Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"The Model X will only be offered as all-wheel-drive" - Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Possible problem, as far as I know the higher capacity cells, 4ah, are volumetrically more dense but not gravimetrically, so that larger pack will add some weight, and hurt efficiency.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but that doesn't quite make sense to me.

You're saying the 4 ah cell is smaller and heavier, but the cells are still 18650 format so the size doesn't change. I suspect there is a gravametric improvement. In the London video, Elon speaks to batteries becoming more energy dense gravametrically, saying that he sees a clear path, over the next 5 years to around 280 Wh/kg. It's common to here of gravametric improvements, but quite rare for anyone to mention watt-hours per liter.

I'm not saying they are smaller, I'm saying they are the same size, 18650, but hold 4ah, so the volumetric density improves, but the weight increases, so the gravimetric density does not improve. I also may be operating with outdated information, Elon might know of better advances to come.

Just now hit me that with AWD (2 motors) the regen force could be pretty heavy. I'm sure TM will tune it appropriately, but after driving a Prius all week (rental) I can't wait for the regen of the S again and AWD super-regen of the X.

So any rumors as to the price? I read on another forum that the cost will be about the same for the Model X as it is for the Model S. Not sure how true that is, but sounds like it's gonna be another $100k vehicle. Which isn't really a surprise. Especially with two motors.

So any rumors as to the price? I read on another forum that the cost will be about the same for the Model X as it is for the Model S. Not sure how true that is, but sounds like it's gonna be another $100k vehicle. Which isn't really a surprise. Especially with two motors.

Elon quantified a slight increase by saying the price difference is a "low single digit percentage." So, if the base price of the S is $71,070, an additional 2% is $1,421, 3% is $2,132, 4% is 2,842 etc.

Do we know if the X will be offered in a 60kWh version?

That was the claim during the initial reveal. I personally think it would be wiser to offer an 85 kWh and a 100 kWh version, though it would suck for those who need the lower price of the 60 kWh to get any Tesla SUV at all.

I think that, though the range hit might be small, it would be better to offer longer range than shorter. A 100 kWh version might sell even better than the S85. Especially if performance is improved.

Do we know if the X will be offered in a 60kWh version?

We'll just have to see but I suspect if the 60kWh is offered it will be much less popular than the Model S 60kWh due the lower range.
Of course for now all we have is the Tesla web site which still shows both battery options but that is too old to be reliable. Just have to wait and see.
model x battery options.PNG

Did you catch that duel motor comes at a "low single digit percentage" over the price of the S. I was always expecting the the Model X to cost more than the Model S and then the Dual motor to cost 5-10k even more over that. According to my calculations 4% of 71k starting price of the Model S is less than 3k. This is Great news! Now if they can keep the cost of options under control, I am all set.

Thinking back to Elon's reasoning for canceling the 40kWh Model S he sounds like he just want's to make exceptional cars. That may mean once they master the tech of AWD that all Teslas will be AWD. Even the Model E. They have certainly found that customers like upgrading their cars and maybe 100s of thousands of Es will be maxed out cars in the 60,000 dollar range. Tesla might be able to say tha the low end one is a $39,000 car but look how awesome it is.

Thinking back to Elon's reasoning for canceling the 40kWh Model S he sounds like he just want's to make exceptional cars. That may mean once they master the tech of AWD that all Teslas will be AWD. Even the Model E. They have certainly found that customers like upgrading their cars and maybe 100s of thousands of Es will be maxed out cars in the 60,000 dollar range. Tesla might be able to say tha the low end one is a $39,000 car but look how awesome it is.

Well, it would depend on the cost of differentiating., especially on cheaper models. But certainly, efficient 4WD would be another awesome win for BEV.

As long as I have the option to turn off the front motor for rear wheel power slides on the E :biggrin: However I don't expect AWD on the E because the cost difference can be more easily buried in the X. Considering "low single digit percentage" over the S price, which S? If you're starting at the "base" price of a performance + model and then adding 3-4% on top of that it's quite a bit different than if you're starting with a basic 85 and adding 3-4%.