Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Cybertruck is more expensive to supercharge than a Ford F-150 costs in gas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Grow your own food. Make your own clothing. Never buy anything that ever touched petroleum. Keep away from seed oils. Meet your local butcher and rancher. Never own another car. Stop buying fancy computer devices. Never pay for or use trash service since you make zero waste. Blahblahblah.

It’s always someone that wants to take the “zomg I’m saving the planet because these other ‘morons’ are causing the problem. And I’m SMRTR than everyone else so I can fix it and make them fix it too, because internet!”

Oh tsla pilot. Your entertaining stance on how the world could be magically fixed is awesome, keep smoking what you’re smoking. :)
With bikes I was referring to daily transportation. The other things you mention are irrelevant to a car discussion.

For the food topics, between harvesting our own: salmon, halibut, trout, caribou, grouse, ptarmigan, duck, goose, and a moose every other year. I’m sure I've bought meat from the store <10 times in the last 5 years.

Reactions: outdoors
This is just in. The latest survey of US truck owners for the first time highlighted the importance of fuel and tire consumption as top of mind factors influencing their truck choice. This is in clear contrast to the historically unapologetic truck preference purely on emotional and illogical factors such as brand, familiarity, and the all important decision driver of “well, my papa taught me to drive in his favorite fill-in-the-blank-brand truck”. With cost as the key driver, consumers are finally waking up and pressuring their representatives to remove the “chicken tax” that has insulated the big 3 from real competition since 1964. No longer protected from high tariffs, the cartel can no longer overcharge for products designed toward decades-old features and mfg. tolerance standards.
I don’t know what the chicken tax is, but I like cartel disruption in all forms.

Would you consider that carbon credits impact competition too and insulate a new emerging cartel? The carbon credit cartel also negatively impacts product capabilities?

I’m not surprised. Few know of the chicken tax, particularly those who so proudly wear the great American trucks as the symbol of American pride, one that has been the direct result of that which is most un-American act of all (as the global leader of capitalism and free enterprise), Protectionism. Why do you think it has been the greatest profit-maker segment…feeding the biggest advertising budgets over the last 5 decades…to inform us all of the great American trucks.

We have hydro, Nuclear, and Coal. Only 5% coal, 40% renewable.
Here's a cool chart that shows all the products in SC, just like Virginia if you didnt have carbon products and nuke you would be freezing right now. In VA 84% of our NG comes from coal beds.

1705337408507.png

Last edited:
BEV trucks going mainstream is going to require way more expensive gas I think at this point. While I highly doubt many 3.5l ecoboost owners are going to get 24mpg combined in daily use, I know I don't, today it's easily worth any energy cost premium for the capability of gas. I still do most of my daily driving in a BEV, but my ICE f150 isn't going anywhere and I'd replace it with another one today if I had to. It's not even close comparing the convenience of a 36g tank to even a MYLR when you're doing trips, traveling rural, and doing more than commuting within a 100 mile or so radius. The charging performance and infrastructure just isn't there and the cost to buy isn't even that close either on the trucks. I just can't see anyone using the trucks for work as either a contractor, a weekend boater, RV puller, or just someone who just likes to go camping in rural places finding a BEV truck at their current prices that compelling when you really look at the data. A shop truck that stays local and is plugged in every night and never needs DCFC, maybe IF it can meet the 99% daily use case.

YMMV, plenty are buying BEVs anyway and gas trucks aren't going away, but I think with the underwhelming range/charging/usability performance of especially the CT, it just doesn't make a lot of sense and I don't see that changing in the near future. I was hoping Tesla would show the rest of the industry how it's done and instead they unveiled all the features truck owners, at least those like me, don't care that much about (48v, sbw, exo/unibody/whatever, gimmicky styling, not even a ****ing spare tire location, etc, etc) and underperformed on the thing Tesla is known to be best at in the industry, charging and efficiency to create a usable practical compelling product, despite the "elonisms" of their vehicles. The miles added at 20-25 minutes of charging is still a joke imo. I'm glad they made it, but what a disappointment so far. But hey, if you live in Cali with lots of infrastructure and want it as a cool commuter you can do errands in and haul things around in, great, go for it.

Gas goes to $7+ a gallon (which doesn't feel that far off in the right political environment), we'll talk.