Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The high-pitched whine during acceleration...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The motor sound in my car isn't perfectly consistent. I can count on a "entering hyperdrive" high-pitched whine at the upper end of the power draw (a sound, at least in my particular example, that I enjoy; it's not annoying for brief periods and punctuates the acceleration nicely). But I was also getting some clearly audible whine drawing between 10kW and 20kW (approximately), not unlike what @ModelS1079 described, but less annoying than his case. That lasted for one afternoon and hasn't re-emerged yet.

My sig non-perf has developed a strong whine as well. It was always there a bit but after 1500 miles of driving its now significantly louder. I drove a Performance production car (vin somewhere around 1300) and the whine was present but much quieter than my non-perf.

I think there is something to the theory that inverter coils/inductors that 'loosen up' after some use and make more noticeable sound. I'm not concerned but hopefully this is an 'early adopter' thing that will be improved with a service bulletin or component replacement this year.

My sig non-perf has developed a strong whine as well. It was always there a bit but after 1500 miles of driving its now significantly louder. I drove a Performance production car (vin somewhere around 1300) and the whine was present but much quieter than my non-perf.

I think there is something to the theory that inverter coils/inductors that 'loosen up' after some use and make more noticeable sound. I'm not concerned but hopefully this is an 'early adopter' thing that will be improved with a service bulletin or component replacement this year.

I wouldn't count on that. i suspect that, barring a lot more sound insulation, it would be hard to stop the coils from doing that. Any product that I've designed that uses swiching power supplies makes noise like that, but not as loud (less power!).

Theoretically you ought not to be able to hear it - too high frequency - so there is probably just a little bit of "rattling" of the windings going on.

My 60 just started the whine yesterday. It occurs when I punch it. Wasn't there before. I was close to 1500 miles yesterday, and passed it today. I also think I got a software push to the car yesterday. My driver door now works where it wouldn't open before. Tesla Service said it could be fixed via software push, I just didn't believe that software could fix it. Well, knock on wood, it's working now.

But darn, the high pitch whine started at the same time. So I wonder if the software push changed something that is causing the whine. Or just coincidence.

Heard this now famous whine today for the first time. I am pretty sure it wasnt present before. Caught me by surprise. I did not have enough stretch to keep accellerating too long so I do not know if it continues throughout the acceleration but stops when i take my foot off the accelerator and starts above 160 kW. I have read the thread and seems to be relatively common. Just wonder if it will get worse or happen at lower speeds. Also not clear if there is anything Tesla can do about this or not.

I also recently heard the "balloon" noise for the first time. I was at a MEVA meeting and gave test rides to about 25 people, and of course I was punching the accelerator a LOT. I thought it was maybe due to being warmer (-10C instead of below - 20C). I don't normally accelerate hard, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't there back in January/early February. In any case, none of the riders cared one bit, even when I mentioned the noise.

- - - Updated - - -

*I* don't like it, though.

The high pitched whine you hear when accelerating hard is a mechanical noise. The connection between the battery and the inverter is basically a plug. High rates of discharge (acceleration) cause the plug prongs to literally vibrate and create the whine. Someone who was close to the entire development process of the Model S told me there was a pretty good debate whether to reengineer the plug or not. Personally I think the mechanical whine is pretty amazing.

I'm no electrical engineer, so I probably cannot describe the dynamics of "why", but that's the source of the noise. It's definitely normal and it's not bad for the car.

The high pitched whine you hear when accelerating hard is a mechanical noise. The connection between the battery and the inverter is basically a plug. High rates of discharge (acceleration) cause the plug prongs to literally vibrate and create the whine. Someone who was close to the entire development process of the Model S told me there was a pretty good debate whether to reengineer the plug or not. Personally I think the mechanical whine is pretty amazing.

I'm no electrical engineer, so I probably cannot describe the dynamics of "why", but that's the source of the noise. It's definitely normal and it's not bad for the car.

That is certainly plausible. Large currents generate significant magnetic fields and therefore magnetic forces.

The high pitched whine you hear when accelerating hard is a mechanical noise

... that's the source of the noise. It's definitely normal and it's not bad for the car.
I wish I had your confidence in this. If I did, I probably wouldn't mind the sound.

In my mind, generally speaking a moving part is more likely to wear out than a non-moving one.

Tesla has been aware of this resonating connector since the Get Amped Tours last summer. If the engineers debated re-designing it (some cars have the whine and some don't) you can bet that they know it's a flaw and not desirable from both an electromechanical and esthetic standpoint. Several hundred volts of pulse-width modulated waveform is flowing through that junction creating that "deflating balloon" harmonic some drivers hear. They should fix that connector via redesign.