Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The high-pitched whine during acceleration...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Understood -- except that the Model S will make the noise at 40-80kW (depending on various factors).
I think we are talking about two different noises here. The balloon squeal only happens at max throttle or close to it, and i have only heard it on the performance Model S. The other noise is more of a drone, or a hum, at least in my experience.

- - - Updated - - -

67mph is just about where motor voltage reaches the max value and can output maximum power.
Is whine always there or only when the power is above some big number? If first then it is the frequency, if second it is the frequency times current...
It comes and goes. Temperature, humidity state of charge, and many other factors seem to affect whether it will be there when you floor it.

I think we are talking about two different noises here. The balloon squeal only happens at max throttle or close to it, and i have only heard it on the performance Model S. The other noise is more of a drone, or a hum, at least in my experience.

- - - Updated - - -

It comes and goes. Temperature, humidity state of charge, and many other factors seem to affect whether it will be there when you floor it.

My car has a loud (i.e. can be heard over the radio at low volume and HVAC at low fan speed) and distinctive high-pitched whine at draws of 15-40kW. Usually driving slow, around town at < 30mph maintenance throttle.

Nope, same sound. It doesn't always happen as low as 40-80 (usually requires 160+) but under certain conditions, it'll happen at lower outputs. Either way, it'll frequently happen at 160 which is still lower than the Roadster's max. Others have reported it happening at lower power outputs as well; can't clearly remember if non-performance users have reported it (I think they have but I could be wrong). It varies considerably by car.

Nope, same sound. It doesn't always happen as low as 40-80 (usually requires 160+) but under certain conditions, it'll happen at lower outputs. Either way, it'll frequently happen at 160 which is still lower than the Roadster's max. Others have reported it happening at lower power outputs as well; can't clearly remember if non-performance users have reported it (I think they have but I could be wrong). It varies considerably by car.

I have a very subtle balloon squeal now at 160+ kW with my S60 (I hear it when I punch it to merge into the carpool lane on most days). Not at all as pronounced as the squeal I've heard in P85s during test drives back in 2012 but, it's there.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a recording of the Balloon Squeal from another thread: Poll: Does your Model S have the "ballon squeal" under heavy acceleration?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did a couple of speed runs with the cousins yesterday and nary a sound. Come to think of it, it's been quite a while since I heard it. Mine seems to have temporarily cured itself. :)
Did you perchance have back seat passengers? I notice it much more when the back seat is empty. If my two teens (about 250 pounds of 'em) are sitting on the back seats I find it is much harder to hear.