Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Perfect Tesla Raffle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somebody just pointed out... what are you folks going to do with the funds?

Well... turns out the answer is right there on the website... as long as you don't mind drilling down just a "tad"...

That information is indeed on the climate-xchange.org/tesla-raffle website but it is located in the Legal Disclosures section, sub-section Disclosures Required by Massachusetts Attorney General Regulations 940 CMR 12.00, section (1)

(j) the exact nature of the charitable purpose for which the proceeds will be used;
Climate XChange Education and Research, Inc., focuses on education and advocacy for enacting carbon-pricing legislation in Massachusetts. The Raffle’s net proceeds will be used for 501(c)(3)-compliant activities in support of this mission.

One could argue that this information is not obvious to the casual reader of the website. :-(

Maybe we need something more prominent?

Umm... well.... since this happens to be on my mind, and I saw where a couple of nice TMCers just posted about buying tickets, I thought maybe I'd point out what we're using the proceeds for.

One example: the Regional Economic Models, Inc. (REMI) report that Jessica, my wife, President of Climate XChange, commissioned a couple of years ago, cost $30K. She took that report to the MA State House at the invitation of Senator Mike Barrett, introduced it (along with the economist who wrote it), and the large hearing room that I expected would feel emptyish when occupied by 20-30 people turned out to be crowded and humid with a packed, standing-room-only crowd plus massive overflow into the hallways... easily 150 people, maybe more. That report led to the MA Department of Energy Resources (DOER) commissioning its own REMI report. That DOER REMI report provided the foundation for Barrett's legislation in this area. And that legislation is working its way through the committee process today.

That's an example of the "education and advocacy" in action. Sadly, it ain't cheap.

Alan

Somebody just pointed out... what are you folks going to do with the funds?

Well... turns out the answer is right there on the website... as long as you don't mind drilling down just a "tad"...

That information is indeed on the climate-xchange.org/tesla-raffle website but it is located in the Legal Disclosures section, sub-section Disclosures Required by Massachusetts Attorney General Regulations 940 CMR 12.00, section (1)

(j) the exact nature of the charitable purpose for which the proceeds will be used;
Climate XChange Education and Research, Inc., focuses on education and advocacy for enacting carbon-pricing legislation in Massachusetts. The Raffle’s net proceeds will be used for 501(c)(3)-compliant activities in support of this mission.

One could argue that this information is not obvious to the casual reader of the website. :-(

Maybe we need something more prominent?

Umm... well.... since this happens to be on my mind, and I saw where a couple of nice TMCers just posted about buying tickets, I thought maybe I'd point out what we're using the proceeds for.

One example: the Regional Economic Models, Inc. (REMI) report that Jessica, my wife, President of Climate XChange, commissioned a couple of years ago, cost $30K. She took that report to the MA State House at the invitation of Senator Mike Barrett, introduced it (along with the economist who wrote it), and the large hearing room that I expected would feel emptyish when occupied by 20-30 people turned out to be crowded and humid with a packed, standing-room-only crowd plus massive overflow into the hallways... easily 150 people, maybe more. That report led to the MA Department of Energy Resources (DOER) commissioning its own REMI report. That DOER REMI report provided the foundation for Barrett's legislation in this area. And that legislation is working its way through the committee process today.

That's an example of the "education and advocacy" in action. Sadly, it ain't cheap.

Alan

MORE on this fantastic cause!!...

For folks curious about Revenue Neutral Fee and Dividend and how to get involved, the first step is information. The second step is signing up for periodic updates. The third step is spreading the word. This is very grassroots. Here are some great resources:

Dr. Hayhoe June Conference Keynote - YouTube

Carbon Fee and Dividend - Citizens Climate Lobby

Create an Account | CCL Community

This is non-partisan. There are actually a number of Republicans who support this. Bob Inglis is one of my personal favorites, he's a brilliant orator.

"We need to remove the ability to belch and burn for free, without cost, that's the one that causes market distortion..."

My college major was Economics, I really like the free market nature, and the idea of beginning to charge a fee on unpriced externalities caused by using the air and atmosphere as a free garbage dump.

This is a cool way to begin to recover and properly price damage to the commons created by polluting industries in a fair, gradual, and non-disruptive way.

Purchased a ticket even though I know my odds are near zero. Despite knowing that, I still can't help but imagine myself winning. Still, near zero much better than zero, which was my chance of winning prior to purchasing ;)
Yeah, that's my logic for buying lottery tickets every now and then. It's not a regular thing, but when the jackpot gets high enough...

I've never been one to participate in a raffle for more than a couple dollars, but for this one I jumped in. I looked at a couple others, but on those I'd be responsible for the tax burden up front. I know it's only a one in 2000 chance here, but I'm still hoping!

- - - Updated - - -

...otherwise, I've got almost a year before I can actually be in a Tesla.

Anyone else daily configure a Model S and/or X in hopes of winning this? I don't want to be the only one...

I've spent too much time configuring one in 2012 and 2013 so nothing much has changed except that my new configuration includes dual motors and 90 pack size. I would however like to be able to configure an X to see what it might look like, but the configurator is not available to the general public just yet. But it really does not matter since I'm 98% certain that I'd choose the S even if I could compare the two models. So don't spend too much time configuring since I'm going to win with my lucky ticket anyway. haha.

I'm in. These limited ticket raffles are a good fundraising deal, I remember seeing them in Europe many years back with exotic cars.

This would certainly make the X purchase a lot easier on the wallet.

edit: by my ticket numbers (yes I decided to double my chances) they need to sell a few more to hit the target to give away the Telsa. So keep buying everyone, please.

Last edited:
I am killing off the cash raffle component of the Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle

Folks,

Some among you have noticed that the Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle has a "cash raffle" component, which means that below a certain number of tickets sold, we offer ONLY cash for the six prizes, and the amount of cash is based on ticket sales. Above that number of tickets sold, and no matter how many tickets are sold total, we make the full prize set available -- Tesla with all the trimmings including taxes, electric bicycles, electric outdoor lawn care set, electric indoors robots, Tesla Experience (24 hours with a Tesla).

I have never, ever wanted to award cash prizes. I put the whole cash raffle thing in there because I used to be an engineer, I'm always thinking in terms of corner cases, I'm also thinking in terms of how Climate XChange's expenses and funds raised from the raffle, so I built in the cash raffle. In fact, if you look closely enough through the raffle website details, you'll see that I even found an anonymous donor to cover the really-low-ticket-sales case, in which case there wasn't even enough cash for interesting prizes. At that extremely low level, other raffles just refund the money. Or I suppose in some cases they keep the money and offer totally pathetic prizes.

Anyway, if I were making up an FAQ for the raffle, at or near the top of frequency of asking would be questions about the cash raffle. We've sold a ton of tickets and don't get ANY questions very often, but when you get down to the population of people who DO ask questions, the cash raffle is near the top. I suspect this population, by the way, is made up mostly of engineers like myself. I think most TMC members are simply too busy. The engineers are busy, too, but have more gaps in their time waiting for compiles to finish.

But IMHO the cash raffle sucks. No one enters a raffle like this because they want to participate in a cash raffle! I have never liked the cash raffle. It has always irritated me. I certainly don't want to award cash prizes. I want someone to win the car!

I'm so sick of the cash raffle that I've reached my limit. I say f*ck the cash raffle!! I have only myself to blame for putting it in. So I'm pulling the plug on it. DONE. OVER. No more cash raffle. Only the Tesla Grand Prize and the five other special prizes!!

I'll figure out the right language for the website over the next day or two(*).

Buy a ticket or not -- or two or four or whatever, we've had up to 8 at a time -- that's your call(***). But no one will be winning the cash raffle because the cash raffle is dead. You can only win the regular raffle with the described set of prizes(**).

Whew. I feel better now.

Alan

(*)In general, I think raffle news should come from the website so that everyone has similar access to the information involved. But I can't figure out any downside for a ticket purchaser from me saying this here. How would knowing that the cash raffle has been eliminated cause someone to *regret* purchasing a ticket?!

Also, it's OK for me to make this kind of change in the raffle after the raffle starts because it doesn't take away anything from an existing purchaser. It only makes it better or at the very least, the same.

(**)OK, OK, if a winner prefers, s/he can take the prize as cash rather than the car, bikes, etc. These values are all published in the raffle details (CXCs Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle | Climate XChange). But you'll notice that the Grand Prize has $110K value (car, doc & delivery fee, HPWC, electrician, money towards state vehicle taxes) PLUS CXC kicks in the extra $37K to for US withholding ($147K total outlay). The cash alternative for the Grand Prize is $100K, and if a winner picks that, which is fine, the withholding comes out of that prize, i.e., winner pays the withholding tax. IRS regs require 25% in that case, so winner will get a check for $75K. But that's the winner's choice. This information is all in the raffle rules on the website.

(***)But please do buy a ticket or two or ten! CXC needs the money for commissioning reports, education, advocacy, all kinds of expenses. Climate XChange currently operates on a shoestring. An old shoestring. An old shoestring that has been lovingly chewed by a puppy. Maybe two puppies.

IMG_0244 (1).jpg

Sometimes, lack of funds leads to considerable tension during board meetings. Consider this candid photograph from a recent finance committee meeting. I believe the pink-clad Board member had submitted a request for additional pencils.

IMG_0192.jpg

By the way... Here's a video of Senator Mike Barrett talking about S1747, "An Act Combating Climate Change", at the Climate XChange Carbon Pricing Awareness Event / Massive Tesla Party at our house on Sep 26.

In case anyone wonders, all the donations at the event went to Climate XChange. All event/party expenses were borne by individuals; no expenses were billed to Climate XChange or the raffle.

[video=vimeo;143724931]https://vimeo.com/143724931[/video]

Hmm. So much for the video tag. Let's try a direct link:

https://vimeo.com/143724931

Even though the embedded picture says that the video is private, if you click on it, it will play.

If you notice that Senator Barrett is holding an apple... Clark Brothers Orchards, in Ashfield, MA, donated a couple of bushels of apples for the event/party. And. They. Were. YUMMY!!!

Last edited:
Yup.

That was then.

This is now.

Cash raffle is dead.(*)

Doesn't matter how many tickets the raffle has currently sold or will ultimately sell. We're awarding the Tesla and the 5 other prizes. So no one has to worry any more about whether enough tickets have been sold, whether the minimum been met, whether CXC will be able to make the prizes available or will winners have to settle for the cash raffle. All financial issues have been taken care of (with a little help from an anonymous guarantor).

Cash raffle is dead.

Someone WILL WIN a Tesla Model S or X, of $103K base value, plus doc & delivery fee @ $1200, plus $5K towards state vehicle taxes, plus HPWC @ $750, plus electrician @ $500, total $110,450 value. And we will pay the IRS directly on the winner's behalf $36,813 in withholding tax on the Grand Prize. And the Grand Prize winner will be the first owner of the vehicle, thus eligible for the federal tax credit (up to $7500) and any applicate state rebates or credits. Someone WILL WIN THIS PRIZE. And per the raffle rules, we will expect to use the winner's likeness to publicize the win! And no fair using baby pictures, family pets, or children in place of the winner's picture! :) :)

Alan

(*)I hate the cash raffle. I hate the cash raffle. I hate the cash raffle.

Wasn't the cash raffle in place for the possibility that you sold less than the 867 required to include all prizes? What happens if only 850ish are sold?

Yup.

That was then.

This is now.

Cash raffle is dead.(*)

Doesn't matter how many tickets the raffle has currently sold or will ultimately sell. We're awarding the Tesla and the 5 other prizes. So no one has to worry any more about whether enough tickets have been sold, whether the minimum been met, whether CXC will be able to make the prizes available or will winners have to settle for the cash raffle. All financial issues have been taken care of (with a little help from an anonymous guarantor).

Cash raffle is dead.

Someone WILL WIN a Tesla Model S or X, of $103K base value, plus doc & delivery fee @ $1200, plus $5K towards state vehicle taxes, plus HPWC @ $750, plus electrician @ $500, total $110,450 value. And we will pay the IRS directly on the winner's behalf $36,813 in withholding tax on the Grand Prize. And the Grand Prize winner will be the first owner of the vehicle, thus eligible for the federal tax credit (up to $7500) and any applicate state rebates or credits. Someone WILL WIN THIS PRIZE. And per the raffle rules, we will expect to use the winner's likeness to publicize the win! And no fair using baby pictures, family pets, or children in place of the winner's picture! :) :)

Alan

(*)I hate the cash raffle. I hate the cash raffle. I hate the cash raffle.

Alan,

Running a raffle like this is a PIA. You have done a marvelous job. Have a glass of wine and remind yourself that you have done a GREAT job. Thanks AlMC