Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to Justify the Cost of Enhanced Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife would like to upgrade Tessie (see sig) to Enhanced Autopilot. We do a lot of freeway driving (we live in a rural area), and she wants EAP so that the car will change lanes when the turn signal is depressed.

Happy wife, happy life, so I want to justify the $6,000 expense. My rationalizations so far:

1. It's safer to have the car change lanes automatically
2. The upgrade will add value to the car when we sell it (True? Guess as to how much??).

Other considerations:

a. She understands that putting on the directional signal makes it easier for the steering wheel turn to break out of AP, and that she can double tap to put it back into AP as she gets to the new lane.
b. EAP won't stop for stop signs, which is a safety issue when going from one car to the other. Hasn't been a problem yet.
c. I don't use autopark on Nick because I can do it faster, but if autopark with Teslavision ever comes back, she could possibly use it (but I doubt she will. She's never used it with Nick).
d. She will never use Summon.

Thoughts?

We didn't get it on our 2022 MYLR (actually they didn't offer it separately then), and have not added it since it was offered separately.

I have a hard time justifying it at $6K even though the features would be nice. I have FSD on our 2018 M3LR and us it (when my wife isn't in the car...).

Most other cars at the price point include features like enhanced AP, Tesla should too.

I agree with what has been said.

Here's the question that hasn't been answered yet:

How much resale value would it add to the car??
Virtually zero.

As for the rest, you already use FSDb yourself, so presumably your wife either has used it in your car, or could, so you already know how it works for the locations you want to use it.

FSD itself only seems to add somewhere between zero to 2k ish, depending on who you are trying to sell to. EAP would obviously be less than that, so it would be best to consider it zero additional on resale, just like almost every single other add on. If you are looking for a financial reason, there isnt one.

I always add aftermarket audio systems to my cars in the past. I'd spend thousands on new speakers, subwoofers, and amps. How much did my car resale value increase because of my investment? None. I've never gotten more than bluebook. If you sell private party and are good at negotiating, you may see an increase in value for FSD, otherwise don't expect any increase for it at any dealer as a trade in.

If it is that important to your wife, why doesn't she buy it? Everyone has their own cost-benefit calculation wrt FSD and EAP. It doesn't seem to be worth it to her, so she asks you. For me, neither is worth anywhere near what they are asking. Once there is more competition in the market the price will have to adjust, but that might take a while. The subscription model makes more sense to me. If I were doing a road trip I could see buying a month to use during the trip.

I'd like to see Telsa have a Robo-Taxi license for FSD that supports someone making money from FSD. Maybe that is worth $15,000. But they really need an Owner license at a reasonable prices like $2K and they would get a lot more sales for people that just want the feature for their own use. There will be competition in the self-driving software market and we'll all learn that it is not worth what Tesla thinks.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Economically justified? Not at all.

But we do reasonably frequent highway trips, and I really value letting the car change lanes rather than me. I do not let it change lanes on its own - and it doesn’t let me change lanes on my own. Instead, I signal to change lanes and the car does it when it sees that it is safe to do so.

I’m increasingly aware of my own limitations, and because I was able to buy just a little bit of extra safety, I did.

It does irritate me that Tesla could have included this feature in the base autopilot, and the price is absurd, but I believe I made the best choice to meet my needs.