Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text Messages Not Working with iPhone SE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I got the 2019.40.50.1 update. I turned on all of the options in the Tesla menu for text messages, and went to the bluetooth screen on my iPhone, clicked the (i) for Tesla Model 3, and turned on notifications. However, the text messages still don't work. If I go in the Tesla menu to the phone, then messages, it shows nothing (after having wife text me a few times after the options changes).

Anyone get this to work on an iPhone SE?

I got it to work on my iPhone 6s running iOS 13.3 without any difficulty. As I recall, the iPhone 6s and the iPhone SE have the same guts. Even with Do Not Disturb While Driving active and auto-replying to an incoming iMessage, I got a notification card on the Tesla screen and was able to have it read the message aloud to me.

It sounds like you got everything set correctly. Try using the Reconnect button on the Tesla in-car display under the Bluetooth settings. If that doesn't work, the only other suggestion I have would be to try the on-screen suggestion of removing the Bluetooth connection between the car/iPhone (you should delete it from both the car and iPhone Bluetooth settings) and then repairing the device. You may need to re-establish you Phone Key if you delete the Bluetooth connectivity.

13.3.1 on my SE
From twitter “ To enable text messaging with the new update you do the following:
On the Tesla display, go to bluetooth connected phones, next to your phone click the little ">" to pull up the bluetooth settings for that connected phone, then click RECONNECT. When it reconnects it will ask for permission to access your text messages.“
Will try later when 3 is back home.

• Helpful
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
Will try later when 3 is back home.

Works.
83D4412C-FFF8-463E-B069-79871C81DD3B.jpeg
DBB5637E-84AF-4051-9D4B-F8AE477A3534.jpeg

I tried re-pairing the phone. Now I can receive messages ok. However, oddly, I can't reply to messages. I know how it should work, I think. With my wife's phone, after the message is read, you can tap on the message to reply. But on my phone, there is no tap to reply.

Reactions: sbtz
On the phone? The whole idea is it should hands free. Tap the car screen (not so hands free) or press the right steering wheel button (at least the hands are on the wheel) to have it read allowed and again to reply

On the phone? The whole idea is it should hands free. Tap the car screen (not so hands free) or press the right steering wheel button (at least the hands are on the wheel) to have it read allowed and again to reply
No, on the car. It will read the message to me, but I can't reply to it. Tapping on message on the Tesla screen doesn't work like it does with wife's phone (in fact, unless we remember incorrectly, on wife's iPhone the message on Tesla screen actually says "tap to reply" or something like that, whereas on my iPhone it does not). Right scroll button doesn't work either.

I just purchased a Tesla 3 and am using Iphone 6. this is the buggiest software I've ever seen - text messages: cannot reply - as mentioned above there is no reaction when clicking the small right wheel on the steering wheel nor is there anything that happens if you tap where it says to tap... we cannot reply to any messages!...

I just purchased a Tesla 3 and am using Iphone 6. this is the buggiest software I've ever seen - text messages: cannot reply - as mentioned above there is no reaction when clicking the small right wheel on the steering wheel nor is there anything that happens if you tap where it says to tap... we cannot reply to any messages!...

As mentioned earlier in the thread you need iOS 13 for it to work right.

And your phone is too old to run iOS 13. 6S is the oldest that it supports.

I'm saying it because it's been mentioned both earlier in this thread, and by others in a few other threads, that this feature needs iOS 13.x to work correctly, and I know the 6 doesn't support 13.x

I can't say if those folks are correct or not (mine was already on 13 when I first used the update) but you should be able to find out yourself when you try your daughters phone... (it also requires setting changes on both the car and phone side- I believe the car release notes detail those)

I got it to work on my iPhone 6s running iOS 13.3 without any difficulty. As I recall, the iPhone 6s and the iPhone SE have the same guts. Even with Do Not Disturb While Driving active and auto-replying to an incoming iMessage, I got a notification card on the Tesla screen and was able to have it read the message aloud to me.

It sounds like you got everything set correctly. Try using the Reconnect button on the Tesla in-car display under the Bluetooth settings. If that doesn't work, the only other suggestion I have would be to try the on-screen suggestion of removing the Bluetooth connection between the car/iPhone (you should delete it from both the car and iPhone Bluetooth settings) and then repairing the device. You may need to re-establish you Phone Key if you delete the Bluetooth connectivity.
How did you get iOS 13.3 on your 6s? I have a 6s and didn’t think we could get any more major updates.

How did you get iOS 13.3 on your 6s? I have a 6s and didn’t think we could get any more major updates.

6s supports 13

Apple.com said:
iOS 13 is compatible with these devices.
  • iPhone 11
  • iPhone 11 Pro
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max
  • iPhone XS
  • iPhone XS Max
  • iPhone XR
  • iPhone X
  • iPhone 8
  • iPhone 8 Plus
  • iPhone 7
  • iPhone 7 Plus
  • iPhone 6s
  • iPhone 6s Plus
  • iPhone SE
  • iPod touch (7th generation)

I’m on the latest iOS 13.3.1 with an 11 Pro Max and reply doesn’t work for me either. Does it work for anyone? After more testing, I can reply to myself but I can’t reply to other iMessage messages. This tells me perhaps this is a big filed under “cannot send to group text messages” even though it’s not a group. Tried forgetting and repairing and all that.

Last edited: