Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Cybertruck is more expensive to supercharge than a Ford F-150 costs in gas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All vehicles and power generation are going to cause some pollution. To have "save the World" beliefs, please purchase your energy in USA that has the cleanest production. Avoid Asia as they have the highest pollution.
Biggest advantage of EVs is that they do not pollute our heavily populated Urban areas. This is generally where pollution is making the most people sick. Generate power in the open and relatively unpopulated areas where the pollution can be diluted and not kill people.
Diesels are OK on the open highway, as their particulate laden exhaust can settle and not be breathed by so many.

Big Urban benefit for encouraging EVs is that their regeneration can reduce the amount of brake lining dust that is also hazardous. Low rolling resistant tires also produce less fine carbon dust onto the streets.

Urban EVs also significantly reduce Urban noise, which make the cities less stressful to inhabit.

Lots of benefits to converting heavily populated area to EVs and Solar.

No one bought and EV to save the world. The ones that did are long gone.. it’s hilarious when I people post about “saving” anything.

Almost like “best car I’ve ever driven” and then get pissed off when AP or FSD don’t work 🤣🤣🤣

• Disagree
Reactions: EVNow
Generally true, other than the solar, but not by me and most Californians hate (or at least dislike) me. <= consistent.
California fuel prices and availability are driven by world-wide market as well.
Generally true? Wut?

They rip the crude from the ground and refine it in many places throughout their state.

Fuel prices driven by world wide? uhhh… plus their(CA) 1$+/gal taxes? Commodities markets are fun

No one bought and EV to save the world.
I can find a few examples contrary to your "No one". Hence, this is WRONG

Almost like “best car I’ve ever driven” and then get pissed off when AP or FSD don’t work
I kind of like watching the little AP toddler as it is growing up. It has gotten much much better since I first experienced it back around 2014. Maybe by the time it turns 16, it will actually be able to drive, just like a human.

I can find a few examples contrary to your "No one". Hence, this is WRONG

I kind of like watching the little AP toddler as it is growing up. It has gotten much much better since I first experienced it back around 2014. Maybe by the time it turns 16, it will actually be able to drive, just like a human.

Except it reverted to being a Toddler after Vision was the only option

They rip the crude from the ground and refine it in many places throughout their state.
Certainly. However, there are a lot of oil tankers that come to Richmond and tie up off of El Segundo (named after the 2nd oil refinery). I don't know exactly which way the oil is flowing though. I know some is probably being exported but some is also likely being imported.
California is definitely an oil state though, no doubt.
I don't care though, I don't own any of the land producing it and I probably couldn't afford the oil rights even if I did want to buy some. Solar, on the other hand, is relatively cheap.

Except it reverted to being a Toddler after Vision was the only option
We have 2 cars, one with radar and one vision-only. Other than the 85 mph limit to AP and mandatory automatic high-beams on the vision-only, they both work about the same. Both are a whole lot better than the radar one was back in early 2018.
our babies are growing up . . .
Hopefully, they'll be able to take care of us when we get old.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I know there are a bunch who own BEVs and do not have a way to charge at "home", but I couldn't deal with that. The worst part of owning an EV, for me, is that vacation/ trip where your destination doesn't have a charger (like Disney resorts, Cruises, etc) or even a meeting/restaurant and you have to charge at a SC to ensure you have battery for sentry mode or to make local trips or to get to a charger once you are done.

I wouldn't have the patience to SC weekly just to go to work or out to eat.
Disney has several chargers onsite at Walt Disney world. Not sure about Disneyland. There are also several superchargers offsite.

As DVC owner I request them to add more all the time.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Stop making sense... didn't you get the memo that burning a lot more fossil fuels to put up non-degradable plastic wind turbine blades (that use a crap ton of oil for lubrication and kill tons of wildlife).... AND using resources to make new plastic parts and battery components with children mining rare earth minerals in Africa.... and of course, paying more in taxes.... THAT is how we keep the environment clean....

The best thing for the environment would be for people to keep driving their shitboxes until they fully fall apart, THEN getting an EV or Hydrogen, OR public transporation or a bicycle... ONLY when they need to.

Majority of US and Western consumers unfortunately do not keep their vehicles long enough to overcome the environmental damage done by simply producing their shiny new "green" vehicle.
Agreed this ☝️

Let’s also look at the fact that the largest producer of methane is the meat agriculture industry. Produces more globally than oil, petroleum , transportation combined. Methane is 30x more potent than C02 and yet we pay far less attention to this than transport. Heck in the US just chicken farming alone produces more methane than all the cars, trucks and industrial vehicles combined.

So as said above, keep driving what you wish until it dies and then decide if an EV is worth it for you. For some it’s just the instant power, tech, fueling up at home that entices. Nothing to do with enviro.

I’m no environmentalist by any means, and we’ve had teslas in the family since 2016 …and maybe it provides some sense of ‘feel good’ at the end of day. 🤷🏽‍♂️

But I’m under no dilution that my Teslas or any produced EV’s for that matter aren’t involved with some kind of environmental waste or resource mining Ie. Lithium. Dead battery cells etc

Agreed this ☝️

Let’s also look at the fact that the largest producer of methane is the meat agriculture industry. Produces more globally than oil, petroleum , transportation combined. Methane is 30x more potent than C02 and yet we pay far less attention to this than transport. Heck in the US just chicken farming alone produces more methane than all the cars, trucks and industrial vehicles combined.

So as said above, keep driving what you wish until it dies and then decide if an EV is worth it for you. For some it’s just the instant power, tech, fueling up at home that entices. Nothing to do with enviro.

I’m no environmentalist by any means, and we’ve had teslas in the family since 2016 …and maybe it provides some sense of ‘feel good’ at the end of day. 🤷🏽‍♂️

But I’m under no dilution that my Teslas or any produced EV’s for that matter aren’t involved with some kind of environmental waste or resource mining Ie. Lithium. Dead battery cells etc
I, like you, didn't buy my last 4 Tesla's because of the environment impacts, I just didn't want to give the Middle East oil Barons any more money to fund terrorism.. I am also a cheap bastard, and when I did the lifecycle math of having solar and a EV, it was awesome not paying for charging at home or work and having full unlimited supercharging, it was an easy calculus, when you drive 30K a year (adding wife into this equation). My Maslow hierarchy is also happy, as I also realized, I am completely independent for any energy crisis for my homes and transportation.

Last edited:
I, like you, didn't buy my last 4 Tesla's because of the environment impacts, I just didn't want to give the Middle East oil Barons any more money to fund terrorism. I am also a cheap bastard, and when I did the lifecycle math of having solar and a EV, it was awesome not paying for charging at home or work and having full unlimited supercharging, it was an easy calculus, when you drive 30K a year (adding wife into this equation). My Maslow hierarchy is also happy, as I also realized, I am completely independent for any energy crisis for my homes and transportation.

This! x’s 1000

Depending on the price of gas, EV charging only saves me 10% to 15% and I charge at home during off-peak. Agree, if you don’t have a home charger don’t buy an EV. I’ve never had the need to use a SC, I‘ve got down to single digits but made it home. I did try a SC once just to make sure it worked, all I’ll say is the Taco’s next door were good.

That’s insanely low. When was the last time you looked at the price, 1970?
I pay the same rate in Northern Colorado during my off-peak time of use hours which is 10PM - 4 PM. It's 15 cents between 4pm - 10pm.

I, like you, didn't buy my last 4 Tesla's because of the environment impacts, I just didn't want to give the Middle East oil Barons any more money to fund terrorism.. I am also a cheap bastard, and when I did the lifecycle math of having solar and a EV, it was awesome not paying for charging at home or work and having full unlimited supercharging, it was an easy calculus, when you drive 30K a year (adding wife into this equation). My Maslow hierarchy is also happy, as I also realized, I am completely independent for any energy crisis for my homes and transportation.
My initial motivation for pursuing EVs was along these lines, however, I also have an environmental side to me. As I dug more into the EV technology, I was pleased to see that, contrary to the FUD that the trolls trumpet, EVs actually do enable much more environmentally sound transportation in many forms.
Even as astutely pointed out in:

much of this agricultural methane production can be harnessed and easily and burned directly or efficiently turned into electricity. This, similar to putting wind turbines on farmland, is a way that farmers can increase profits while, at the same time being more environmental.
For an example, I've been following Albert Strauss doing this for 2 decades since he started using a RAV4EV charged from electricity produced from harvested methane.
EVs tend to work better in nearly all situations than ICE. The only real issues may be in long distance light hauling or figuring out how to pay for road tax.

This is just in. The latest survey of US truck owners for the first time highlighted the importance of fuel and tire consumption as top of mind factors influencing their truck choice. This is in clear contrast to the historically unapologetic truck preference purely on emotional and illogical factors such as brand, familiarity, and the all important decision driver of “well, my papa taught me to drive in his favorite fill-in-the-blank-brand truck”. With cost as the key driver, consumers are finally waking up and pressuring their representatives to remove the “chicken tax” that has insulated the big 3 from real competition since 1964. No longer protected from high tariffs, the cartel can no longer overcharge for products designed toward decades-old features and mfg. tolerance standards.

Last edited: