Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The NEW UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who decides on the UI changes deployed? Is it some 12 year old who likes to change things just because?

1.The larger font for current speed is nice; although unnecessary (in my view), but anyone who needs that large font may want to consider an Uber/Lyft/Revel/ or some other means of transport.Usually, any font larger than the previous UI version's font, is indicative that the driver would not be able to read road signs.
2. The fuel (battery consumption adjacent to speed indicator was necessary, I use it very often to monitor my fuel consumption (like RPM monitor on I.C.E.).
3. Quick access to view/change recent media has been moved to he main screen section; quite annoying when using the Map/GPS. I have to take quite a bit of time (about and additional 1.5 - 2 seconds to change stations). When one is driving at 45mph, that is quite a bit of time during morning commute in the city driving.

The new UI is just not driver friendly.

The fuel (battery consumption adjacent to speed indicator was necessary, I use it very often to monitor my fuel consumption (like RPM monitor on I.C.E.).

Do you actually get any useful info from this?

I’m struggling to see the value here, given how low precision a unitless bar is. The only situation I care about consumption is road tripping and cutting it close to a charger and I can’t look at the power meter and think “gotta keep it below 20% or not going to make it”

Reactions: HelloJP
2. The fuel (battery consumption adjacent to speed indicator was necessary, I use it very often to monitor my fuel consumption (like RPM monitor on I.C.E.).
They just moved it to the left edge of the screen, so it is still available, you just have to change where you look for it. (Assuming you are talking about the power bar, that showed current power, or regen, status.)

Reactions: drtimhill
1.The larger font for current speed is nice; although unnecessary (in my view), but anyone who needs that large font may want to consider an Uber/Lyft/Revel/ or some other means of transport.Usually, any font larger than the previous UI version's font, is indicative that the driver would not be able to read road signs.
Nonsense. About 40% of the population is nearsighted. Nearsighted people wear corrective lenses while driving which bring road signs into focus causing things nearby, like the screen, to be out of focus. Likewise, farsighted people need glasses to see things close up clearly but they obviously don't wear them while driving.

Requiring that people be able to clearly see road signs and the Tesla screen at the same time in order to drive is unnecessarily restrictive. It would cut the number of legal drivers almost in half. Increasing the font size of some elements on the screen is a more practical solution.

Who decides on the UI changes deployed? Is it some 12 year old who likes to change things just because?

3. Quick access to view/change recent media has been moved to he main screen section; quite annoying when using the Map/GPS. I have to take quite a bit of time (about and additional 1.5 - 2 seconds to change stations). When one is driving at 45mph, that is quite a bit of time during morning commute in the city driving.

The new UI is just not driver friendly.
That 12 year-old is Elon.

They just moved it to the left edge of the screen, so it is still available, you just have to change where you look for it. (Assuming you are talking about the power bar, that showed current power, or regen, status.)

Unfortunately they made it 1 pixel wide and on the very edge (basically unusable for me because of how thin it is). It's also missing an indicator as to where max regen is.

Reactions: BitJam
If I could go back I would. Almost none of the changes were positive and just change for the sake of saying they changed it. The only positive change was making the now playing music card show more of the text but everything else changed I could do without.

The full screen car when parked is not necessary at all and adds zero utility, but makes the screen less usable and requires more taps.

I find the changes (the ones for Intel-based screens like mine) helpful and delightful.

The larger speedometer and song title are quicker to read in a moving vehicle.

While parked, the frunk & trunk buttons now read "Open Frunk/Trunk" instead of "Frunk Open" and "Trunk Open". This won't confuse new and occasional drivers like my spouse on a road trip and rental drivers.

The only backsliding I noticed is the ••• symbol (which indicates that the audio mini-player can be swiped horizontally) is hidden except when swiping.

A change yet to happen: When a song title is too long for on one line, use two or three lines. There's room. The current scrolling workaround would take your eyes off the road for way too long.

You clearly were not around for the V11 UI release, which made the font slightly smaller amid HOWLS of anguish from some people on these forums.

Every PM has to pee on the UI just to leave their mark on it and justify their jobs.

Then they get to add it to their list and try to get a promotion or at least a good bonus.

(On our 21 model Y the vertical regen bar is pretty fat, easy to see, just sayin)

• Funny
Reactions: brianbcc
I am in utter disbelief. I do not understand why they decided to take a huge *sugar* on the UI. It looks so ugly. The font changes are horribly inconsistent and don’t match the feel of the rest of the UI at all. One of my most hated aspects is the navigation ETA in the bottom left. I mean, everything about it is just so insanely ugly. The cluster in the top right with min/mi remaining looks so out of place, and the spacing between each is bizarre. Then, the battery indicator below is up way too far, and with that huge space right above the battery icon… I just don’t get it.

The speedometer? Godawful. They could've just added this appearance as an option in settings, but no.

Then there’s so many things that just weren’t modified in various settings pages that now clash with the rest of the UI. There’s just no cohesion. Feels like there is no consistency in any regard. Absolutely ruined what was a well polished interface that was actually enjoyable to use. Wish I could downgrade - my car feels like a piece of garbage now that the primary method of interacting with it has been so fundamentally altered.

Unfortunately they made it 1 pixel wide and on the very edge (basically unusable for me because of how thin it is). It's also missing an indicator as to where max regen is.
Really? Is it that small? It looks fairly wide in 2024.15.5:

20240607_212302.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: ToTheStars