Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thank you Elon (MY thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

52 16 57 39

BioDiesel & Electrons
Nov 20, 2020
Tacoma, WA
Thank you Elon,

...for a washer fluid reservoir that accepts a full 1Gallon (3.79L) of washer fluid.

A07E7AA5-79A2-4B5B-958A-0397E42AACAA.jpeg

I absolutely hate filling up my other vehicles’ washer fluid reservoirs to the absolute maximum only to find out that I have 1/3 of the recently purchased 1Gallon (3.79L) left over... that sits in my garage until I purchase another 1Gallon only to realize I have another 1/3 full container that didn’t get finished last time.

I filled up Eleanor (my MSM MYP) today with fresh washer fluid and was surprised at how much she drank!!

Sincerely,
Michael

Most cars do this nowadays but yes great to have.

Little story.......Way back both my brother and I both bought Mazda B-2000 pick up trucks. He lives in New Hampshire and I am near Montreal Canada. He came up to visit and we popped hoods to compare vehicles. Nothing was different, I mean nothing to the naked eye with one exception. He had a tiny washer fluid container and mine easily took a full gallon. Amazing how manufacturers can change little items depending on which country they are being delivered to.

FYI for those who may not know, but the size of a gallon is not the same in the US and Canada, perhaps it has something to do with it or may be not. Who knows... In the US a gallon is 128 fl oz = 3.785 litres. In Canada and Europe they use the imperial (UK) gallon which is 4.546 litres = almost 154 fl oz. It makes fuel economy ratings done in MPG between US and Canada/Europe confusing, since the size of a gallon changes, you can drive much further on a gallon outside the US. That is why you see fuel economy ratings outside the US in litres per 100 km, partly because of metric system, but also to avoid the confusion of differing sizes for a gallon.

• Informative
Reactions: gavine
That is why you see fuel economy ratings outside the US in litres per 100 km, partly because of metric system, but also to avoid the confusion of differing sizes for a gallon.
Just to make things more confusing, except for the UK where the metric system is (or maybe 'should be'...) used for virtually everything except driving :) So they use mpg based on the imperial gallon.

Side-rant: why did the US divert from the UK system? I still don't like my pints (beer) here are only 80% of what I should be getting ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Mitchoacan
Just to make things more confusing, except for the UK where the metric system is (or maybe 'should be'...) used for virtually everything except driving :) So they use mpg based on the imperial gallon.

Side-rant: why did the US divert from the UK system? I still don't like my pints (beer) here are only 80% of what I should be getting ;)

83 1/3%. The UK pint is 20% larger, not 25% larger. The US fluid ounce is about 4% larger than the Imperial fluid ounce.

Learned something new here. So the difference between the UK and US measurement system is even worse than I thought...

Still being short-changed though.

You can always buy a 20oz and get an extra 4%.

Just be happy at the increased choice.

I drink hard cider (because you shouldn't make drink from cereal), and when I moved here in 2007 the good places had 1 cider (almost always Woodchuck) and the bad places had none. Now the good places have choices, sometimes with 1 on a keg, and the bad places have Angry Orchard.

Well this thread started off as a Thank You Elon for... and now I’m thirsty for a beer (or hard cider)...

but another thank you to Elon is that the entire car uses Metric fasteners!!

As a science teacher - metric system rules and I wish we had a way to help the rest of our nation understand how easy it is - the only number to know is 10, the movement of a decimal left or right and prefixes determine everything.

I hope you guys/gals know that Canada did go metric back in 1970 but yes we did use the imperial (UK) gallon back then. Being so close to the US some of our containers do still come in 3.78l format which is 1 US gallon. Most everything today is in liter containers which are typically 1, 2 or 4L or my favorite is motor oil in 5L jugs. Hmmm, motor oil, why do I need this. :D

All milage is calculate in L/100km and pumps are all in Liters. Heck even our money is metric as it multiplies and divides by 10 so please do not say you do not use metric in the states as your money is in fact metric, other wise it would take 12 cents to make a quarter and 48 cents to make a dollar. o_O

Sorry about the hijack

Semi related.. does the MY have a "low washer fluid" indicator/warning?

My last car (Chevy Bolt) didn't have one and it was really missed.
Yes, when you get in the car a green message will show up, and there will be a white triangle with an exclamation point in it at the top right of the screen.
I'm low too, but i think it has a leak.... But that has nothing to do with this thread.

• Informative
Reactions: NY_Rob