Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 12v battery disconnect vs. performing Wheel Configuration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Droschke

Mar 8, 2015
Future
I recall reading in different threads that disconnecting/reconnecting the 12v battery would reset the car (the gateway). Is performing the Controls\Service\Wheel Configuration task to change the wheels and then changing them back would accomplish the same (meaning resetting the gateway)?

Thanks.

A reliable mobile tech told me directly that a wheel change on the service menu performs a gateway reset.

The ohmmu battery has the same suggestion of changing the wheel configuration for a reset. This is helpful for model S/X where disconnecting the battery cable takes some effort.

Thank you both. A bit of background as to the issue I'm dealing with:

Since the upgrade to MCU2 a few months ago, I've been unable to receive any software or map update. After I opened a service ticket, Tesla tried to push two updates but none has been received by my car which is on a very strong WiFi. From what is documented in the invoice as "Correction", it appears they want to disconnect the 12v and then push a firmware at the service center. Even if this works at the service center, it won't guarantee that I'll be receiving any updates at home, which is my primary issue at this time. I'm also hesitant to leave the car at the service center since during the previous two visits (unrelated to this issue) they kept my car for three weeks each time. Their app communication has been extremely poor. A few ambiguous replies and an unacceptable invoice for $100 plus tax, which I've not approved. So, my thinking is that if their plan to disconnect the 12v is to reset the gateway (I do not see for what else they want to do this) then I can do the gateway reset myself at home and avoid the service center black hole.

Since the upgrade to MCU2 a few months ago, I've been unable to receive any software or map update. After I opened a service ticket, Tesla tried to push two updates but none has been received by my car which is on a very strong WiFi. From what is documented in the invoice as "Correction", it appears they want to disconnect the 12v and then push a firmware at the service center. Even if this works at the service center, it won't guarantee that I'll be receiving any updates at home, which is my primary issue at this time. I'm also hesitant to leave the car at the service center since during the previous two visits (unrelated to this issue) they kept my car for three weeks each time. Their app communication has been extremely poor. A few ambiguous replies and an unacceptable invoice for $100 plus tax, which I've not approved. So, my thinking is that if their plan to disconnect the 12v is to reset the gateway (I do not see for what else they want to do this) then I can do the gateway reset myself at home and avoid the service center black hole.
I see, sometimes they missed something when upgrading MCU. When I upgraded mine, certain functions stop working in the mobile app, they tried remote reset, and mobile tech came by and couldn't figure it out, eventually, I take it back and they redo it again and finally fixed the issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
I see, sometimes they missed something when upgrading MCU. When I upgraded mine, certain functions stop working in the mobile app, they tried remote reset, and mobile tech came by and couldn't figure it out, eventually, I take it back and they redo it again and finally fixed the issues.

After the upgrade on mine, I did a factory reset when I got home. Everything has been working with one exception: the lack of OTA updates. Part of me says that might actually be a good thing ;) so, I'm not even sure if I should worry about it now since I'll need a 12v battery replacement soon and can wait and can let them do the "disconnect" thing then.

Also,
Out of curiosity. Do you happen to have a SonicWall (router)? I do, and i find that no matter what exceptions I put in the router, SW updates tend to get hung up. I have Ruckus Access Points so my wifi is exceptional. I get 89-89mbps on fast.com in the car but My 2015MS, 2016MX, 2021MS & 2022MX, 2020M3 have ALL had issues taking SW updates. If I tether to my phone the updates typically come in without any hiccups.

...and as the post above suggested, have you gone into service mode to done a re-deploy. Then tether your phone and see if the updates come.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Also,
Out of curiosity. Do you happen to have a SonicWall (router)? I do, and i find that no matter what exceptions I put in the router, SW updates tend to get hung up. I have Ruckus Access Points so my wifi is exceptional. I get 89-89mbps on fast.com in the car but My 2015MS, 2016MX, 2021MS & 2022MX, 2020M3 have ALL had issues taking SW updates. If I tether to my phone the updates typically come in without any hiccups.

...and as the post above suggested, have you gone into service mode to done a re-deploy. Then tether your phone and see if the updates come.

No, I do not have SonicWall router. I'm on the same home WiFi system as when the car was on MCU1. My home WiFi sees the car's network interface and shows the typical daily download/upload. The car's WiFi connection is strong, ~128 Mbps download /10 Mbps upload speed.

My hope was after opening a service request ticket with Tesla, they would look at the logs and see why the software update push attempts fail. It's highly puzzling why they haven't done that or are unable to do.

My theory is that something is blocking the download at their end. Something wasn't checked post MCU2 upgrade. So, my plan at this point is 1) to do the wheel configuration and 2) do the SW reinstall if #1 doesn't help.

Is your phone leveraging its cellular data connection when tethering or its WiFi connection?

disconnecting/reconnecting the 12v battery would reset the car

If you want try that you need to:
  1. Power down the car from the Safety and Security menu, wait 5-minutes
  2. Remove the positive terminal from the battery
  3. Remove the high voltage loop, wait five minutes
  4. Reattach the high voltage disconnect then the battery positive terminal
  5. ”Start” the car
It is my understanding this is overkill as changing Wheel Configuration does a deep reset.

• Informative
Update:

- Attempts to do the "Wheel Configuration" did not change my wheels at all (maybe it does not work for the older cars?), but the reboots with a few knocking sounds for the duration could be heard. BTW, the reboots weren't any longer than the two-thumbs on scroll wheels.
- Attempts to do the Software\"Service Mode" to reinstall the software failed with a message saying "Failed to request software reinstall: another update is in progress. Please try again."

I've left the car in Service Mode with the window and the driver side open. Not sure if closing them would interrupt any download that is possibly in progress - can use advice on this one :) Not sure when to exit from the Service Mode !

No, I do not have SonicWall router. I'm on the same home WiFi system as when the car was on MCU1. My home WiFi sees the car's network interface and shows the typical daily download/upload. The car's WiFi connection is strong, ~128 Mbps download /10 Mbps upload speed.

My hope was after opening a service request ticket with Tesla, they would look at the logs and see why the software update push attempts fail. It's highly puzzling why they haven't done that or are unable to do.

My theory is that something is blocking the download at their end. Something wasn't checked post MCU2 upgrade. So, my plan at this point is 1) to do the wheel configuration and 2) do the SW reinstall if #1 doesn't help.

Is your phone leveraging its cellular data connection when tethering or its WiFi connection?
Yes when you tether you are using the cell data to the car via the phones wifi

Update:

- Attempts to do the "Wheel Configuration" did not change my wheels at all (maybe it does not work for the older cars?), but the reboots with a few knocking sounds for the duration could be heard. BTW, the reboots weren't any longer than the two-thumbs on scroll wheels.
- Attempts to do the Software\"Service Mode" to reinstall the software failed with a message saying "Failed to request software reinstall: another update is in progress. Please try again."

I've left the car in Service Mode with the window and the driver side open. Not sure if closing them would interrupt any download that is possibly in progress - can use advice on this one :) Not sure when to exit from the Service Mode !
I've seen this.
Go on the app, send a request to push the firmware to your car again. They will chat with you to make it happen. Tell them exactly what you saw that it's stuck attempting a FW update.

I've seen this.
Go on the app, send a request to push the firmware to your car again. They will chat with you to make it happen. Tell them exactly what you saw that it's stuck attempting a FW update.

Thanks. I just did that again under the "Other\Something else" category. They will contact me.

I had done this once before for this issue on October 10. They called two days later and wanted to know if I've received the updates they had pushed a day before. My answer was negative. While on the phone, he pushed another update and asked me to verify if it was downloading. Again, my answer was negative. He then proceeded with opening a ticket with my local service center. They sat on it for more than two weeks saying they are reviewing the ticket (which I did not believe). Last Friday, They sent me an invoice for $100 plus tax to approve. I declined and questioned the validity of the fee. And, then when I checked the app today I saw the ticket was canceled.

So, this time I'll not let them open a new ticket with the local service center. It's a waste of time. This time I have the screenshot of the message on the car telling me an update is in progress, which I obviously do not receive. Hopefully they can help without throwing the issue at the uncooperative and rude local service center.

Thanks. I just did that again under the "Other\Something else" category. They will contact me.

I had done this once before for this issue on October 10. They called two days later and wanted to know if I've received the updates they had pushed a day before. My answer was negative. While on the phone, he pushed another update and asked me to verify if it was downloading. Again, my answer was negative. He then proceeded with opening a ticket with my local service center. They sat on it for more than two weeks saying they are reviewing the ticket (which I did not believe). Last Friday, They sent me an invoice for $100 plus tax to approve. I declined and questioned the validity of the fee. And, then when I checked the app today I saw the ticket was canceled.

So, this time I'll not let them open a new ticket with the local service center. It's a waste of time. This time I have the screenshot of the message on the car telling me an update is in progress, which I obviously do not receive. Hopefully they can help without throwing the issue at the uncooperative and rude local service center.
Do the ‘Active Alerts’ in the service menu show which modules the update is stuck on?

• Informative