Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The latest drive unit explanation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to disagree with you. DU's and Batteries should be the absolute most reliable part of the car. Most already know, I'm getting DU #4 tomorrow. First one was the Clunk, that got loud enough to echo between houses on my street. Second one was milling noise that was loud enough that Neighbors could hear it IN their homes as I drove by, and #3, has intermittent power loss at random times. #3 is a Revision P drive unit, and has been the most dangerous. In a Median making left turn, press the accelerator to complete my turn in between streches of cars coming from opposite direction, Wham, no power, DNRP turns Red, that oh schnit moment when that Semi is approaching while speeding.... Then all of a sudden powers back and it lurches forward. This has happened a number of times. It is scary, especially with children in the car. Granted, safest car in the world, but I'd rather not test that.

It's gone beyond nagging issue, and has dipped into the realm of just being dangerous. With each new Drive unit, they have had shorter and shorter life span. In fact, in hindsight, I had thought these power-loss problems with #3 were potholes and other bumps in the road, as at first, it happened so quick, it felt more like a bump. But now looking back, and how each time the power loss gets worse.... It was happening almost immediately since #3 install.
I will have had 4 drive units in my car in less then a year as of tomorrow. This is ridiculous. Battery.... I had the battery failure at 34,000. It was the contactor. I had the 60kWh "A" Pack. They were at least able to remedy that issue, and I rarely see people with contactor failures any longer, however, the drive unit issue seems to be getting worse, and number of people having repeat failures is increasing in my observation, not decreasing.
Thanks for your honest feedback. It is one thing to know quirks and limitations ... my current ride (2011 Volt) traction control is overly sensitive and feels like a few seconds loss of power when it 1st slips to the time it reengages. All that quick torque doesn't matter if you are pulling out / turning and the car purposefully halts. Still I understand this and it is predicatable (wet/snow road and from a stand still start). Your situation is unpredictable and is much more highly dangerous.

It's obvious from your description that symptom you experience (with revision P as you mention) is not by design but rather due to faulty component or botched replacement job. Perhaps your tesla shop needs more training.

All drive units I have gotten so far, including one being installed tomorrow, have come directly from Freemont. Service center is not servicing them. Replacement and ship back. Each DU I've gotten had to be ordered.

That motor shaft is impressively large. Unless there's something internal that we're not aware of, the only reason that I can think is to create an extremely stiff shaft in an attempt to avoid harmonic resonance. Considering that it doesn't have the advantage of multiple speed ratios, there's a huge operating speed band which could present some challenges ensuring that no critical speeds are encountered.

That large shaft will also have larger bearing races that will have many more bearing balls distributing the forces. The larger spline will also improve gear meshing.

Anyone know where this large motor shaft picture came from?