Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

texas vehicle inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I looked but didn't see anything. I ass-u-ming it's accessible from the outside of the console, no the inside

I'll look again

I just read that S and X have the standard port in the standard place, but 3 and Y have a Tesla only thing that you can (see what I did there?) get an adaptor for to convert to regular OBD. Still looking though

Last edited:
Hello, I’m from Texas and currently working out of state in OH. Just test drive a Model 3 Long Range and immediately loved it. If I were to purchase it out here in Detroit, MI because the vehicle is zero emissions I can technically have it inspected in any state without any issues right?

Hello, I’m from Texas and currently working out of state in OH. Just test drive a Model 3 Long Range and immediately loved it. If I were to purchase it out here in Detroit, MI because the vehicle is zero emissions I can technically have it inspected in any state without any issues right?
Inspection is part of the registration process. Where do you plan on registering it? How long will you be out of state?

No, I don’t believe they would accept an out of state inspection. There may be a process for out of state cars.

You're registering it in Texas? You would get the paperwork to register it when you get back home and run a temp permit till then.

I bought the PriusV from a place in Santa Fe and when it got shipped to Texas I had to both inspect and register it, even though it had a valid NM inspection cert

Inspection is part of the registration process. Where do you plan on registering it? How long will you be out of state?

No, I don’t believe they would accept an out of state inspection. There may be a process for out of state cars.
You're registering it in Texas? You would get the paperwork to register it when you get back home and run a temp permit till then.
I was thinking of purchasing in Detroit Michigan since it’s only an hour away from Toledo but won’t be back in Texas until late June.
How long is the temp permit good for? And can it get renewed till I get back to TX. Assuming I order this week and delivery date estimated March. I should be finishing the project I’m at by late June.

I was thinking of purchasing in Detroit Michigan since it’s only an hour away from Toledo but won’t be back in Texas until late June.

How long is the temp permit good for? And can it get renewed till I get back to TX. Assuming I order this week and delivery date estimated March. I should be finishing the project I’m at by late June.

When I bought my MS I had 30 days to go to the County office and pay the taxes and registration fee since I was technically buying the car in California and having it shipped to Texas. Since the car was brand new I did not have to get it inspected; I got the 2-year inspection sticker with my registration.