Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thank you Tesla for making a Autopilot affordable to more people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People have claimed that Tesla is struggling to get FSD running on the current 2.5 hardware, and therefore Tesla will have to swap out the computer with the 3.0 hardware to run FSD. From what I’ve read it’s 10x increase in processing power and some redundancy built in. I think it’s best to wait until FSD actually starts appearing in cars to see its specs, what the software costs then, if Tesla is going to have to upgrade current owners who pre-ordered FSD, and if there are going to be additional charges for that hardware swap.

So is it confirmed that buying FSD for $2000 now will include 3.0 HW?

Can anyone advise how long it takes to activate AutoPilot once it's purchased for the 2k for people without EAP? Is it immediate like accepting the trial of EAP?

I too, feel for those who purchased EAP and FSD at inception. I felt it wasn't mature enough and not worth the initial price. I only was interested in Auto Steer and TACC. For 2k, it's almost a no-brainer.

Reactions: GregRF
The pricing went live for you? I'm still showing $3,500. Maybe if I end my EAP trial it'll show up...

I bought EAP with the car and today, for the first time ever, my Tesla account is showing only $2,000 for FSD. I don't want to miss out on this price but I suspect it will be around for at least a few weeks. So I'll probably buy it in two to three weeks.

I know FSD probably won't be approved for at least a couple of years but the new, faster, processor board that the FSD upgrade comes with will probably make EAP perform a bit better too.

I bought EAP with the car and today, for the first time ever, my Tesla account is showing only $2,000 for FSD. I don't want to miss out on this price but I suspect it will be around for at least a few weeks. So I'll probably buy it in two to three weeks.

I know FSD probably won't be approved for at least a couple of years but the new, faster, processor board that the FSD upgrade comes with will probably make EAP perform a bit better too.
I bought it at 2k because it's not likely to get cheaper and I want to be farther up in line when the new hardware releases. Having my car pick me up from a parking lot will be worth the price of admission alone.

Can anyone advise how long it takes to activate AutoPilot once it's purchased for the 2k for people without EAP? Is it immediate like accepting the trial of EAP?

I too, feel for those who purchased EAP and FSD at inception. I felt it wasn't mature enough and not worth the initial price. I only was interested in Auto Steer and TACC. For 2k, it's almost a no-brainer.

Should be almost immediate, but some report it took a bit of time.
Nothing is confirmed. Assume you will get the features currently available with FSD (if you already have EAP, there are none). Anything beyond that is a "maybe."
Zero chance you don't get the new hardware with the 2k FSD. If not then you can't use FSD features.

my 5k preorder now only costing 2k wouldn't hurt so much if the stock also didn't drop at the same time ;)

Hopefully this infusion of cashflow from the AP upgraders gets the stock bumped up. I advised my friends and colleagues without FSD to purchase at the 2k price, seems like a no brainer for the HW3 computer at that price.

Zero chance you don't get the new hardware with the 2k FSD. If not then you can't use FSD features.

The only current FSD features are the old EAP features that were moved to the FSD tier (summon & auto park). The existing hardware can handle that. If the description next to the price doesn't say you'll get new hardware, then you shouldn't count on it. You may get it if Tesla's finances improve. If not, there is now way they're retrofitting tens-of-thousands of cars.

Reactions: Mod3forMe
You may get it if Tesla's finances improve. If not, there is now way they're retrofitting tens-of-thousands of cars.

That is simply spreading FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt).

While Tesla's rapid growth last year did impact the ability to service the large influx of new Tesla's, Tesla's financial position is actually quite strong compared to the previous 10 years. They have around 2.5 billion in cash (that's 2,500 million) even after paying down nearly $1 billion in notes that recently became due. Their production capacity is at an all-time high.

Tesla is excited about the roll-out of V3.0 hardware and wants to get it installed in the fleet ASAP so they can continue to grow the capabilities of FSD by using the valuable data returned from the fleet (not the entire fleet, only those who have paid for FSD). The $2,000 charge for FSD makes this possible without negatively impacting their finances. In fact, they will probably make a decent profit off the hardware installs.

You are sounding like the shorts over on Seeking Alpha who expect Tesla to go bankrupt any day (for the last 10 years).
Not gonna happen.

I bought yesterday, and it hasn't "activated" yet. I think it said something like "up to 3 days".

Tesla said that starting next month you could do something more immediate from your phone app, but for now there seems to be a lag from "web order" to car being enabled.

Tesla's website states that every Model 3 already comes standard with the hardware capable of FSD. Yet I have read that some of the FSD features not available now will require HW3. So if everyone has HW2.5 now that contradicts what Tesla's website states. Maybe everyone will be upgraded for free to HW3. Or am I not understanding things correctly?

You get a new chip installed, how much cheaper can it be?

Let me know when you get yours so I can order at half the price. At $2000 you need to drive quite a bit or each stop at a light is about $1. They did not make it more affordable it was way overpriced and they need people on the system because only people with posters of Musk on their bedroom wall paid for it in advance. I'm a complete Tesla fan or was until lately but man what is everyone drinking?

It's pretty much a no-brainer that the new hardware board (3.0) and installation comes with the purchase of FSD.

They should put that description on the website next to the "buy now" button as it is closer to reality in its commitment. Does anyone wonder why they don't explicitly put in writing that new hardware is included withe the upgrade on the website? If it were 100% it would be clearly stated I can assure you. I'm not saying it may not happen but any time you have something to sell you use the benefits to market it. I know how Tesla words things and they do these things intentionally.

Let me know when you get yours so I can order at half the price. At $2000 you need to drive quite a bit or each stop at a light is about $1. They did not make it more affordable it was way overpriced and they need people on the system because only people with posters of Musk on their bedroom wall paid for it in advance. I'm a complete Tesla fan or was until lately but man what is everyone drinking?
You mean to tell us all, that you didn't drink the koolaid?

They should put that description on the website next to the "buy now" button as it is closer to reality in its commitment. Does anyone wonder why they don't explicitly put in writing that new hardware is included withe the upgrade on the website? If it were 100% it would be clearly stated I can assure you. I'm not saying it may not happen but any time you have something to sell you use the benefits to market it. I know how Tesla words things and they do these things intentionally.

The hardware upgrade comes with the purchase of FSD. They can't sell you something that requires further purchases just to function without disclosing that fact.