Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The End of my MY Story (at least for now)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dude - you should get your deposit back. How do you end up with a Model 3 Performance instead of a Model Y order?

I would make a big stink about this after all your issues.

Your problem highlights the issues with Tesla's made to order policy and poor QC. I personally would not order a MY or any other Tesla at this time unless you are OK with a number of minor fit and finish issues like yours. The only other alternative is to be able to pre-inspect from a number of cars built to your spec and pick the best one.
I was talking with a Sales Rep about availability of Model Y. He had said They had a couple of ones in Vegas, but they were the performance model. I needed to stay under 60k to get the CA rebate. He told about another rebate that I might be qualified for.. somehow after that he confused it if a M3 perf. I still thought we were talking about the MY. He said I could get it 60k because it had some miles. I said go for it. Went through whole purchase thing and after I agreed and sign I got email saying my M3 perf would ready in a couple days. I questioned him why it said M3 and he said he thought I was talking about A M3. Because I canceled the M3 order I lost my 100 and Tesla refused to refund even even there was a communication error on both sides. That is a problem with buying online, you not seeing what your buying
You are right. I would not recommend anyone get a MY right now. If someone absolutely has to have right One
now, I would recommend they bring a professional body guy with them and reject every car until they get a good one. Thanks for your input.

I'm biased as I strongly believe in Tesla's mission and have followed them closely. The early cars will have problems, this business of making cars is insane and I love how quickly Tesla has been releasing products, and racing ahead to scale up to Mega, Giga, Tera and beyond. An unfortunate risk to this is quality of early products. If you are going to be picky, and I personally think these complaints you had are minor, just don't take delivery early. Wait 1 year to hear that people are satisfied as they are now with the Model 3 and then buy yours. I personally got an early Model 3 and yes it has tiny little specks of issues and gaps but who cares, it drives like a dream, it's super efficient, it is quiet, the software is stable and fast and constantly improving, and the list goes on.
Bottom line, yes complain about issues and keep Tesla sharp and pushing for high quality, but if you're picky then wait or expect to waste your time.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sirricardo
Just take a breath and buy an ICE vehicle that meets your standards. You will be much happier. Later on there will be EVs you can live with. They will exist because of supportive early adopters willing to live with some imperfection. Yes, I know that sounds smarmy but it's just the simple truth. My model Y isn't perfect, but it's a really really good car.
I agree I think the MY will be a great car...just too many issues right . Glad you got a good one. I wish I had not sold my MS.. it was am awesome car.

Ugh what a waste of your time!

The more people reject and return cars the more likely Tesla is to care about quality the first time. Who knows maybe they’ll even hire some people for QC at the factory.
Sorry to have to tell you this...They DON’T care.
As long as they can sell their ‘junks’ to the next people, why should they?

I'm biased as I strongly believe in Tesla's mission and have followed them closely. The early cars will have problems, this business of making cars is insane and I love how quickly Tesla has been releasing products, and racing ahead to scale up to Mega, Giga, Tera and beyond. An unfortunate risk to this is quality of early products. If you are going to be picky, and I personally think these complaints you had are minor, just don't take delivery early. Wait 1 year to hear that people are satisfied as they are now with the Model 3 and then buy yours. I personally got an early Model 3 and yes it has tiny little specks of issues and gaps but who cares, it drives like a dream, it's super efficient, it is quiet, the software is stable and fast and constantly improving, and the list goes on.
Bottom line, yes complain about issues and keep Tesla sharp and pushing for high quality, but if you're picky then wait or expect to waste your time.
I actually toned done my expectations for the second MY that I accepted. I was not until I got home and got a closer look at the paint. Having the paint on all four panels mismatched on the passenger side was not a minor issue . Then having a Tesla Certified body shop Confirm and show me damaged door and hood hinges , I raised the white flag and returned the car. Having owned an MS I might have been spoiled. I also believed in what Tesla is trying to accomplish, but I think they are straying away from their goals to satisfy their shareholders. Build a better car and they will come . Q2 is a bust because of Covid. Testa should address their issues and focus on their Customers instead $$$.

Reactions: raggedy
My delivery experience wasn't that bad, but also wasn't too dissimilar- main difference being that I lowered my expectations based on everything I had read and heard about possible issues (and I did a lot of research prior to commitment to buy). I'm a German car and german motorcycle fan/owner fan and have owned two Lexuses prior, so I knew I had to recalibrate my expectations and let the pros of getting an MS outweigh the cons if I wanted to commit to buying my first EV. And here's the problem on a wider scale for this topic: I had *demand* for the Tesla. Of course, high demand will usually favor the seller. It was mentioned earlier that until the quality-based rejections make a real dent in sales or reputation (i.e. sales), quality will suffer.
Regardless, because of my calibrated (i.e., lowered) expectations, I asked for only (LOL) two major adjustments to be corrected upon delivery- and I had to push hard. But they realized I was planning to walk, so they agreed after ensuring me they were going "above and beyond" and that my car passed QC and was normal. Side note- they did not make me enjoy my delivery experience- which should have been a very happy day, right?. But this is consistent with the topic because this is ultimately about customer satisfaction
I've accepted that my panel gaps aren't equivalent to German precision quality, and have accepted that the electronics sometimes do not function flawlessly, but the value remains very high to me and I've enjoyed- even loved- My MS thanks to managed expectations.
But look out Tesla, when a higher quality, yet otherwise comparable car comes along for the same money, I will not ignore it.
But for now, let's eMotor!
-f
StoneZAPPP.jpg

Reactions: alloverx
The car you returned does NOT sound typical. It sounds more like it was damaged in shipment or when it was used to do a demo.
Hopefully you will not be punished for returning the car as it was clearly defective in terms of body, paint and trim.
If all Teslas came out of the factory like this, they would not have hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers.
This is why I say this was damaged goods....way beyond production defects.
Someone at the service center likely knew this and thus they easily allowed its return with a lame excuse for the defects.
Unfortunately I was, lost my 100 deposit and I cannot reorder the same MY in the same trim level for a year.
Nice way to build customer trust and loyalty and increase sales numbers LOL

Reactions: sceptic
Having door panels whose color doesn't match is minor in a new car (as well as many damaged components)? I don't think so

Reactions: teko and raggedy
This is more of a response about taking delivery than the specific car - I’m off thread with a M3 AWD - but it was a lousy experience and nearly ruined our enjoyment of the new car. We were so exhausted with waiting in the heat and having heated exchanges with the delivery team, who would call you but not be available when you called them, that we skimmed through the checklist. We had slightly misaligned doors and a paint ding on the front bumper. End result was mobile service did some out and they did fix it to my satisfaction. But: I’m nervous to find something else I may have missed.

So much for consumer confidence.

This is more of a response about taking delivery than the specific car - I’m off thread with a M3 AWD - but it was a lousy experience and nearly ruined our enjoyment of the new car. We were so exhausted with waiting in the heat and having heated exchanges with the delivery team, who would call you but not be available when you called them, that we skimmed through the checklist. We had slightly misaligned doors and a paint ding on the front bumper. End result was mobile service did come out and they did fix it to my satisfaction. But: I’m nervous to find something else I may have missed.

So much for consumer confidence.

For whatever it's worth, I picked up my Y this past Sunday, and it was almost flawless. Just a few minor issues: coat hook on the passenger side didn't operate and there is a slight rattle in the passenger-side door. That's it. I went through their touchless delivery at the Fremont factory and I have to say I liked the experience. Didn't have to wait for the car, as it was already parked in the designated spot, or have to deal with any humans. I think all deliveries should be handled this way.

Reactions: hcdavis3
For whatever it's worth, I picked up my Y this past Sunday, and it was almost flawless. Just a few minor issues: coat hook on the passenger side didn't operate and there is a slight rattle in the passenger-side door. That's it. I went through their touchless delivery at the Fremont factory and I have to say I liked the experience. Didn't have to wait for the car, as it was already parked in the designated spot, or have to deal with any humans. I think all deliveries should be handled this way.
Hey that is awesome, glad you got a nice car!!!

Today really was a bummer. What started out 4 months ago thinking I would get a really cool car turned into a bad dream.

Right before the Covid started I decided to sell My MS and get a Model X. Started looking for the X but couldn’t quite find one I liked. Sold my MS and ended talking to Tesla about the MY right after they shut down. Tesla said there were a few around and I could order one. During a confusing phone conversation and ordering what I thought was a MY, turned into a M3 perf which I did not want. Ended up losing my deposit. (Should have stopped there) Got call a few days later from Tesla. And wanted to know If I wanted to test drive a MY, of course I did. Next day my daughter and I were the first in San Diego to test drive a MY. Ordered one that Day, 5/9 (white/Black, AWD, non-performance, 19”, no FSD ). Was told about 4 weeks to get one. Spent the next few weeks on online reading about the MY, checking for Vin #s, getting a fake one for Model X P90D, getting the 2 week text and in June getting a real Vin# , MVPA, then finally the text for delivery. On 6/13 My 2 kids and I armed with a checklist, went to the Carlsbad delivery center to get our MY. After a 45 min inspection and list of 22 issues with car including misalignments, paint, gap and rear seat problems the Tesla Delivery guy told us to reject the car and Tesla would issue us a new vin#. He said should take 7-10 days to get a new one. Left bummed but happy did not come with car that had issues. The following week got a new vin and new delivery date, 6/19. Back to Delivery center on 6/19 to take delivery. This car better with less issues (or so I thought). Took delivery with promise Tesla would resolve issues.

Next day got a chance to look the car over in natural light and discovered the passenger side door panels and rear 1/4 quarter panel paint did not match. Found a couple other gap issues I had missed. I made an appointment through the app and downloaded pictures of everything. ( have to do within 100 miles or Tesla will not take responsibility)Then got an appointment with a mobile repair, instead of service center. Tried get it changed but no luck. Decided I would take the car to a Tesla certified body shop here in San Diego and get their opinion.

Took it to the body shop and the news from the body shop was not good. Not only was the paint mismatched, but the manager of the shop found multiple other issues in the body that I had missed. Left for the Tesla Service center a little shell shocked and embarrassed that I had missed so many problems with car. When got service center which was surprising empty I was told I had go back to the delivery center to report cosmetic issues. It was then that I decided to return the car.

Drove to the delivery center, spoke to the manager, who passed me off to the Interim Service Manager. He had the personality of a grape. He told me the MY is a new car for a Tesla and all of issues should be expected. Offered no solutions or apologies other then here are the forms to sign to return the car and where were my key cards. He didn’t even ask what issues the car had. I asked when I would receive my down payment. He said 30 to 45 days and again asked for the key cards. Also informed me I could not order same model car with same trim level for 1 year.(already expected that)
My four month journey to buying another Tesla was over in 5 minutes.

What I learned....I did really like the MY as an EV, liked the technology. , hated that Tesla has some very big problems with production, Sales methods and Policies are horrible, a lot of their staff has no clue about the car business or even cars in general. If they do not make some changes in the way the treat customers now, in the long run not even having the best technology will save them when the competition catches up. By the way I loved my used Model S that bought at a Tesla Wholesale auction, maybe I should have kept it...Tesla if you are reading this you got your key cards back... I want my 40,000 down payment back now!,,.. A disappointed Tesla fan
Could you share your checklist? I'm scheduled to get a MY next month and would love to see your checklist.

Thanks in advance.
Today really was a bummer. What started out 4 months ago thinking I would get a really cool car turned into a bad dream.

Right before the Covid started I decided to sell My MS and get a Model X. Started looking for the X but couldn’t quite find one I liked. Sold my MS and ended talking to Tesla about the MY right after they shut down. Tesla said there were a few around and I could order one. During a confusing phone conversation and ordering what I thought was a MY, turned into a M3 perf which I did not want. Ended up losing my deposit. (Should have stopped there) Got call a few days later from Tesla. And wanted to know If I wanted to test drive a MY, of course I did. Next day my daughter and I were the first in San Diego to test drive a MY. Ordered one that Day, 5/9 (white/Black, AWD, non-performance, 19”, no FSD ). Was told about 4 weeks to get one. Spent the next few weeks on online reading about the MY, checking for Vin #s, getting a fake one for Model X P90D, getting the 2 week text and in June getting a real Vin# , MVPA, then finally the text for delivery. On 6/13 My 2 kids and I armed with a checklist, went to the Carlsbad delivery center to get our MY. After a 45 min inspection and list of 22 issues with car including misalignments, paint, gap and rear seat problems the Tesla Delivery guy told us to reject the car and Tesla would issue us a new vin#. He said should take 7-10 days to get a new one. Left bummed but happy did not come with car that had issues. The following week got a new vin and new delivery date, 6/19. Back to Delivery center on 6/19 to take delivery. This car better with less issues (or so I thought). Took delivery with promise Tesla would resolve issues.

Next day got a chance to look the car over in natural light and discovered the passenger side door panels and rear 1/4 quarter panel paint did not match. Found a couple other gap issues I had missed. I made an appointment through the app and downloaded pictures of everything. ( have to do within 100 miles or Tesla will not take responsibility)Then got an appointment with a mobile repair, instead of service center. Tried get it changed but no luck. Decided I would take the car to a Tesla certified body shop here in San Diego and get their opinion.

Took it to the body shop and the news from the body shop was not good. Not only was the paint mismatched, but the manager of the shop found multiple other issues in the body that I had missed. Left for the Tesla Service center a little shell shocked and embarrassed that I had missed so many problems with car. When got service center which was surprising empty I was told I had go back to the delivery center to report cosmetic issues. It was then that I decided to return the car.

Drove to the delivery center, spoke to the manager, who passed me off to the Interim Service Manager. He had the personality of a grape. He told me the MY is a new car for a Tesla and all of issues should be expected. Offered no solutions or apologies other then here are the forms to sign to return the car and where were my key cards. He didn’t even ask what issues the car had. I asked when I would receive my down payment. He said 30 to 45 days and again asked for the key cards. Also informed me I could not order same model car with same trim level for 1 year.(already expected that)
My four month journey to buying another Tesla was over in 5 minutes.

What I learned....I did really like the MY as an EV, liked the technology. , hated that Tesla has some very big problems with production, Sales methods and Policies are horrible, a lot of their staff has no clue about the car business or even cars in general. If they do not make some changes in the way the treat customers now, in the long run not even having the best technology will save them when the competition catches up. By the way I loved my used Model S that bought at a Tesla Wholesale auction, maybe I should have kept it...Tesla if you are reading this you got your key cards back... I want my 40,000 down payment back now!,,.. A disappointed Tesla fan

It's the same old shame old, I'm afraid. I have had my M3 for 9 months now, and though I love the actual car, my dealings with Tesla as a company have been abysmal. They have been obstructive, uncommunicative, dismissive and evasive, have reneged on promises. This is a different model and a different country (UK in my case) but the company is dreadful to deal with, arrogant and uncaring. I have said before, I would recommend the car but never the company. Since my own very poor experience with them I have made clear to any prospective purchaser that asks (and the car does get a lot of attention) that once they have your money you cannot expect much help or communication. Caveat emptor indeed.

Reactions: InternetDude
Thanks for this positive report. I’m picking up my MY in Burbank this weekend. I’m taking the list kindly provided by a user on one of the fora. I’m ready to reject if necessary but hoping that this one is ok. If I return the car under the conditions I understand all I would need to do is change one thing in the trim. Am I correct?

I’ve had a 2017 MS 100D for 3 years now. I didn’t have the delivery issues you had. But I couldn’t agree more with you on the unconscionable way Tesla treats it’s customers. I consider selling my car after every service experience as I hate the way I’m treated. Imagine paying $120k for a car and being treated by service like it’s a used Yugo! I love the car, but hate the service experience. So far, the former outweighs the latter.
Sorry about your experience.
I really sympathize with owners like Tahoe Guy. I've seen too many posts like this to think such experience are the rare exception.
However, in fairness, I feel forced to respond and say that my experience has been diametrically opposite. I've had my MS for 3 years now, and I've still not found the first manufacturing defect. I've dealt with my local SC only for routine matters, admittedly nothing contentious, and I've found the employees there a pleasure to deal with. They're polite, knowledgeable, anything but arrogant, and certainly seem to have respect both for their employer and me.
This does not in any way excuse what happened to OP or to anyone else who responded here. Tesla has a long way to go with QC and service, like maybe reinstalling telephones in SCs. It's just that it's important in such discussions to note that at least some of us are having exemplary experiences.