Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Resource Angle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MP Materials came in with a nice beat

The entire mining sector is on fire lately. I posted upthread about my basket of five mining majors I recently bought, ones with exposure to battery minerals. These all have very nice dividends too.

E0DF3373-FCF9-4073-A619-F2A52E8600D2.jpeg

Maybe some of you saw this already, as the article is from October, but this is great to see:

Results showed identical cycle-life performance, discharge capacity and Coulombic efficiency between cathode materials made from metal-sulfates from virgin mined metals and those synthesized from recycled materials by Redwood. Furthermore, rate capability and area-specific impedance measurements even showed an advantage when using certain Redwood metal-sulfates.

Argonne concluded “pristine performance can readily be obtained” from Redwood’s recycled metal-sulfates and will have higher capacity and lower direct current internal resistance.

And then there is this:

Panasonic will source Redwood’s cathode material for battery cell production in Panasonic’s new Kansas plant, targeted to come online in 2025. This will be the first time cathode has been produced in North America at Gigafactory scale and used in U.S. battery cell manufacturing.

Company is working on copper leach streams to further extraction. Huge deal as the process could unlock millions of tons copper from minerals that are difficult to process and are dumped. It could actually crash copper markets a bit if bhp installls it and it works.

She said they are working with Redwood Materials.
ok, just watched it...great interview and can't wait to see them expand. I was just thinking - since their product has a modular design, how about partnering with The Metals Company? That way TMC can focus on just collecting the nodes and letting Nth Cycle process them?

I expect TMC will probably go up into a fair profit range after they start actually producing ore. I've noticed mining stocks tend to be very volatile.
I've done some reading on TMC. Sounds like an interesting and innovative idea, but given their revenues are still at zero it seems like it is a very risky bet at the moment. I hope they can move past the chasm between "idea" and "profitability"!

Reactions: JRP3
I've done some reading on TMC. Sounds like an interesting and innovative idea, but given their revenues are still at zero it seems like it is a very risky bet at the moment. I hope they can move past the chasm between "idea" and "profitability"!
Is this the same TMC that you folks are interested in ?

If so, do you appreciate what the environmental consequences are of deep seabed mining ? This is about the most fragile ecosystem on the panet.

Reactions: bkp_duke