Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thank you Tesla for making a Autopilot affordable to more people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The hardware upgrade comes with the purchase of FSD. They can't sell you something that requires further purchases just to function without disclosing that fact.

Yes in a way they can. Right now what you get with FSD is what you already had with EAP. The only new feature they promised is one day you get stop sign / traffic light recognition.

When more features get added, there is nothing stopping them from re-working the categories and adding something above FSD - call it Super FSD. They may even say you get the software free for SFSD, but you need to pay for 'HW4' or whatever they are up by then to use it. They never promised you that buy buying FSD you will get every new thing they come out with and hardware that can run it.

Anyhow if it is not in writing I would not assume that is what will happen. For the features they already have promised for FSD HW2.5 will work as they are the current EAP features.

When more features get added, there is nothing stopping them from re-working the categories and adding something above FSD - call it Super FSD. They may even say you get the software free for SFSD, but you need to pay for 'HW4' or whatever they are up by then to use it.

I think it's pretty obvious that "Full Self Driving" means "Full Self Driving". If they were selling software without the hardware it needs to run, they would need to disclose they are only selling the software for that price. Can we not argue about the ridiculous?

That is simply spreading FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt).

While Tesla's rapid growth last year did impact the ability to service the large influx of new Tesla's, Tesla's financial position is actually quite strong compared to the previous 10 years. They have around 2.5 billion in cash (that's 2,500 million) even after paying down nearly $1 billion in notes that recently became due. Their production capacity is at an all-time high.

Tesla is excited about the roll-out of V3.0 hardware and wants to get it installed in the fleet ASAP so they can continue to grow the capabilities of FSD by using the valuable data returned from the fleet (not the entire fleet, only those who have paid for FSD). The $2,000 charge for FSD makes this possible without negatively impacting their finances. In fact, they will probably make a decent profit off the hardware installs.

You are sounding like the shorts over on Seeking Alpha who expect Tesla to go bankrupt any day (for the last 10 years).
Not gonna happen.

I wouldn’t own a M3 if I expected Tesla to go bankrupt anytime soon. But, their finances are problematic.

I just want to make sure they understand that buying FSD is a gamble. Maybe it’ll come to fruition, maybe not. For sure there is no guarantee that Tesla will provide any new hardware.

I wouldn’t own a M3 if I expected Tesla to go bankrupt anytime soon. But, their finances are problematic.

Worst case scenario, the get another round of funding, something they have been avoiding because they don't want to dilute current ownership unless it's necessary.

I just want to make sure they understand that buying FSD is a gamble. Maybe it’ll come to fruition, maybe not. For sure there is no guarantee that Tesla will provide any new hardware.

Nothing in life is a sure thing except for taxes and death. Everything else is a gamble. But the odds on this are pretty good. All Model 3's purchased now are already equipped with Hardware Ver. 3.

The pricing went live for you? I'm still showing $3,500. Maybe if I end my EAP trial it'll show up...

EAP was $7k post-delivery I thought. If they applied the 50% off to your account still and you would want Summon, Nav on AutoPilot, AutoPark, then I'd pull the trigger to get them all for $3.5k. If you wait until the pricing goes to $2k for TACC and AutoSteer, then its another $3k for those three extra features and you will have paid $5k instead of $3.5k. But then you do get future features. Pick your poison.

I think it's pretty obvious that "Full Self Driving" means "Full Self Driving". If they were selling software without the hardware it needs to run, they would need to disclose they are only selling the software for that price. Can we not argue about the ridiculous?

Given Tesla has many times changed the definition of what things are and what is included and have promisied one thing and done another, it becomes really hard not to argue about the ridiculous when it comes to Tesla.

Right now today, if upgrade to FSD from EAP you get nothing. No new features. you also do not get a detailed contract of what you will get in the future.

The hardware upgrade comes with the purchase of FSD. They can't sell you something that requires further purchases just to function without disclosing that fact.

No one said it would need to be purchased, you are not reading the hidden message in this nor do you seem to realize they have intentionally not mentioned hardware in specific terms on the upgrade and why Elon made the modified comment he did. I assume you bought FSD as well.

Given Tesla has many times changed the definition of what things are and what is included and have promisied one thing and done another, it becomes really hard not to argue about the ridiculous when it comes to Tesla.

Right now today, if upgrade to FSD from EAP you get nothing. No new features. you also do not get a detailed contract of what you will get in the future.

Someone is on to something:)

Tesla's website states that every Model 3 already comes standard with the hardware capable of FSD now and in the future.

And what is the definition of FSD? (today as it just changed)

Here is what some experts say about Tesla use of the term -https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/02/tech/tesla-full-self-driving/index.html

From what I have read the current Tesla Hardware (even HW3) cannot deliver true FSD (IE Level 4/5). They can offer level 2.

The Telsa way seems to be if you can offer what you promised, you just redefine what it is. Elon claims that navigate on Autopilot is FSD. Experts in true self driving say that claim is BS

Last edited:
All Model 3's purchased now are already equipped with Hardware Ver. 3.

Do you have a link to confirm this? Nothing I've seen yet indicates that the 'new' FSD promised features will work on existing hardware, in fact the opposite

I can believe employee cars might have alpha/beta hardware but I wonder if any customer cars have it yet ... Elon probably has HW3 autopilot.. Would be interesting if it really is in the wild now..

• Informative
Reactions: COrocket
And what is the definition of FSD? (today as it just changed)

Here is what some experts say about Tesla use of the term -https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/02/tech/tesla-full-self-driving/index.html

From what I have read the current Tesla Hardware (even HW3) cannot deliver true FSD (IE Level 4/5). They can offer level 2.

The Telsa way seems to be if you can offer what you promised, you just redefine what it is. Elon claims that navigate on Autopilot is FSD. Experts in true self driving say that claim is BS

True, Tesla can keep changing what they call FSD, but they are making the statement now that all Model 3's currently have the hardware for FSD now and in the future. If they list something as part of FSD now then a current car should have the hardware to support that feature. If they add new features to FSD then I would expect a current car to utilize that feature as well. Now if they add new features and put them in a new category and call it like Super FSD then that could be an out for them. Nobody really knows for sure what is going to happen but Tesla better stop making statements, especially on their website, that they don't keep.