Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Pub - OT posts and discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got to ask what training method you used to get wife to mow?😂
I go round with the 6ft kubota on red then have to get out the 3ft on petrol for the narrower bits. Only ever do 1/2 the lawn at a time 'cos 2 hrs is enough...
I got in early. Over 40 years ago, I bought her a mower as a first wedding anniversary present and kept renewing it over the years!

• Funny
Reactions: Drew57
Moderator comment - this round started in PCN at supercharger Kings Lynn despite reasonable efforts

Thanks for the welcome Adopado.

This was my drug of choice until I sold it in 2017 -

P1050120-zpsrp4sw01p.jpg

...and currently putting a Speedster together in my garage -

IMG-20200621-170025245.jpg

I've also just bought a youngtimer classic, an R53 Cooper S, but I will probably end up with an EV eventually if I live long enough...

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic ... but the Lancia gave me a tummy wobble! It's like a beautified D24 ... but not quite ... is it a recreation? It looks almost too good to be real!
Well done Adopado, you really do know your cars. It was my homage to the Lancia D24 Spyder, as driven to victory by Alberto Ascari in the 1954 Mille Miglia, and something I built myself out of a rusty Triumph Vitesse using a fibreglass bodyshell from a chap called Gary Janes who still operates out of Poole - Introduction

I ran it for four years and loved every minute of my ownership. I do miss it, though, hence now building my own take on the Porsche 356 Speedster, only mine's going to be a stripped down racer styled to look like Wendler built it.

Here's a few more pics of my projects, which include the D24 my wife's MG Midget that I've restored, my Speedster and a Mk2 Spitfire that is going to become a GT6-Fire soon...

P1050161-zpsgjsrhd0y.jpg

IMG-20201218-083941039.jpg

IMG-20201218-121244934.jpg

IMG-20200621-164826669.jpg

S-l1600.jpg

Moderator comment - OT part of post moved from https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/5641341/

Whilst not specifically mentioned in the Terms of Service it is common forum etiquette to keep posts relevant within reason to the topic being discussed

And I'm afraid I'd better apologise to anyone who was offended by my off-topic posts discussing a few of my classic non-EV car projects like the 1953 Lancia D24 Spyder homage that I built, my wife's MG Midget that I restored and which is going to appear on TV soon (see below), the Mini Cooper S (R53) I've just bought and the Porsche 356 Wendler Speedster that I'm currently creating. I got a message today saying that those posts breached the forum rules so have been removed.

I have to admit that I did skip through the terms and conditions of using this site without reading the small print, so I do hope there isn't a £100 fine in the post. Hmm, why does that sound familiar...

Anyway, hopefully this post isn't too off topic if I show you Iris, my wife's MG Midget, getting filmed to be on the Telly -

IMG-20201218-103818522.jpg

IMG-20201218-121244934.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done Adopado, you really do know your cars. It was my homage to the Lancia D24 Spyder, as driven to victory by Alberto Ascari in the 1954 Mille Miglia, and something I built myself out of a rusty Triumph Vitesse using a fibreglass bodyshell from a chap called Gary Janes who still operates out of Poole - Introduction

I ran it for four years and loved every minute of my ownership. I do miss it, though, hence now building my own take on the Porsche 356 Speedster, only mine's going to be a stripped down racer styled to look like Wendler built it.

Here's a few more pics of my projects, which include the D24 my wife's MG Midget that I've restored, my Speedster and a Mk2 Spitfire that is going to become a GT6-Fire soon...

Looks like we've been bounced into the off-topic and chat thread ... quite appropriately! No fines will be issued!

I only know a tiny bit about classics of that era and must admit that I had to do a bit of delving to try and work out what the Lancia was. I've seen an AC Ace picture that had a front more like yours than most of the other Aces that I've seen. Was the fibreglass body shell produced specifically as a D24 "tribute" or was it intended for a different model? Anyway, it's very successful and to my eye those photos make the styling even more beautiful than the originals of the era.

My only direct classic connection is that I have a friend who has had an Austin Healey 3000 for a number of years so I've had a tiny amount of hands on "assisted fettling", and we did the LeJOG back in the 1990s. I used to have old Mini's and have a brother who had a Mini business, including developing A series 1380cc engines (started out as 1275s like in the Midget of course).

Off-topic as you can't get Model Y in the UK (yet), but noticed this new accessory from Taptes and I have questions

What's it for, sound deadening from the Frunk? So either you have something noisy in the frunk you want to quieten, or the rest of the car is disturbing something living in the frunk?

• Funny
Reactions: Medved_77
Off-topic as you can't get Model Y in the UK (yet), but noticed this new accessory from Taptes and I have questions

What's it for, sound deadening from the Frunk? So either you have something noisy in the frunk you want to quieten, or the rest of the car is disturbing something living in the frunk?
It muffles the screams from within… mooowaha ha…..

I got a fuzzy fibre liner more for esthetics. A couple of Hamish and Oscar bags provide a smidgen of noise damping.

On seven trips to Spain my outstanding nav complaint is a dogged insistence to route us via Paris/environs. Life experience trumps the AI. Never go anywhere via Paris (except maybe Paris - even then I opt for the free carpark at Frethun and take the train)

I used to live in Saint-Germain-des-Prés with a car (a Triumph Spitfire no less), so I know what that is like! Used to drive round the Arc de Triomphe just for fun...

It was a late 1500 with overdrive so the swing spring rear end was largely sorted. And yes, I ragged the poor old girl verywhere.
After I found a telephone pole sitting next to me in my GT6, I had enough left for a Mk 1 Spitfire. Later on, I had a shock when I recognised the same front uprights in my Elan... what goes around, comes around ;-) Still it wasn't a a big downer as discovering the rubber donuts came from a Hillman Imp ;-)

But I digress...

After I found a telephone pole sitting next to me in my GT6, I had enough left for a Mk 1 Spitfire. Later on, I had a shock when I recognised the same front uprights in my Elan... what goes around, comes around ;-) Still it wasn't a a big downer as discovering the rubber donuts came from a Hillman Imp ;-)

But I digress...

Yep, I had Triumph trunnions in my Elan Plus 2. But the doughnuts were the later, reinforced ones. Which were quickly replaced by CV jointed shafts! Now the Plus 2 is gone and I have an S1 Elise. [Sorry off topic!]

S1 Elise.
After many Esprits ending with a V8, I got an S1 Elise. So much fun.
What if ACBC could see us now?
He would make range anxiety a feature and his battery tech would be something very different.... loads of hydrogen?
Even better as an EV! ;) (Even more off topic!)
I followed your build. Would love to see the car sometime

Did you carry on improving and keeping the blog up to date?