Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 19" Curse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a LR AWD 19’

Change to 18’ one Friday, next Monday I had a delivery scheduled for Wednesday SAME WEEK

Since I came on holidays to a country with plenty of model 3s:
19’ wheels are ugly and look like cheap plastic
18’ wheels without Aero look better

And maintenance costs are lower

• Disagree
Reactions: Watts_Up
I think Tesla should halve the £1,450 19" wheel upgrade cost to £725 for those who have ordered it and are still waiting for their delivery, as a gesture of good will and as an apology for the delay. Especially to reservation holders whose commitment to Tesla is being so disregarded.

While it is still early days in terms of actual M3 deliveries\collections, it seems that those with 19" wheels don't even have a future delivery window, let alone an estimated collection date, so the immediate future prospects are not looking too bright. It seems plain that there has been an issue delivering cars with 19" wheels and someone needs to be more upfront about it to manage peoples' expectations.

• Love
Reactions: RjbT3
I ordered a LR AWD car in Early May with the 19" Wheel upgrade. I have received no VIN and heard nothing regarding delivery. From the delivery thread, it seems others with a similar spec are in the same boat. I am starting to regret my decision to upgrade the wheels. I am based in Edinburgh and am fortunate to work round the corner from the Tesla shop but they have been unable to provide any information on the delay. I have now written off an August delivery and am trying to come to terms with the fact September is also looking questionable. Has anyone got VINs/delivery dates for cars with 19" wheels or any insight as to why we seem to have been push to the back of the queue?
Same Here Nothing at all.Ordered 1.5.19 and reserved 07/2017.

• Love
Reactions: RjbT3 and navt
I think Tesla should halve the £1,450 19" wheel upgrade cost to £725 for those who have ordered it and are still waiting for their delivery, as a gesture of good will and as an apology for the delay. Especially to reservation holders whose commitment to Tesla is being so disregarded.

While it is still early days in terms of actual M3 deliveries\collections, it seems that those with 19" wheels don't even have a future delivery window, let alone an estimated collection date, so the immediate future prospects are not looking too bright. It seems plain that there has been an issue delivering cars with 19" wheels and someone needs to be more upfront about it to manage peoples' expectations.
Tesla customer services told me the wheels are not causing a delay.

Reactions: Watts_Up
You can get the 19” wheels in the USA no problem. They are not history.

It just seems that they are not putting them on RHD vehicles that they are then putting on boats.

I switched from the LR AWD with 19” wheels to the P+ as the price difference was so small after the last Tesla repricing and recently got a delivery window for 18-25 September.

I really hope that my ex-LR AWD Komrads receive their cars soon as they have been stiffed in the Tesla lottery.

It's not just 19" wheels. Mine is 18" with LR AWD, registered 2 Apr 2016, ordered 1 May 2019, with a "suggested" delivery mid-September. No VIN yet.
It just seems that they are not putting them on RHD vehicles that they are then putting on boats.

I switched from the LR AWD with 19” wheels to the P+ as the price difference was so small after the last Tesla repricing and recently got a delivery window for 18-25 September.

I really hope that my ex-LR AWD Komrads receive their cars soon as they have been stiffed in the Tesla lottery.

Hi
What is the price differential and when did you switch? I might do the same

Hi
What is the price differential and when did you switch?

20 July, I emailed to change my order.
8 August, confirmation of change from Tesla.
15 August, received estimated delivery window of 18-25 September by email.

The price difference between the current LR AWD with 19” wheels and a P+ (with “free” 20” wheels) is £2.2k.

I had no reservation and ordered LR AWD on 26 May.

Interestingly, or not depending on whether you care, my original LR AWD, white exterior, black interior, 19” wheels was £890 more than my current P+, white ext., black int. due to the free white and price decrease across the range.

20 July, I emailed to change my order.
8 August, confirmation of change from Tesla.
15 August, received estimated delivery window of 18-25 September by email.

The price difference between the current LR AWD with 19” wheels and a P+ (with “free” 20” wheels) is £2.2k.

I had no reservation and ordered LR AWD on 26 May.

Interestingly, or not depending on whether you care, my original LR AWD, white exterior, black interior, 19” wheels was £890 more than my current P+, white ext., black int. due to the free white and price decrease across the range.
Thanks for that...think you have made my mind up. Only £1100 difference from my original order if I go for white P+. Feel genuinely sorry for the 19" folk who put down deposits in 2016 and are still in the dark. I guess all revolutions require some pain!!

You can get the 19” wheels in the USA no problem. They are not history.
If you switch Country you can check that United Kingdom offers only 18" wheels on the SR and the LR AWD.
And countries like Japan also have only a Black interior choice.
There was a recent tweet from Elon Musk regarding countries with currently lower sales to ease distribution.

I have been assured several times by Customer sales that there are currently no RHD deliveries with 19" wheels. I would advise all early orderers to change to aeros and speed up their deliveries

As with all things Tesla say it doesn’t really match what happens in reality :) While no doubt 19” wheels seem to delay things I’m off to pick up my SR+ with 19” wheels right now (irrationally excited). Maybe I’m just lucky (2 year reservation holder) - maybe the left hand of Tesla doesn’t know what the right hand is doing.

The store makes no difference to existing orders. If an order is already in for 19" wheels, its still a valid order and will be fulfilled, eventually. You just cannot order any more to add to the backlog.

I think the store does give some clue to what variants and options are in short supply. LR AWD, 19" and white interior was removed fairly on in the process possibly to ease supply of those options. LR AWD and white interior have been back for a month or so, then P- disappeared. I suspect that Tesla just use an iterative approach to car manufacturing - build a whole selections of variants and options that they think will be popular or boost their bottom line, allocate them to orders. Build another batch, allocate, repeat. What is not clear is how much Tesla take the hint from actual orders to steer the variants they actually build. I cannot see any evidence of a close correlation, hence some long term orders remaining unfulfilled.

Reactions: mab74