Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Perfect Tesla Raffle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love these ideas...! I really wish I could win this thing.

I think I would double down and get a Model X 75D with 6 seats and keep it fairly simple ($95k or so). Then would then add a Model 3 in the $40k range as an extra vehicle or loaner for friends.

I'm a little slow. (been a while since I've been to a brunch :) )
You mean I can get a modest S75 for $75K and take ANOTHER $45K in cash?
That just ......... Ludicrous!

Reactions: Pollux and boofagle
I'm curious: I thought I'd see more chatter about the 2nd & 3rd prizes, with the early 3 reservation, the $1K deposit included, the $10K (2nd) or $5K (3rd) cash, plus the federal income tax payment. And because early, much greater likelihood (if not certainty) of the $7,500 fed tax credit still being on the table. I was thinking, whoa, we're making it beyond easy to get a Model 3, and soonish, to boot.

Not that interesting after all? People more interested in the alternative cash prizes?

I'm curious: I thought I'd see more chatter about the 2nd & 3rd prizes, with the early 3 reservation, the $1K deposit included, the $10K (2nd) or $5K (3rd) cash, plus the federal income tax payment.

@Pollux I love the top 3 prize levels, and think your cause is great which is why I have bought some tickets.

As far as the grand prize and cashing out, what if one really didn't want an S or X but instead wanted to wait until a Model 3 was available and wanted to max it out and then cash out the rest? Would that be doable? (The problem I see what that is the PxxD version of the Model 3 is likely almost year away from when you have the drawing.)

Yup, buy that 75D and take out the remainder as cash. We still pay the fed inc tax on the whole $120K!

Would this still be the case if the winner decided to buy a Model 3 (or two)?

I'm curious: I thought I'd see more chatter about the 2nd & 3rd prizes, with the early 3 reservation, the $1K deposit included, the $10K (2nd) or $5K (3rd) cash, plus the federal income tax payment. And because early, much greater likelihood (if not certainty) of the $7,500 fed tax credit still being on the table. I was thinking, whoa, we're making it beyond easy to get a Model 3, and soonish, to boot.

Not that interesting after all? People more interested in the alternative cash prizes?

I think many of us on the forums either already own a Model S/X or already have an early reservation. When the raffle hits news sites and reaches a larger audience, I think you'll see more of a response. I also think the 2nd and 3rd prizes are overshadowed by the grand prize. I for one would be pretty happy winning any of the top prizes.

Also, how are you handling transfer of the reservation? Tesla has previously stated they won't transfer reservations. Did you get an exception from them?

Reactions: ModelX
@Pollux I love the top 3 prize levels, and think your cause is great which is why I have bought some tickets.

As far as the grand prize and cashing out, what if one really didn't want an S or X but instead wanted to wait until a Model 3 was available and wanted to max it out and then cash out the rest? Would that be doable? (The problem I see what that is the PxxD version of the Model 3 is likely almost year away from when you have the drawing.)

Hi, @MP3Mike,

We thought about the possibility you outline and regretfully passed on it. We want to get the whole prize award thing completed in 2017. There's too much room for things to drag on if we start waiting on Model 3. Even for 2nd and 3rd prize, where we've built in Model 3, we can just basically hand over all of the prize to the winner soon after the drawing completes -- cash, reservation, deposit. And pay the fed tax payment. So we can be certain that 2nd and 3rd prize won't drag into 2018. Because the 2nd/3rd reservations are "early", it is likely that they will be delivered along with other reservations of that same time-frame, per Tesla's own geo-aware rollout. We, of course, can't guarantee that. But it's a reasonable projection. So if -- IF -- Tesla starts delivering Model 3s in late summer / fall 2017, and starts first in California and rolls Eastward, then it's reasonable to conjecture that a 2nd or 3rd Prize winner will be invited to configure their Model 3 around the same time as all the other folks who got in the reservation queue early. If the Winner/reservation-holder then decides to wait for a feature that's not yet available, then that's strictly within the Winner's control and s/he can do that (e.g., the PxxD version). What the priority will be for that reservation isn't clear to me; that would be between the Winner/reservation-holder and Tesla. I hope that makes sense.

But we have no Model 3 reservation lying around to associate with the Grand Prize. So to make the Grand Prize simple and straightforward, it's all about the S and the X. So... sorry... Grand Prize Winner will be forced to "settle" for an S or X. :)

Alan

Would this still be the case if the winner decided to buy a Model 3 (or two)?

Hi, @geoffreak, please see above for our rationale why we've limited the Grand Prize to S or X.

I think many of us on the forums either already own a Model S/X or already have an early reservation.

I was thinking that a lot of people -- maybe on the forum, maybe not -- might have reservations, but not early. In the second 200,00 rather than in the (roughly guesstimated) first 75,000. I pictured those people thinking, oho! i could get me into that car a year earlier than I imagined, and when I did, I might find myself with a nice little $7,500 fed tax credit waiting for me. :)

When the raffle hits news sites and reaches a larger audience, I think you'll see more of a response. I also think the 2nd and 3rd prizes are overshadowed by the grand prize. I for one would be pretty happy winning any of the top prizes.

And I appreciate you saying so! I confess it's exactly what *I* feel.

Also, how are you handling transfer of the reservation? Tesla has previously stated they won't transfer reservations. Did you get an exception from them?

For what it's worth, we've done our homework and we can deliver what we've promised. And I'll take this opportunity to thank, once again, the two anonymous reservation donors who have made this possible.

Thanks,
Alan

Got my ticket this evening...#99. They seem to be selling well!

I'm not sure what I'd opt for...l love my x90D, with free supercharging and white ventilated seats. The ONLY option I'd change if doing it over would be 6 seat instead of 7. And now that there is a 100D, of course the bigger battery. Not sure about the EAP and FSD - still kind of skeptical on how it all plays out. But if I were to win, I'm not sure if I'd really want to trade up. Though I have been working on my Dad...winning would be complicated, and I'd love every minute of it!

The 2nd and 3rd prizes are awesome. They'll really put a dent in the total cost of a model 3 plus all but guarantee the tax credit. Hopefully Tesla stays on track so the final reveal of model 3 will line up almost perfectly to the end of the raffle.

I think it's a real game changer when you compare it to other raffles. 1st time you did the raffle you changed the game by including fed taxes, now you did it again by allowing the winners to skip much of the line on what's arguably the most anticipated car in years.

Also, I like day dreaming and since there's currently only a config tool for model S/X its easier to imagine what I'd be driving around in!

Reactions: Pollux
Hi, @Dansblum, @boofagle... thank you for the kind words!

Tix *are* selling OK!

Official Launch for the Raffle is actually this coming Saturday, 12-4 pm, Aeronaut Brewing, Somerville, MA. Free beer for people coming to the Launch. Also, if you bring kids -- presumably, yours! :) -- we can take them next door to Brooklyn Boulders for climbing fun. There will be food available. We're gonna park all the Teslas on an adjacent garage rooftop & take some pix.

IMPORTANT: please RSVP to me! PM will do it.
DOUBLY IMPORTANT: please RSVP to me with any kid headcount!
Also IMPORTANT: I suggest showing up on the early side, as I'm told that capacity is ~150 and that they are typically full before 2 pm, which then means waiting in line. :-(

Thanks,
Alan