Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Pickup Truck That Can Carry a Pickup Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not only doable but...
In the UAE, parts of other countries like the US and Canada people already buy tricked out F350’s and the like. A giant-sized pickup with astounding range and the four independent driving wheels with torque update just like Model S, thousands of times per minute...

That could easily sell a few thousand with minimal incremental R&D. I am confident this will happen. It will sell more than Roadster.

Crazy, yes. Maybe a decade living in The Gulf has warped my mind.:rolleyes: Anyway, it will happen!

the front wheels don't have a motor in that config unless they move the motors from the removed 2nd/3rd axle and put them on the first axle.

FAE35A66-911C-40A5-8354-FC16E1C70452.jpeg
Oh!

That pickup truck!!

You mean ......This pickup truck....

Yea buddy! This thing is a beast!

Given how Americans have bought pick up trucks for even non-business use, I don't see the mini-semi look working for these people. Sure wouldn't want to see myself parked between 2 of these guys on either side of me. It would be like parking in the semi trailer parking lot. The front is monsterous and blocks any view to either side of a parked car.

For the semi I think the look is cool but this view looks like the back of a pickup was cut off and attached to the semi. Hopefully this was a prank they threw out there to get people talking and on reveal day it will be something way better and cooler. Not unlike the surprise that came out of the Semi's trailer.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SFPD and jbcarioca
That which was unknown and unattainable is now known and soooooon to be attainable.

Open country pick-a-me-up truck owners and those who haul and work big jobs will use this beast.

We all remember when folks said electric vehicles won’t happen, then Model S was a joke and wouldn’t happen.... same with the X.... and 3..... and Semi.... and Giga... , and > 90kWh Superchargers and ten, then 12, then 16, then 20 then 40, then 50 pedestal supercharging charging stations, and solar canopies, and..... and so it goes.

don’t think it won’t happen. The impossible is now possible.

Think of it as an iPhone XX.

The future belongs to those who capture it and make it so. It’s the MAKING IT SO part that may be difficult, but then it’s here

Bring it on!

That which was unknown and unattainable is now known and soooooon to be attainable.

Open country pick-a-me-up truck owners and those who haul and work big jobs will use this beast.

The future belongs to those who capture it and make it so. It’s the MAKING IT SO part that may be difficult, but then it’s here

Bring it on!
Remember when Stanford Research Institute told HP in the late 1960’s that there would be no market for handheld calculators because slide rules were faster and more capable besides which only engineers would care at all, so a tiny market.

That happened! There are endless examples.

I’m convinced there is a market for this ridiculous ‘pickup’, then the Model Y and practical pickup will have truly massive markets...and so on.

The only constraint is Tesla’s ability to produce and scale. Tesla product innovation is one world marvel, no hyperbole.

Execution, execution!!

Remember when Stanford Research Institute told HP in the late 1960’s that there would be no market for handheld calculators because slide rules were faster and more capable besides which only engineers would care at all, so a tiny market.

That happened! There are endless examples.

I’m convinced there is a market for this ridiculous ‘pickup’, then the Model Y and practical pickup will have truly massive markets...and so on.

The only constraint is Tesla’s ability to produce and scale. Tesla product innovation is one world marvel, no hyperbole.

Execution, execution!!
If anyone rolls coal on you, you just roll the **** over their coal roller. The perfect revenge.

I noticed it during the reveal as well, and as with at least some others, its brief presence also occurred just as the download failed. My takeaway:

• It seems to be comparable in size to the Ford F-650/750, Freightliner FL80 or GM C6500/7500 Topkick series. Thus, squeaking under* what necessitates in the US a CDL, but....
  • ...not what most first think of when they hear the term "pickup".
  • Firstbeforeanythingelse suggestion for those who even vaguely consider an interest: go to your insurance company and ask them for a quote for an F-650. Best to be seated when making the call.
  • Could I use it in Alaska? Sure - obviously it would have the hauling and cargo capacity for diminishing my number of freight runs to/from Anchorage or Fairbanks; it would negotiate my Denali Highway or the state's other 2nd-tier (read: youvegottabekiddingme- tier in other states) with aplomb; it undeniably would have the wherewithal to carry a fine camper.
  • Would I drive it around town? That's what the new Roadster is for, I thought :)
Gotta go -

Reactions: MP3Mike
In the U.S., a CDL is needed for commercial use above class 6. Air brakes are usually an additional license classification, IIRC.

There are farm exceptions for vehicle types and weights in many states.

I have a class 7 truck with air brakes. Before I turned it into a camper I had to get a CDL to get it insured. Making it a camper and getting RV plates I made a vehicle that can be legally driven with a regular class D license.

The "pickup" Musk showed would probably need a class A CDL with the air brake extension. Farm use may be an exception. I'm still assuming this Tesla pickup was mostly a joke.

The driving part of getting a CDL is fairly difficult without taking classes.

• Informative
Reactions: SFPD
In the U.S., a CDL is needed for commercial use above class 6. Air brakes are usually an additional license classification, IIRC.

I have a class 7 truck with air brakes. Before I turned it into a camper I had to get a CDL to get it insured
. Making it a camper and getting RV plates I made a vehicle that can be legally driven with a regular class D license.

The "pickup" Musk showed would probably need a class A CDL with the air brake extension. Farm use may be an exception. I'm still assuming this Tesla pickup was mostly a joke.

Yes - that was why I had asterisked my "squeaking under"....and then I forgot to provide the exceptions you noted. Thanks.

By the way: very nice-looking Unimog you have. We see some 2-3 dozen each summer plying the Denali Hwy, many of them ostensibly en route between Prudhoe Bay and Tierra del Fuego, and then on further round-world expeditions. Most of them have Swiss plates; less so German, US, Australian, UK and a very few Canadian, Dutch etc. They look extremely capable and really, really, uncomfortable for highway driving.

And....COMPLETELY off topic: this is (was) my "Go USA - down with Canada & UK!" post #. 10 Teslapoints for the...well, you know the drill.

Just like the NextGen Roadster is to all supercars, this truck is the perfect vehicle to smack down all gigantic "diesel power" coal rollers and serve as the Halo for that entire segment - as ridiculous as it is. Where I live, jacked up diesel pickups are all the rage for the local, young dudes. They just all assume that "diesel power" rules on all aspects. They have no idea what electrics can do as they don't know anything about supercars. They would identify a Unimog currently as the coolest of the cool. Upon reflection, Tesla's Pickup Truck render is exactly what is needed to smack this down - not some weird, Model S / El Camino looking thing that people have been drawing for the last year. Sure, Tesla's render looks like it's totally from Idiocracy, but that's the point. That's the target market. Elon hit it right on the head when he said "It's kind of wrong..." and made a funny face. It is wrong. Kinda like 0-60 in 1.9 seconds is wrong. It's ridiculous, ludicrous and plaid. But that's what the people want..... And I can't wait for them to get it.

I have a class 7 truck with air brakes. Before I turned it into a camper I had to get a CDL to get it insured. Making it a camper and getting RV plates I made a vehicle that can be legally driven with a regular class D license.

There's no special license required if it weighs less than 26k lbs:

Class A CDL
A Class A commercial driver's license is required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, to include a towed vehicle that is HEAVIER than 10,000 lbs.

While your towing allowances will depend on which endorsements you obtain, a few of the vehicles you MAY be able to drive with a Class A CDL (with proper endorsements) include:

• Tractor-trailers.
  • Truck and trailer combinations.
    • Double and triple trailers.
  • Tractor-trailer buses.
  • Tanker vehicles.
  • Livestock carriers.
  • Flatbeds.

I don't think it was a joke. Was it my imagination, or when they quickly popped up that concept pick-up truck rendering, didn't Elon say something like "and you don't need a commercial license to drive this thing.. yes, it's wrong" (paraphrasing). He wasn't talking about the semi. I think he was telegraphing that yes, this is a real thing that will happen, just as mentioned above, a final smack-down to all ICE pickup trucks like the Next Gen Roadster is.

Reactions: NN99
But I think Tesla is giving the smaller Semi a GCWR rating of less than 26k lbs, and using a battery pack that's only 30% as big (300 kWh) as the full-size Semi.

There is no smaller semi AFAIK. The grey truck just had different aero addons. A dual drive axle semi is always going to be 80,000 GCWR. A class 7 semi would have one drive axle. You would not be able to carry anything in a 26k rated semi because all the weight rating would be taken up by truck and trailer.

The gray semi shown probably weighs 20,000 lbs without the trailer.