Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Electric Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was sort of joking, as "idling" with an ICE means the vehicle is not moving but the motor is running at idle. Obviously there is no need for an electric motor to idle in an EV, and I don't consider a parked EV that has the heat or A/C on, or lights, stereo, etc, to be idling.

Love this! Long Beach ports has been doing a lot of Electric trucks. A model for the world.

Yes, port of LA would be a perfect application - small area for overhead infrastructure with super high density active trucking.
(Moving containers between boats and trains...)

No need to stop for a recharge, or worry about battery weight/cost/size/longevity...

I've been wondering if something like that could be used for a recharge. You'd only put the overhead wires in one or two sections of a regular route so there would be less infrastructure to build. That would allow a smaller pack to keep costs down, but it would have to be a fast charge titanate chemistry such as Altairnano or Scib.

I've been wondering if something like that could be used for a recharge. You'd only put the overhead wires in one or two sections of a regular route so there would be less infrastructure to build. That would allow a smaller pack to keep costs down, but it would have to be a fast charge titanate chemistry such as Altairnano or Scib.

And totally eliminate the diesel engine. Beautiful.

Ezra Dyer in Automobile Magazine talks about the Balqon Mule M150 electric bus

The Mule M150 accelerates as you might expect for a thirty-passenger bus with 150 hp under the hood. The Mule's power delivery is like a tree's taproot boring down through a crack in the sidewalk -- slow but relentless. With the electric motor hooked to a torque converter and the six-speed transmission, the Mule has some serious torque multiplication going on, but the horsepower situation certainly leaves something to be desired. Top speed is 70 mph, if you've got a while. But for city buses and urban delivery trucks, the Mule's 0-to-35-mph performance is what's relevant, and in stop-and-go traffic on Los Angeles boulevards it holds its own. The accelerator is programmed for smooth launches, so just floor it and go.

And then keep going for 150 miles (unloaded) or 90 miles (fully loaded), because this thing has the battery capacity of a showroom full of Nissan Leafs. In passenger cars, batteries present two big physical challenges: where are you going to put the pack, and how much does it weigh? In a truck or a bus, the answers to those questions are, "Anywhere you want," and "Who cares?" The batteries hanging from the Mule's ample frame rails provide 220 kilowatt-hours of juice, or nearly fourteen Chevy Volts' worth. That should be good for a full shift in an urban bus, and the batteries can be fully recharged in five hours.

New Zealand company getting into the Electric Truck scene

Electric truck to collect Kapiti rubbish | Stuff.co.nz
This a brilliant idea. Its one of the few applications where you have truly massive vehicles that spend there whole day starting and stopping, traveling very short distances in between and in total, and with a route that's a known quantity and can be planned weeks in advance.

I think Tesla still has a chance to innovate here and make a massive difference. Create a rig with the batteries stacked behind the cab efficiently in a sealed container. Every 400 miles (or whatever the range), have a battery exchanger along the interstate. Basically, a carousel with a crane in the middle. Truck lines up via automatic system, crane pulls off the battery box, places in the charging cradle, carousel turns one place, fresh battery box is loaded onto truck, driver (who took a pee and grabbed a coffee during the 5 minutes) goes on down the road. That could offset massive diesel use along the interstates and within range of the battery exchangers. Just doing that and swapping the cargo to go off the electric highway for remote places with regular cabs would help so much. They should trial with walmart or some massive outfit. Feds could come in with incentives for drivers to lease the cabs at low cost and work the routes. That seems like it could be done in less than four years, and wouldn't disrupt the current industry too much. Maybe this has already been said, or maybe I gave away a $B idea. Seems so simple...