Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The number of used Tesla 3/Y available is staggering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still seeing used ones sell for more than new ones in NY and PA.
The lowest I've seen here in MD for a 2022 LR Y, with less than 1K miles, is $63.5K; the cheapest LRY one could order today is $67.4K. There's maybe a a half dozen or so local used low-mileage 2022s in that sub-new price (some have as low as 45 miles.) There are still alot of inflated ones too though.

What's even more interesting, is how long they are sitting. That currently $63.5K option has been on the market for more than 120 days and is being lowered thousand(s) or so every week. If you click the others, you'll see similar sitting times and price adjustment histories.

Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 6.07.46 PM.png

I'm curious if the fed rate hike is going to accelerate these price decreases. Also curious to see what these ultimately sell at.

It will be interesting to see how high car loans will get. DCU is at 4.5% for new or used. The expected rate hike will likely be 50 or 75 basis points in early November.

Those cars also won't be as attractive if there actually is a $7,500 credit in 2023. The MYLR and MYP should both qualify.

Reactions: randmness
Are you going to tell us what site this is? I have not seen prices like this where I live..
It's Cars.com. Link to 2022 Ys with less than 1K miles for under $70K. If you click the listing, it will also show the price history and how long the cars have been on the market. I think generally, dealers will only hold onto cars for 60-90 before sending them to auction. Those $59K Ys have been sitting for 5+ months, so I wonder if they're having trouble selling these at auction.

Last edited:
If looking to pick up a M3 for a good price as used prices dip, what are the better sites people are using to watch and track as they seem to be tumbling quickly?

Are there better sites for regions like the PNW if hoping to find local and have a thorough look before committing?

We have a March '22 YLR reservation that's roughly $60K; not due til December. If these continue to drop thousands every week, we may just grab one of these practically new/used 2022. The lowest mileage I've seen so far for a 2022 is 15 miles. People were basically picking these up and driving them straight to the dealer to sell.
I think they list every new delivery as 15 miles on the odometer paperwork. When we picked up our 2021 LRY it only had 2 miles (paperwork still showed 15).

Last edited:
You will never know what the previous owner may have done with the vehicle. Sometimes the damage or alteration cannot be determined until after purchase. If you buy from a major used vehicle network you usually have a few days to change your mind and return the vehicle. (Tesla does not offer this option when the vehicle is sold.)

One upside to getting a used model from a dealer is that you could at least test drive and check it over without any money down. I’m not sure if Tesla allows this.

I’m terms of picking one of these slightly used-sub 1K mile 2022s (over a new 2023), the only thing notable I can think of are the new Y door panels and maybe some suspension differences. You wouldn’t get the latest model year too. Might have to buy your own mobile connector kit too.

One upside to getting a used model from a dealer is that you could at least test drive and check it over without any money down. I’m not sure if Tesla allows this.

I’m terms of picking one of these slightly used-sub 1K mile 2022s (over a new 2023), the only thing notable I can think of are the new Y door panels and maybe some suspension differences. You wouldn’t get the latest model year too. Might have to buy your own mobile connector kit too.
Recent Model Y LR also have matrix headlights for the time being. But not sure that’s worth thousands in savings if one can get them.

Some of the dealers may have purchased. I can't imagine their flooring lines would allow them to hold it for 120 days. If they take it to auction will most likely be no sale. At least around here market is saturated. Over 700 M3 and 300 MY within 50 miles of me now.

Prices may recover some if gas prices spike again.