Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The most efficient EV I own......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gangzoom

May 22, 2014
Uk
…….Is not our X, with all the wind/rain/cold currently close to 2 miles per kWh in energy consumption excluding vampire drain :).

49566237447_1aedd3b4df_c.jpg

But last weekend my other EV arrived and I've been putting it to good use this week on the commute to work……

49543223028_3a8d590085_c.jpg

It has a battery has 252Wh when full.

Start of the week the battery had 85% SOC, ended the week 32% SOC.

So I used 132Wh or 0.132kWh to cover 54km or 33 miles.

So the overall efficiency of the bike has been 4Wh/mile…….or 100X more efficient than our X!!! It even gives you cell temp readout like our Tesla.

49566006041_bf3b887389_c.jpg

For charging costs it works out 250miles per kWh, or 0.03p per mile :eek:

Looking forwards to the commute next week when storm Dennis and Ciara have died down a bit.

But it does seem like regardless of what brand of EV you go with you cannot get away from TESLA been mentioned :p

49565501193_ddb73caaa0_c.jpg

It’s a fabulous looking bike. Very neat design. I’ve been looking at conversion kits that allow for a little more help along the ride but the execution is quite untidy looking compared to yours.

Go for it, everything is better with as an EV. The Fazua system is great, it doesn't turn the bike into a moped, but lets you get a really good work out just with additional help. The bike also handles like a normal bike, its 15kg so not light at all but for an eBike not heavy at all - Some of the twist and go bikes with battery packs on the back are over 25kg I believe.

The Riddle eBikes also look great, but I'm a sucker for brands on bikes, even though I got mine from the local Halfords the fact Trek, Look and Pinarello eBikes all uses the exact same motor/battery makes me feel like am getting at least some sensation of riding one of those machines.....If money was no object this is what I would commute to work on, infact I was still young, single, and care free, I would probably trade in the X for one of these :).

GF_011-Vergleichstest-Pinarello-Nytro-E-Road-Bike-Rennrad-Test-Review-022.jpg

lets you get a really good work out just with additional help

I read a post where the O/P said they cruise to work, so they don't arrive dripping! but then on the way home they can do a work out. Don't travel by train often, but doing so the other day I was pleasantly surprised to see the number of people with fold-ups, so presumably cycling the last-mile or two

I'm a country bumpkin, not much opportunity for me. Tried to get Uni Sprog to have a EV-scooter of some sort, but she doesn't like the fact its illegal (even if Plod is likely to turn a blind eye)

The blind eye is opening I’m afraid, and met plod is really taking e-scooter riders to task. I’ve seen several stopped here in London, and police are confiscating the machines from the real morons.

I love an e-bike though. I built this about 5 years ago when e-bikes were still bit of an anomaly and no-one knew the rules. It used various bits of bmx, mini-moto and go kart driveline hardware to reduce the high speed 3 phase motor speed down to something more suitable for cycling. It had a proper BMS, computer control of power levels, throttle maps, power ramps etc. It even had cruise control. Ive stopped using it now as despite having a controller on it to limit the power to the legal limit of 250W, it’s only a switch throw to get the full 1.5kW. It wasn’t light, hence the choice of extremely sturdy shocks an 6 piston downhill racing brake.

Even so, it was pretty efficient. 900wh battery at 70volts was far more capacity than required, but meant it could climb a flight of stairs or cruise at over 30mph. It would easily cover 70 or 80miles between charges, and I think 100 miles in ‘eco’ mode (a mere 500w, so only double the legal level) wouldn’t have been out of the question. Sadly, that sort of performance is utterly illegal, so it’s no longer used on public land or roads. While I was using it though, my fuel bill was pennies.
12E42623-FCD6-41B1-9264-68C48A2B7BE1.jpeg

The blind eye is opening I’m afraid, and met plod is really taking e-scooter riders to task. I’ve seen several stopped here in London, and police are confiscating the machines from the real morons.
View attachment 513793

I see several on my commute, the eBike version anyways, no peddling, just cruising up hill. Don't see the point, might as well get a moped.

For me its about seeing it if I can get any where near the speed I had in my youth, I would love to be able to average over 17mph on the road bike with some rolling hills.....Sadly I think am on the wrong side of 30 (approaching 40 :(), but lets see. Will be taking the road bike up to Scotland this summer on the back of the X, hoping to get some decent fitness in the legs to explore the roads on the bike rather than car.

49569320746_d945b3be5c_c.jpg

Even an eBike is pathetic compared to the pros.....23mph average over 5hr, with 2500meter of climbing and that's at 'only' 80% peak performance, I don't care if these guys are on drugs, those are crazy numbers!!

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fkevinmurnane%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F07%2FDe-Gendt-stage-12-2.jpg

I see several on my commute, the eBike version anyways, no peddling, just cruising up hill. Don't see the point, might as well get a moped.

I dont know, just because you don’t see the point, it doesn’t mean there isn’t one, and if it gets some poor soul out on a bicycle who couldn’t otherwise manage it I’m all for it. Easily accessible ebikes are getting more people onto bicycles than ever, and the legal ones are strictly pedal assist which means they still have to do some of the work. That was the intent of the one I built, but in the end the power differential between the motor and the wheezy old knacker in the saddle was so great that the assist was about as relevant as assisting your lawnmower with a pair of nail scissors.

My own objective was to cover the 20miles between my house and my office at a decent pace, without recourse to thousands of pounds of moped, insurance, tax, fuel, safety gear and all the other minutiae that come with motor vehicles. I’d also like to arrive not needing a shower and a change of wardrobe, and not die doing it due to the ineptitude of some daft bus driver or uberist.

I’d cycled to work a number of times in the past, but it was hellishly dangerous for the above reasons. This I think is the main obstacle to widespread cycling (along with headwinds, hills and drizzle). I then found that I could cover all but the first and last mile of my trip on canal and river towpaths. Lovely scenery, wildlife, fresh air, a canal side pub halfway home and no Uber’s. Cycling nirvana, except for swapping smooth-ish tarmac for lots and lots of wheel grabbing, speed sapping gravel which rather increased the workload and increased the time taken to get there, and when combined with a headwind had me arriving at work in need of a sauna, a mid strength beer and a good lie down.

I then built the electric bike using all sorts of odds and ends from all over the world. Now I could get to work faster, enjoy the scenery and pay almost nothing for the privilege. I could go places mopeds couldn’t, cause zero offence, and arrive at work fresh as a daisy...

Like all home built contraptions there were downsides. As well as greatly overestimating the battery requirements I hadn’t got my sums right when setting the gearing for the jack shaft, so peak motor efficiency didn’t come matched to ideal pedalling cadence. Real Lycra clad roadies like a cadence around 90rpm I’m told. To keep up with this thing you need about 150rpm. Result? Over 15mph you can’t keep up with it. Your feet would need to be a blur the likes of Roadrunner or Billy Whizz to add any meaningful torque. It’s not a drawback for the terminally lazy as you can just stop pedalling and let the bike do the work. The pedals are connected to the drivetrain via a one way clutch (a BMX freewheel in the centre of the crankset), but you can’t really call it “pedal assist” above 15mph. It really does become a moped. The notion of being sweat free after the hour or so in the saddle was also miscalculated since despite not pedalling, you still had to work bloody hard to wrestle it through the bends, locks, bridges and underpasses of inner city canals. At top speed on gravel it was like wrestling a wild animal.

The other drawback was the durability of bicycle chain when exposed to the equivalent of 4 jacked up Lance Armstrongs. It had a habit of snapping chains, which while easily repairable, did rather spoil the journey.

All in all though, my first homemade foray into EV’s was a great eye opener

and not die doing it due to the ineptitude of some daft bus driver or uberist.

I’d cycled to work a number of times in the past, but it was hellishly dangerous for the above reasons.

I have to say bus chasing/drafting and weaving through rush hour traffic is one thing I really love about pedal biking.

Call me nuts, but it does get the adrenaline going. I've been over the bonnet of cars a few times over the years though, doesn't put me off, the guy who decided to run me over whilst running a red light was a proper tool though and I wish I had called the police on them.

The eBike does raise the stakes a bit at getting to 15mph is so much quicker. Currently my biggest worry is parents with push chairs who decide to cross the road without looking, I've had two near misses already last week.

I

Last edited:
eBikes are good if a non rider is trying to build up some riding endurance to be able to start riding with friends right away. I started my cycling with a slightly older mostly carbon road bike, keeping up with my friends was and still is a challenge. I had thoughts of getting a eBike but after looking at the range I felt for my riding style the bike can help for the 1'st part of my ride, however it would be a hinderance for the remainder of the ride.

So for some very specific use cases, eBikes can be great. So agreed to the point that it helps someone get out more, and they can go on some of the shorter 20-30 mile rides with their friends.