Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Perfect Tesla Raffle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I meant to do just that and have just plain been overwhelmed. Heck, I even meant to start the thread here on TMC only to find s'ktoon already had done it!

What other EV forums do you recommend? I'm afraid I'm not as familiar with them as I should be.

Thanks!

Bingo! You are a winner! Thanks. And, "Urs" is the user name of the person who started that thread, without whom, we might have missed the raffle. Alan, you should start a thread in every other EV forum. Those of us who love EVs and with non-Tesla budgets are good prospects.

For folks curious about Revenue Neutral Fee and Dividend and how to get involved, the first step is information. The second step is signing up for periodic updates. The third step is spreading the word. This is very grassroots. Here are some great resources:

Dr. Hayhoe June Conference Keynote - YouTube

Carbon Fee and Dividend - Citizens Climate Lobby

Create an Account | CCL Community

This is non-partisan. There are actually a number of Republicans who support this. Bob Inglis is one of my personal favorites, he's a brilliant orator.

We need to remove the ability to belch and burn for free, without cost, that's the one that causes market distortion...

My college major was Economics, I really like the free market nature, and the idea of beginning to charge a fee on unpriced externalities caused by using the air and atmosphere as a free garbage dump.

This is a cool way to begin to recover and properly price damage to the commons created by polluting industries in a fair, gradual, and non-disruptive way.

ELON came out in Paris for Revenue Neutral Carbon Tax!!!

- talks pricing externalities Elon Musk talks Climate Change and Carbon Tax at the Sorbone (12.2.15) - YouTube (people should pay for their cost of garbage - not dump for free)
- carbon tax Elon Musk talks Climate Change and Carbon Tax at the Sorbone (12.2.15) - YouTube
- revenue neutral Elon Musk talks Climate Change and Carbon Tax at the Sorbone (12.2.15) - YouTube

This guy is killing himself to save humanity.

What other EV forums do you recommend? I'm afraid I'm not as familiar with them as I should be.

Well, My Electric Car Forums | Electric Vehicle Forums and News has quite a few in the drop down menu, but I'd say that the Volt, and i3 forums would be your best bets as they'd have more members. They might have more official forums too, I'm afraid I've never gone looking for them. But I'll try and start a few threads for you if there isn't one already. Just have to sign up for new forums. Besides Insideevs, there's Green Car Congress, Plug In America, and Transport Evolved, and many more, any car enthusiast site might run it. Have you done a general press release? Maybe someone here on TMC has PR expertise?

Yes, that was very exciting!!!

Oh... I've tried tweeting directly to Elon re coming to our Sep 26 launch event and raffle. I guess I don't really expect Elon to be touting a raffle! :) But if I could figure out how to reach him, my wish list would be:

1. Attention on carbon pricing. Oh, boy, has he done that!
2. Attention on Senate Bill 1747, right here in MA, implementing carbon-fee-and-rebate! Exactly what we should be doing!
Bill S.1747

3. Attention for Climate XChange. Well, a person can hope, right?
4. Attention for the raffle.
climate-xchange.org/tesla-raffle
5. Donate the Grand Prize. At least the vehicle. Boy, would that be great! I am told Tesla itself, as a company, doesn't do this sort of thing because Tesla doesn't want to get publicly connected with particular special interest causes. The business dude in me can totally sympathize. (Tesla marketing person told me this.) But I doubt that Tesla marketing decides what Elon decides personally to do with his advocacy and/or money.

Oh and also: thanks, @Sdunnin and @Btrflyl8e!!

ELON came out in Paris for Revenue Neutral Carbon Tax!!!

- talks pricing externalities Elon Musk talks Climate Change and Carbon Tax at the Sorbone (12.2.15) - YouTube (people should pay for their cost of garbage - not dump for free)
- carbon tax Elon Musk talks Climate Change and Carbon Tax at the Sorbone (12.2.15) - YouTube
- revenue neutral Elon Musk talks Climate Change and Carbon Tax at the Sorbone (12.2.15) - YouTube

This guy is killing himself to save humanity.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, thanks, I've written all that down on my list. I *think* someone at CXC did a press release, and I suppose a smarter person than me might have latched onto that press release and figured out a way to spread it more widely. I'll go check again.

Well, My Electric Car Forums | Electric Vehicle Forums and News has quite a few in the drop down menu, but I'd say that the Volt, and i3 forums would be your best bets as they'd have more members. They might have more official forums too, I'm afraid I've never gone looking for them. But I'll try and start a few threads for you if there isn't one already. Just have to sign up for new forums. Besides Insideevs, there's Green Car Congress, Plug In America, and Transport Evolved, and many more, any car enthusiast site might run it. Have you done a general press release? Maybe someone here on TMC has PR expertise?

Last edited:
THANKS, @DNAinaGoodWay!

BTW, I'm not just planning to wait... I'm also working on direct mail shots (MA only, really get some people to recognize Climate XChange locally and SB 1747), packages on Teslarati and Important Media (cleantechnica.com and related properties), FB groups (I've posted in one Tesla group but there are several others), direct email to people I know, etc. I just want you to know that I'm working hard! And also that I'm incredibly grateful for the help I'm getting from you, @LeftieBiker, and also many other folks on TMC and other forums and media sites and whatnot who have been generous with their time and advice. Every time I feel overwhelmed, it seems like someone pops up to help or show me how to do better.

It has actually been wonderful!

Thanks again,
Alan

P.S. And thanks for your support, @dabbler!

You still have 3 weeks left. Hang in there. Can't help you with Elon. I put it on the the GM Volt forum, and LeftieBiker from MNL did a couple forums too, PriusChat probably, lot of folks there. I'm betting it snowballs and you sell the full 2000.

I saw your tweet and nearly fell out of my chair!

Thanks!!!!

Also, all advice welcome... I just spent over an hour with @aaron who attempted to learn me some ABCs re tweeting. Busy putting those lessons into practice. Suddenly, I am tweeting about Elon Musk's recent speech in Paris re climate change and carbon pricing...!

I sent out a tweet about it, asked Leilani if she could retweet to help out. We'll get these tickets sold :).

Thank you for supporting Climate XChange and the Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle!

Good idea on the raffle to raise awareness. When the carbon tax was first debated and brought into force in BC many were against it. It was also brought in by a Liberal government (this may sound odd, but in BC the Liberal government is the right/conservative party and the NDP (New Democratic Party) is the left/liberal party). So it was brought in by the right leaning party -- which in itself is unusual. I don't think the left leaning party could have brought it in because of their ties to unions/labour groups who generally oppose environmental legislation at the expense of jobs -- not that this policy had that effect.

I note that your webpage uses our policy to answer the question:

Are there successful models of climate fees in action:

Yes. Countries and localities around the world use carbon pricing to cut pollution and improve local economies. Most experts consider British Columbia’s policy a stellar example of an effective economy-wide carbon pricing policy. In 2008, the province became the first place in North America to adopt a carbon fee and rebate system. Read more about it here.

This is what it will take in jurisdictions all over the world to see real change. It was a bold move by our Provincial government, and extremely unpopular (to say the least, especially in rural towns) but it takes bold moves by governments to make real changes. Electoral pandering doesn't bring about real change. I note that in Australia Prime Minister John Howard sacrificed his career to bring in gun control, opposed by about the same percentage as you'd see in America, but few in Australia are arguing with the results many years later:

Australia's gun-control solution - Business Insider

How many politicians would sacrifice their career for the good of the people? Practically none, if you ask me.

We were told the Liberal government would lose the last election over such things as the carbon tax and the HST (harmonized sales tax). The polls had them losing severely to the NDP. However, the polls were wrong and to everyone's surprise they won:

Why were polls so wrong about the B.C. election? - British Columbia - CBC News

Nevertheless, it will not be an easy task to bring this tax into force in other jurisdictions. It will take a government willing to sacrifice itself to do so, and that's extremely rare these days.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best on your mission.