Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Boring Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
at 0:49 seconds of the The Boring Company video there seems to be a Tesla Coupe!
No, that's a Model X.
IMG_0239.JPG

Interesting concept, I'm guessing that the sled in tunnels will be fully automatic and use power from the slot in the road.
it would certainly make the software cheaper to develop and safer, no pedestrians, traffic lights etc etc

Imagine you are travelling long distance, you'd get on the sled and have a snooze while your car zips along and you still have
the battery range in the car when you get to the end of the line.

The system portrayed in the video is stupid. It addresses the ramp problem with elevators because they could not come up with a viable solution.

It addresses the ramp problem with elevators because it's space efficient and simple. In his TED talk Elon Musk said that the elevator takes up 2 parking spaces.

I'd say that it would take up more space than that, because cars would have to wait for and leave the elevator. But it would certainly take up less space than a ramp, and that would be important in a multi-level system.

But given a fast tunnel system, elevators would seem to be the obvious limitation on volume and I'd like there to be questions on that.

Interesting concept, I'm guessing that the sled in tunnels will be fully automatic and use power from the slot in the road.
it would certainly make the software cheaper to develop and safer, no pedestrians, traffic lights etc etc

Imagine you are travelling long distance, you'd get on the sled and have a snooze while your car zips along and you still have
the battery range in the car when you get to the end of the line.

Your car would charge whilst on the sled.

Reactions: JeffK
Skateboards and elevators are solar roadways level of dumb.

If a city could lower the cost of sub-sewer tunnels what would get built is public transportation. If public transportation becomes atomized those small autonomous vehicles would access the tunnels without a skateboard.

But skateboards would not be necessary with private autonomous vehicles. Access to the tunnels would lock out human vehicle control.

I think Trump's dementia is contagious and Musk caught it with a handshake. The video looks like a middle school science project that got a 'B'. The next announcement will be an elevator company. You can get 100x increase in elevator efficiency by running elevators 100x faster.

Skateboards and elevators are solar roadways level of dumb.

If a city could lower the cost of sub-sewer tunnels what would get built is public transportation. If public transportation becomes atomized those small autonomous vehicles would access the tunnels without a skateboard.

But skateboards would not be necessary with private autonomous vehicles. Access to the tunnels would lock out human vehicle control.

I think Trump's dementia is contagious and Musk caught it with a handshake. The video looks like a middle school science project that got a 'B'. The next announcement will be an elevator company. You can get 100x increase in elevator efficiency by running elevators 100x faster.

If you don't have skateboards, you'll either have bespoke vehicles or slower speeds and greater susceptibility to failure.

The idea of this system design is to be open, fast and reliable.

Even though I find such concepts fascinating, I have to agree with the naysayers this time.
The whole thing reminds me of a "Technology of the future" book from the Seventies I had as a kid. It promised similar stuff, yet failed to address the problems involved.

Imagine the sheer volume of tunnels that would have to be bored through all kinds of terrain. Just look at a project like the Eurotunnel (which seems like child's play in comparison to what is shown in the video) or current tunnelling projects in the Alps, or just ones in cities like Stuttgart, where the new train station is put completely underground, including tunnels for local and long distance fast track trains. Or the new S-Bahn (low- and highlevel subway) tunnel project in Munich.

Such projects tend to take extremely long to execute and to get way over budget. As well as generally being planning nightmares. Even more so in unstable areas like California, where earthquake-resilliance must be a prime factor to be, well, factored-in.

I predict that in my lifetime I will get to see BEVs becoming the main form of personal transportation, even to see humans walking on Mars. But I am highly doubtful I will get to see a system like that in the video ever becoming a reality. Mind you, I would love to have such a system, but I just don't see this actually happening, at least not for the next several decades.