Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The delivery canceled, no reschedule thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought it’d be a good idea to put some numbers to this issue and exchange information, so when some of us rejects start getting things scheduled, the rest of us know we’re close.

Details:
04/03/16 reserved
06/30/18 configured
09/06/18 delivery scheduled for 09/22
09/21/18 delivery canceled, rescheduled for 09/28
09/22/18 new delivery canceled with no new date.

My back-door editor was available during this entire time. I never saw a VIN. According to 6+ Tesla reps, this means my car was never in production, despite them positioning it as a “shipping issue”

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: 0mpg and neroden
Sounds like me:

Raleigh, NC
6/09/16 reservation
6/28/18 configuration (Silver Metallic, Aero, Black Interior, AWD, non-P, EAD)
9/06/18 delivery scheduled for 9/19 and added FSD
9/17/18 delivery canceled with no new date and no explanation at all. Promised updated delivery in hours, but I still don’t have a new date.

Never had a VIN and the “Edit Design” button was always live. It took 9 days to get an offer on my trade-in, and I’m still waiting for them to update the offer to match CarMax. They told me not to confirm the trade-in until that happens, but at the same time, they said their order checklist won’t advance until I click that button.

Local delivery manager said that no VIN means no car was specifically built for me and that he’d have to find one that matches my configuration.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
FWIW (also Raleigh)

3/31/16 reservation
6/26/2018 configured
8/20 Got email saying car had left the factory headed for Alabama (Southeast hub)
9/17 IDA tells me car is still "in transit" to NC- and now they're not doing deliveries at Tesla locations in NC anymore- home delivery ONLY.... so I need to do my payment and trade in by end of week so they can schedule the delivery. I do so.

First I get a 9/23 delivery at 4pm in Charlotte show up in my account (that was 9/20 I think)- My IDA was out of office 9/20 when I wanted to know WTF was going on since I'd been told home delivery only.

I called Tesla on the phone- woman there looked at my account and said it was "on the way" to Charlotte, and as far as she could tell that 9/23 delivery is "real".

Next day, 9/21- my appointment in my tesla account changes to 9/22 at 4pm in Charlotte... and my IDA tells me that's a "fake" date only put into the system so they can schedule home delivery of the car. I'll get a call from the trucking company when they're ready.

9/22 comes and goes, no call, and now my delivery date has gone back to "Sept through November" like it was since my 6/26 config.

Mind you, I've now paid for the car in full, and traded in my existing car.

My edit button went away 8/20, and I do have a VIN (and have had one for weeks, and it's still there in my account)- so presumably the car DOES exist- just seems nobody has any idea how to get me and the car in the same room.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: 0mpg and neroden
Nothern Virginia, VA
04/22/16 reserved
06/28/18 configured
09/06/18 delivery scheduled for 09/22 over email.
09/18/18 Called Local SC to find out if everything wes good for Sat delivery. They canceled delivery stating car is not assigned and said that some will contact me when the car is assigned
09/21/18 Called Tesla Delivery number to check if they had any update. No update from them either.

Data pulled from Troy's tracker.

Reserved May 7th 2016 - ordered June 27th 2018.

Config P3D-/White ext./Black int./EAP (Atlanta)

My delivery was scheduled for 9/21 then cancelled. No new date scheduled "shipments delayed".
  • My config has been delivered to 3 non reservation holders (they were non owners as well) in UT, TX and FL. All 3 ordered after I did.
  • 5 White P3D- have been delivered to non res holders (they weren't even in California).
  • 18 White P3D- have been delivered.
  • 6 White P3D- left to deliver.
  • I'm 1 of 2 with my exact config left to deliver. The other one has a VIN and a delivery date. They ordered after I did.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and neroden
Checking in. Scheduled to take delivery this past Friday 9/21. Was scheduled by my ISA in Fremont on 9/17 (was even given the option of 9/20). Never received a VIN. Called Portland delivery center on Thursday morning to make sure everything was all set. Told that since I didn't have a VIN it was very unlikely I could take delivery the following day.

Emailed that info to my ISA, who eventually told me that I could still take delivery the next day if I was willing to upgrade to 19" wheels for another $1500. I declined. Mildly regretting that decision just because the wait is excruciating, but I want all the range I can get.

Got a phone call at 6pm on 9/21 from Portland delivery center saying they weren't going to be able to delivery on schedule and my ISA would reach out soon to reschedule. AKA got a call 7 hours after my appt. telling me not to show up. Glad I reached out first.

Just says Sept-Nov again now. Blue/White Int./Aero/FSD

Spoke to Tesla's main line this morning. Was told that I have a DA who I've never spoken to ("Richard"). Richard told the rep I spoke to that they have three different teams working to get "you guys" a VIN as soon as possible. Said he didn't want to commit to anything, but said I should have a VIN assigned by the end of the week.

More evidence that this last week is all about that end-of-quarter push. I would just like my back-door edit link to stop working, if nothing else, to at least signify things are moving!

FWIW, I asked if changing the config had any bearing on delivery speed and he said no.

Also now that I've called Tesla about 20 times, I have a good lay of the land in terms of who to call for what:
- Main Tesla Line: Have a bit more intelligence, but are generally powerless and need to punt to the DA to actually get anything done

- Local Delivery Center: Can give you more intel on where your car is (if you have a VIN), or if there is in fact no car, despite what other reps tell you

- Delivery Schedulers: they're the most powerless. The _only_ thing they can do is coordinate delivery schedules, which requires you to have a VIN, which they have no control over. They can also put an "urgent" flag on your account with the DA, not that it does much.

- Delivery Advisor: These guys can give you more intel on your account, but can't magically assign you a VIN, etc. They're like the coordinators between Freemont and the buyer. They are notoriously difficult to get a hold of, and have several layers of gatekeepers in front of them.

Finally, when in doubt, charm offensive. Always START with “thank you. I know this isn’t your fault.” It’s the only thing that’s really helped generate movement in any form for me.

Last edited:
Checking in. Scheduled to take delivery this past Friday 9/21. Was scheduled by my ISA in Fremont on 9/17 (was even given the option of 9/20). Never received a VIN. Called Portland delivery center on Thursday morning to make sure everything was all set. Told that since I didn't have a VIN it was very unlikely I could take delivery the following day.

Emailed that info to my ISA, who eventually told me that I could still take delivery the next day if I was willing to upgrade to 19" wheels for another $1500. I declined. Mildly regretting that decision just because the wait is excruciating, but I want all the range I can get.

Got a phone call at 6pm on 9/21 from Portland delivery center saying they weren't going to be able to delivery on schedule and my ISA would reach out soon to reschedule. AKA got a call 7 hours after my appt. telling me not to show up. Glad I reached out first.

Just says Sept-Nov again now. Blue/White Int./Aero/FSD

That they wanted you to pay for the upgraded wheels when they're the ones who blew their commitment is absurd. They ought to be giving discounts / free supercharging in these scenarios, not trying to upsell.

Reactions: cwerdna
That they wanted you to pay for the upgraded wheels when they're the ones who blew their commitment is absurd. They ought to be giving discounts / free supercharging in these scenarios, not trying to upsell.

Totally agree. I was willing to take the car. Key word being willing. This is already an expensive car, but if I wanted the 19’s I would have configured it that way. I’m also an investor, I want the company to meet guidance and have a profitable quarter and if me taking delivery helps that all the better. I’m not going to pay them more money to fix their own mistake. I’m not actually angry about it, they weren’t pushy or anything it was just an offer, which I almost accepted. Really hoping to take delivery first week of October - then all will be forgiven.

Considering I paid in full for my car and was assigned a VIN, but then it was sold to someone else, I'm pretty sure at this point if they can deliver the car before the end of the month, they will do it even if that car has been scheduled for delivery to someone else after the end of the quarter.

After they sold my first car to someone else, they gave me a new VIN and a delivery date of Sept 28th. I said I would be on vacation and I'd like to pick it up 3 days later, since it was already paid in full. They said that's not possible, they would sell the car to someone else and I would have to wait for another car at a later date.

It really seems like they are just trying to get cars out the door this week and forgetting about customer service, just to get the end of quarter numbers up.

I have investments in Tesla. I understand why they are doing this, they need to survive. But I am also affected by the way they are doing business at this point and time, and it is a huge turnoff.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and neroden
I have investments in Tesla. I understand why they are doing this, they need to survive. But I am also affected by the way they are doing business at this point and time, and it is a huge turnoff.

Agreed. And the shame of it is that they have the opportunity to turn these mistakes into goodwill by offering things like free supercharging or discounts on EAP/FSD that wouldn't cost them very much and wouldn't slow down deliveries at all. Instead they're doubling down and pissing off tons of customers and damaging their reputation in the process.

Reactions: 0mpg and windgrins
Agreed. And the shame of it is that they have the opportunity to turn these mistakes into goodwill by offering things like free supercharging or discounts on EAP/FSD that wouldn't cost them very much and wouldn't slow down deliveries at all. Instead they're doubling down and pissing off tons of customers and damaging their reputation in the process.

Instead they are offering incentives like free supercharging if you hurry up and take delivery before the end of the quarter.
They are pulling demand levers at the potential expense of other customers who will have to wait longer for a reassigned car.

Before I even got my first VIN, my order page had a glitch and my config was changed several times, and still ended up shipping with the wrong wheel configuration. I asked if home delivery was an option for the inconvenience and they agreed. They attempted to make the situation right, and I was happy. I paid in full so I could take home delivery for a configuration they goofed up on.

Now that we are close to end of quarter they sold that car to someone else, canceled my home delivery, gave me a new VIN and said they would give that VIN to someone else if I didn't take delivery by end of quarter. It went from attempting to remedy the situation to doing whatever it takes on their end at the sacrifice of the customer to make quarterly results.

They have my money. I'll eventually get the car, but I'll always remember how poorly they handled the situation. Freebies would certainly make me happy, but I'm not entitled to them. It's up to Tesla how they want to remedy these growing pains with dissatisfied customers.

Checked my account tonight and the scheduled delivery date of Sept 28 has now been changed to Oct 4.
Tesla never called to confirm date change, and now my VIN has been removed from the account.
I called the delivery team and they said their computer shows an Oct 4 direct delivery to my house.

I almost laughed because I was supposed to get the car the other week but they canceled my home delivery and sold the car to someone else, after I paid it in full. They said I need to come Sept 28 or forfeit delivery. Now they suddenly changed it to Oct 4 direct delivery.

I'd be thrilled if this actually happens, but at least tell the customer if you cancel and reschedule delivery to another date.

Checked my account tonight and the scheduled delivery date of Sept 28 has now been changed to Oct 4.
Tesla never called to confirm date change, and now my VIN has been removed from the account.
I called the delivery team and they said their computer shows an Oct 4 direct delivery to my house.

I almost laughed because I was supposed to get the car the other week but they canceled my home delivery and sold the car to someone else, after I paid it in full. They said I need to come Sept 28 or forfeit delivery. Now they suddenly changed it to Oct 4 direct delivery.

I'd be thrilled if this actually happens, but at least tell the customer if you cancel and reschedule delivery to another date.

I’m not sure you’re in the right thread — this was meant for people who don’t currently have a res date.

That said, your VIN disappeared because it’s more than 7 days out.

White on White P3D-

Deposit: 6/29/2017
Ordered: 6/26/2018
Scheduled: 9/06/2018
Scheduled date disappeared: 9/24/2018

So Originally I put cash, but then later on decided I might as well do a partial finance. A few months ago where my confirmation screen came up, it asked "Is this information correct?" on the cash financing part. I responded "No" and wrote in that I'd like to change to financed. Then on 9/6 when they emailed to schedule, I asked him and he said that they will figure that out later and it shouldn't be an issue. He said my delivery adviser could fix that, he couldn't do anything.

So Fast Forward to Saturday 9/22 and the same guy emails me saying he's changed my financing options and I can go ahead and fill out that info. Four days from delivery and still no VIN. I fill that out, everything is set, I call this morning 9/24 just two days away and ask. The lady on the phone says she will look into it and call me back by 4pm (in ten minutes from this post) and tell me what's up. About an hour ago my order went from No VIN scheduled Wednesday, to No Vin "Late September" estimate.

I have a feeling that changing my financing option is what held me back. Almost all the other people with my configuration got VINs just fine it seems like, but I'm guessing because my "Prepare Delivery" step wasn't complete I got forgotten about. This was despite calling about a dozen times over the past month or two trying to get that fixed. Everyone said it wouldn't delay anything, but I don't know if I believe that. Curious to hear if any others changed financing and got delayed (presumably) because of it as well.

White on White AWD

Deposited 1 week after the model 3 was announced
Ordered: 8/23
Scheduled with vin 9/1: Emailed the day before. Shipping error
Scheduled 9/25: Called day before to cancel, shipping error. No eta. Offered a different color without white seats. Said they will reassign vin. Note this is my first time ever receiving a call.

I'm pretty frustrated. You know shipping problems sooner than the day before. Because of their lack of customer service I will be making a car payment without a car. I'm considering demanding a full refund at this point. Not sure if they even gave me free autopilot if i'd be ok with it. This just happened so I guess I'm still pretty upset.

White on White P3D-

Deposit: 6/29/2017
Ordered: 6/26/2018
Scheduled: 9/06/2018
Scheduled date disappeared: 9/24/2018

So Originally I put cash, but then later on decided I might as well do a partial finance. A few months ago where my confirmation screen came up, it asked "Is this information correct?" on the cash financing part. I responded "No" and wrote in that I'd like to change to financed. Then on 9/6 when they emailed to schedule, I asked him and he said that they will figure that out later and it shouldn't be an issue. He said my delivery adviser could fix that, he couldn't do anything.

So Fast Forward to Saturday 9/22 and the same guy emails me saying he's changed my financing options and I can go ahead and fill out that info. Four days from delivery and still no VIN. I fill that out, everything is set, I call this morning 9/24 just two days away and ask. The lady on the phone says she will look into it and call me back by 4pm (in ten minutes from this post) and tell me what's up. About an hour ago my order went from No VIN scheduled Wednesday, to No Vin "Late September" estimate.

I have a feeling that changing my financing option is what held me back. Almost all the other people with my configuration got VINs just fine it seems like, but I'm guessing because my "Prepare Delivery" step wasn't complete I got forgotten about. This was despite calling about a dozen times over the past month or two trying to get that fixed. Everyone said it wouldn't delay anything, but I don't know if I believe that. Curious to hear if any others changed financing and got delayed (presumably) because of it as well.

I don't think it's because you changed financing I just think they never built your car or they sold it to someone else.

White on White P3d-
Deposited 5/22/17
Ordered AWD 6/30, changed to performance 8/25
Scheduled: 9/7/18 for 9/23/18 @ 10:00
Contacted in the middle of selling my vehicle on 9/22/18 in the late afternoon.

Went from "get your vin" back to "schedule delivery".
Estimated time-frame now says late September but there's no year after September.

Last edited: