Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The J1772 Tesla Wall Connector is back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Friend has MY on order. Cars no longer come with mobile connector (ridiculous) and Tesla is out of stock! What’s wrong with this company?
Apparently this is the new trend. The Kia EV6 doesn't come with a portable EVSE, and I don't think the Ioniq5 does either (a friend of mine who has one order ordered a 240V capable portable unit to use as his home charger). And apparently the US 2023 VW ID4's are not delivered with one either (my wife has one order, so we shall see).

Initially blamed on supply chain issues (perhaps believable), allowing for priority to be given to people that actually needed it (personally I think it's always a good idea to carry one), but now that it's becoming the status quo, it's probably going to become the new normal.

Kind of like sellling an ICE car with no gas filler and requiring buyer to purchase same separately!
Not quite the same. I mean you can still use the car perfectly if you only use public charging (possibly a reality for many apartment dwellers) or have a home EVSE and don't ever need to plug into regular outlets while away from home.

I'd say it's more like phones (or electronic devices in general) not coming with USB chargers. In that case, the reason is because we probably have 5 of them lying around already. We're certainly not there with portable EVSEs, but the point is that the car is still usable even without one. It does give the buyer some additional flexibility to buy a solution that fits their specific needs.

That said, I do think the car should come with one at a minimum, and then let the buyer upgrade (or downgrade) as necessary.

Elon Musk said from the outset that he expected owners to charge at home and that the SuperChargers are for travel use. Now how does that square with no mobile connector (not wall charger) supplied with the car?

Elon says lots of stuff before reality set in. 😉 Note many EV car manufacturers do not include anything more than a 120V cord as standard. But I still cannot understand how a company that makes expensive cars tends to cheap out in many areas.

Reactions: KJD
Elon says lots of stuff before reality set in. 😉 Note many EV car manufacturers do not include anything more than a 120V cord as standard. But I still cannot understand how a company that makes expensive cars tends to cheap out in many areas.
If 1 Million cars each order the mobile connector or the wall connector at >= $200 each it starts to turn into real money. I think that's why they are "cheaping out". It's good for the bottom line.

Reactions: Ciaopec
If 1 Million cars each order the mobile connector or the wall connector at >= $200 each it starts to turn into real money. I think that's why they are "cheaping out". It's good for the bottom line.

One of the statements made when this change was implemented is that Tesla customers were not using the mobile connector. They either used a wall connector or a public / condo charging station.

But to your point, a lot of money is made by car manufacturers by offering options. Porsche is probably the worst offender given their options lists goes on for pages! 😉

Elon Musk said from the outset that he expected owners to charge at home and that the SuperChargers are for travel use. Now how does that square with no mobile connector (not wall charger) supplied with the car?
I think those are two unrelated things.

Just because they don't include something in the purchase price doesn't mean they don't expect you to use it. They just aren't going to assume what your needs are. Maybe you already have a 3rd party solution. Or maybe you prefer to only have a wall connector and believe you can get by without a mobile connector (I personally think everyone ought to have a mobile connector in their car for emergencies or the occasional visit to a relative that doesn't have a charging station, but not everyone may think that way).

I think it's similar to the Homelink situation. For each Homelink unit in the car, Tesla has to pay a license fee to Homelink, which obviously adds cost. But maybe only 50% of people actually use the Homelink, so why should Andy (who doesn't have a garage) have to pay an extra few hundred bucks for their car so that Bob can use Homelink for free? As much as it appeared that Tesla "cheaped out" by unbundling Homelink, it actually was more consumer friendly as only those that needed it would have to buy it.

I should have noted that since 2015 I have used an included Mobile Connector for home charging. I have carried it while traveling only one time when staying in the Adirondacks before SuperChargers came to the area. For indoor home charging a Mobile Connector works just fine. Having to buy a cord for a car costing 60 to $150 K is ridiculous!

The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector with J1772 charging connector is now available at Best Buy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tesla-...h-48a-hardwired-black/6527755.p?skuId=6527755

Since the Tesla charging cable extension from EVSE adapters is usually/always not in stock, if you install a J1772 charging station such as this version of the Tesla Wall Connector and need a charging cord longer than 24 feet you can purchase a J1772 extension cord from Lectron (available in both 20ft. and 40 ft. lengths.) Note that the Lectron extension cord may be limited to charging at 40 amps. To charge the Tesla vehicle use the Tesla provided SAE J1772 charging adapter.

Last edited:
Reactions: srs5694