Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Pickup Truck That Can Carry a Pickup Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it was a joke. Was it my imagination, or when they quickly popped up that concept pick-up truck rendering, didn't Elon say something like "and you don't need a commercial license to drive this thing.. yes, it's wrong" (paraphrasing). He wasn't talking about the semi. I think he was telegraphing that yes, this is a real thing that will happen, just as mentioned above, a final smack-down to all ICE pickup trucks like the Next Gen Roadster is.

The Tesla pickup shown would be a bit short of eight feet wide. It would be a medium duty truck that could not fit in a home garage. It has one seat (note the cab is shortened).
Who is the target market for a giant one seater $150K+ pickup?

I think it was a teasing exaggeration of what is possible and coming soon.
My take on it too. An exaggeration along the lines of how other renders have looked compared to the ultimate production vehicle. I do wonder about the desire for the Mclaren F1 seating config in a truck like this though. I'm reminded of the Cake song "Stickshifts and Safetybelts":

Stickshifts and safetybelts
Bucket seats have all got to go
When we're driving in the car
It makes my baby seem so far
I need you here with me
Not way over in a bucket seat
I need you to be here with me
But when we're driving in my Malibu
It's easy to get right next to you
I say, "Baby, scoot over, please"
And then she's right there next to me
I need you here with me
Alright
Well a lot of good cars are Japanese
Yeah, but when we're driving far I need my baby
I need my baby next to me
Well, stickshifts and safetybelts
Bucket seats have all got to go
When we're driving in the car
It makes my baby seem so far
I need you here with me
Alright
Alright

Just saw this 2013 tweet from Elon while he was hopped up on drugs after surgery:

Elon Musk on Twitter

upload_2017-11-28_9-3-19.png

Pickup trucks today like the GMC Denali HD (which I own), Ford Super Duty Platinum and the Ram HD Limited come with a ton of luxury items and technology (stuff Tesla doesn’t have in their cars, ie AC seats) Let it be known if this pickup comes in a luxurious platform like the Denali, I’ll be reservation 001.

Disclaimer: Bed height would need to accommodate a gooseneck. If it sits 10 feet off the ground then it isn’t happening for me.

If this comes in the unimog type platform then I’m sure utilities will line up and that might be Tesla’s focus not me.

There is no smaller semi AFAIK. The grey truck just had different aero addons. A dual drive axle semi is always going to be 80,000 GCWR. A class 7 semi would have one drive axle. You would not be able to carry anything in a 26k rated semi because all the weight rating would be taken up by truck and trailer.

The gray semi shown probably weighs 20,000 lbs without the trailer.

Even Elon called the pick up a smaller version of the semi.

So no smaller semi (specifically semi)
But the pick up in effect is a smaller version of the semi.

As for the licensing as long as it doesn’t have air brakes and you are not using it commercially you don’t need any special DL.

If we are wishing... what I want it to be: essentially an EV version of my 200 series Land cruiser (LX570). Body on a double box frame, top level off road ability, towing capacity of at least 8000lbs (with at lest a 300 mile range doing so), 3 rows of seats, and bomb proof construction and reliability. When someone builds it I’ll replace my 200. But for now we’ll drive the Tesla around town and keep the LX for camping, fishing, biking, hiking, hunting, and all the other outdoor activities.