Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Most Fun "Bad Behavior" ... Because We Can

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

focher

Oct 15, 2013
Bay Area
Regardless of configuration, the Model 3 makes it easy to jump into many different fun situations. Let's share your favorite story.

Mine is repeated often. In my 3 Performance, I often encounter people who refuse to accept the power of my car and just appear to drive like they can't be overtaken by me. Just today, I wanted to enter the HOV lane (carpool) and there was a SUV who was just sitting in my blind spot. I decided this was unsafe, so I immediately accelerated from 70 to about 95 so that I was able to change lanes in front of the SUV. Clearly, this was the safest thing to do so that this terrible SUV driver was behind me. I probably avoided a life-endangering scenario of some kind (which I cannot articulate, but I feel it's true).

With great power comes great responsibility. What have you done to violate this premise?

I like to use passing power on freeways if when I need to especially existing. I try to stay away from looking for a situations to use power like zipping out of right line at red lines or on ramp passing but let opportunity come to me. Seems safer.

You guys are all about the speed, but you are wrong. The TM3 has a little latency before AWD kicks in, so in freezing conditions just before entering a turn steer out of the road, release the throttle, tap the brakes (don't floor them) and flick the steering wheel to steer with the turn and floor the throttle.
You can just drift through all turns you see in the winter. It's amazing fun, and horrendous for everyone else in traffic.

You guys are all about the speed, but you are wrong. The TM3 has a little latency before AWD kicks in, so in freezing conditions just before entering a turn steer out of the road, release the throttle, tap the brakes (don't floor them) and flick the steering wheel to steer with the turn and floor the throttle.
You can just drift through all turns you see in the winter. It's amazing fun, and horrendous for everyone else in traffic.

I do this but only when there's snow/packed snow on the ground. same fun, less tire wear.

Reactions: Marius A

No, I think we are all talking about the great torque this car has.

I was in the left lane at a traffic light. Some lady in an SUV was behind me and decided she wanted to take the empty right lane. Totally fine. However, most people turn left at the next light about 1/4 mile ahead. I suspected she wanted to get around me and turn left.

light turns green, I hear her engine roar. Game on.

by the time I was at the speed limit she was bus lengths back. But she didn’t give up, she was probably going 70 when she caught and passed me (as I continued at the speed limit), then quickly cut across in front of me and got in the left turn lane.

so.. she “Won”, but I had a good laugh.

My favorite thing to do is catch a red light where I'm in the front, next to a sports car in the adjacent lane. Then launch when the light turns green and nail it all the way up to about 5 over the speed limit, then suddenly drive normally (Porsche, etc usually catches up quickly as they overcompensate and speed). This has started a few conversations with other drivers over time, usually pleasant.

I know I'm not a Model 3, but still applies I think.

I've done this in our X quite a few times. The first time was a strange feeling because I started to become worried that I was losing control, then I let up off the accelerator and the car just re-plants itself and continues on normally. After that, I knew that I really had a lot of leeway to drift for fun in the snow. Of course, I don't do it with other cars around because that's just a big variable I cannot account for if they start panicking and then lose control.

someone passes me on a 2-lane local road going way too fast. Light is red up ahead and they're forced to come to a complete stop. I cruise casually and by the time I'm nearing the light, I see it's about to turn green. I keep creeping, light turns green, and I paste myself to the seat and fly by the other guy so fast his track start makes no difference.

I ease up at speed limit, and they fly by. They win.