supercharge. GREAT GOBS of STREAMING STEAMING ELECTRONS! My poor Tesla was completely overcome by the intense attention! She was limp, sweaty and begging for more!

For the full SuperCharger story, especially planned expansion:
http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

The charge site is well positioned, close to the food court but far enough away from parking spaces that are attractive to ICEs. No other Teslas there today. Five charge slots. I started with a "rated range" of 96 miles, meaning I was about 2/3 down from a full charge. I plugged it in at 1:27pm and got the following numbers: 246 amps, 365 volts, 280 m/h. It started charging at the rate of 280 miles worth of energy per hour. The voltage and amperage indicates right at 90kw. I am running version 4.5 firmware; version 5 is supposed to enable 120kw charging. The new SuperChargers are supposed to charge at 120kw. At 1:57pm, I was doing 108 amps into 391 volts (42kw) , 210 m/h. "Rated range" was up to 202 miles, about 2/3 of a full charge. I picked up about 1/3 of a full charge in 1/2 hour but my charge rate was declining. That's normal and to be expected. Another 1/2 hour might have given me a full charge. No messing around with credit or RFID cards. Just plug in and get charged. The cost of the charging is included in the price of the car.

My highest onboard charger (that is, not SuperCharger) rate is 10kw. Teslas equipped with "twin chargers" might charge up to 20kw.

We should have new SuperChargers in Columbus, Huntsville, and Waco in just a few weeks. Ground has been broken on at least the Columbus site.

I arrived on Center Point Road from the southeast. I attempted to leave on the IH35 frontage road but heavy traffic encouraged me to go back to Center Point Road to the southeast.

Agreed. I snapped these photos 8.23.

View attachment 29195 View attachment 29196

I wonder what the wooden framing is for...perhaps another elevated concrete platform to protect equipment from possible flooding. Although it was great to see another supercharging station in the making, I was somewhat dismayed by the actual location. This Columbus station is in the back SE corner of a small hotel parking lot. You really have to know where this is in order to find it. Also, expansion at this location would be very difficult.

Thanks for the updated photos.

Correct: plywood will provide lateral framing for new cast-in-place concrete platform.
Rebar and new metal posts (for high fence and possibly new gate) can be seen just above the top of the formwork.
Transformers weigh A LOT, so that is probably the most efficient way to locate them up and away from (potential) flood waters.

Earlier photo by moorelin (8-19-13) on Houston thread # 380 indicated freshly poured piers with adjacent wood framing.
The piers caps are now trimmed out, almost ready for whatever will be setting on them.
They are much too close together to be for the desired roof structure and solar panel installation, probably the base/foundation for some sort of raised frame for the Supercharger modules.
***Correction from my earlier thoughts: three green items are test cores for concrete, not electrical conduit stub-ups. They don't show up in the current photos.***

The scope of this Supercharger Station looks to be very complex and sophisticated to accommodate potential floods.
Thus: it will take much longer to build and complete than the typical SC installation.
My quick guess, probably another three to four weeks if everything falls in place as planned.
Might actually be longer, because formal inspections have to be done during different phases of construction before the NEXT phase can commence.
It is a process, and it does require patience.

Question for those who have charged in San Marcos: How high did the supercharger power get before ramping back down?

In my 60, the max I reached was 70 kW.

That was late at night by myself. It was still in the high 80's and the battery cooler kicked in so that might be a limiting factor.

Anyone go higher?

The "Waco will be open in two weeks" comment made - uh - about two weeks ago (12 days) seems like that flame has flickered its last.

Waco Scouting reports have come in like Syrian news videos - frequent and negative.

The two scenario I am looking at (now) are:

(1) Waco isn't waco, and it is West, or somewhere in between and we aren't seeing it because it is not even there

or

(2) Nothing has even been done, and that said reporters (San Antonio newspaper, tesla "representative") misspoke on Waco (or its locality) being the one that is next, when in fact, it is Columbus and the contractor who said it was going to take a while, meant a few days longer than he expected.

The Current Supercharger Map indicates TWO will be completed by Summer 2013.
San Marcos' RED DOT is Golden.
Huntsville is the other DOT, still indicated as GREY.

Sorry, Waco/West/Hillsboro is an invisible DOT during Summer 2013.

Fall 2013, there are TWO RED DOTS, San Marcos and Huntsville.
So the two weeks "until Waco opens" is OFF the table as being viable for this Summer.
There are THREE remaining GREY DOTS (Temple is GONE from further consideration).
Columbus is confirmed as one of them (for sure), and from the looks of things, still have a lot to accomplish.
Still have not identified/confirmed the other two locations.

Is there anyone who has actually been to Huntsville and seen any meaningful construction going on?
Maybe the Supercharger Map is just inaccurate, maybe it is Madisonville?
Any Photos would be nice too!!!

The Current Supercharger Map indicates TWO will be completed by Summer 2013.
San Marcos' RED DOT is Golden.
Huntsville is the other DOT, still indicated as GREY.

Sorry, Waco/West/Hillsboro is an invisible DOT during Summer 2013.

Fall 2013, there are TWO RED DOTS, San Marcos and Huntsville.
So the two weeks "until Waco opens" is OFF the table as being viable for this Summer.
There are THREE remaining GREY DOTS (Temple is GONE from further consideration).
Columbus is confirmed as one of them (for sure), and from the looks of things, still have a lot to accomplish.
Still have not identified/confirmed the other two locations.

Is there anyone who has actually been to Huntsville and seen any meaningful construction going on?
Maybe the Supercharger Map is just inaccurate, maybe it is Madisonville?
Any Photos would be nice too!!!

I think you have captured and clearly communicated the best information to date.

Question for those who have charged in San Marcos: How high did the supercharger power get before ramping back down?

In my 60, the max I reached was 70 kW.

That was late at night by myself. It was still in the high 80's and the battery cooler kicked in so that might be a limiting factor.

Anyone go higher?
I charged after the ribbon cutting. Starting with 20 miles on the clock, it had added 50 miles when I checked. The readouts were 218 amps, 324 volts, and 230 mph. 218 x 324 = 70.632 kW. I am on 4.5 software.

Last edited:
I just looked at the map again on the Tesla website, and I'm convinced that the grey dot on the Fall 2013 map is Hillsboro. It looks to be where I-35 East & West split off, which is just north of Hillsboro. That outlet mall there is really depressing, but I think it's a great location if there was also one further south closer to Austin (like Temple). If only one between Dallas & Austin, then Waco should've been the choice. I know these are broken record comments, but I'm buying a vacation home in the Hill Country and don't know that just a Hillsboro supercharger (San Marcos is too far south and requires backtracking) will make taking the Tesla a practical move. That's pretty disappointing considering where the 2 Dallas>Austin dots were on the map just a month or so back.

It is now clear that Tesla is being somewhat opportunistic on timing of SC placements. E.g., Woodburn, OR was scheduled as a "Fall 2013" site, but will be inaugurated this coming Thursday, Aug. 29-- very much a summer date. So the fact that the Texas schedule is a little scrambled is actually a good thing. They seem to be pushing everywhere as fast as possible. Some sites are caught in red tape, some are zooming forward. That is the way the world outside Fremont works, after all!

I got up to 244 amps at 364 volts yielding 248 mph for total power of 88.816 (~90 kW) at San Marcos.

Do you have a 60 or 85?

How empty was your battery before charging?

Did you share the Supercharger with any other cars?

Which charging cable did you use? (They are labeled 1A/B, 2A/B, and 3.)

What was the temperature outside?

Just trying to understand what effects max supercharger power.

Thanks for the reply!

Doug Gallarda:

I charged at San Marcos 8 days ago. It was over 95 Deg F. I had about 80 mi of range on my 85 kWh battery. Initially I was getting 280 mi/hr and was pulling 90 kW. I have 4.5 firmware. I was the only one charging. When I came back to move the car. Some Austin Tesla Store employees were in a white Model S. They asked if I got 120 kW. Maybe they thought I had 5.0 firmware.

LagunaDallas:

You should be able to make the Hill Country from Hillsboro, TX. If you buy a vacation home, you can get a range charge at your vacation home before your return trip. I hope it works out for you.