Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Resource Angle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Potential issues with deep sea mining

Meh. Humans have ravaged the Earth for thousands of years, but woah, let's step back because it's ocean. We should at least try this option. Things are not moving fast enough for us to keep all our eggs in one basic by just using land. And it's not like humanity is going balls to the walls on transitioning to sustainable energy....if we did, I might not care about this solution.

Things are not moving fast enough for us to keep all our eggs in one basic by just using land. And it's not like humanity is going balls to the walls on transitioning to sustainable energy....if we did, I might not care about this solution.
Rather cavalier attitude for someone who presumably cares about the environment. Did you watch the video? It seems clear that since "it's not like humanity is going balls to the walls on transitioning to sustainable energy" there is not yet a need to bother with this invasive and damaging process if ever.

Reactions: hcsharp
Rather cavalier attitude for someone who presumably cares about the environment. Did you watch the video? It seems clear that since "it's not like humanity is going balls to the walls on transitioning to sustainable energy" there is not yet a need to bother with this invasive and damaging process if ever.
I watched it. We don't know how much more damaging this will be than all of the land used up for fossil fuels, so we won't know which is better until this is tried.

The idea is to move away from fossil fuels and the damage they cause, not trade it for another source of damage. Destroying the base of the marine food chain seems like a bad idea and saying we should just do it anyway and see what happens is exactly the type of attitude that has allowed us to destroy many land based ecosystems. The video mentioned how similar experiments have shown lasting damage to the sea floor even 30 years later.

Here we go!

Canadian junior E3 Lithium (TSX-V: ETL) has begun operations at its Direct Lithium Extraction (DLE) plant in Alberta, the province’s first facility focused on testing the alternative method for extracting lithium from brine projects.

Here we go!

Awesome. I’ve been following this company for a while and have a small position in them. They have steadily been doing everything they said they would do. Next step is publishing results from this pilot plant, then inking agreements with lithium buyers (Tesla is very much as possibility) so that they can then fund a full commercial plant. I expect inked offtake agreements in early 2024.

This is a very small cap, thinly traded stock, so take your time buying the stock if you do or else you alone will spike the stock price!

It's an interesting thing. Nouveau Monde Graphite (NMG), a tiny Quebec graphite mine startup which is looking for offtake agreements was up 25% at the open this morning. While I'm invested in a lithium DLE startup (E3 Lithium), I shied away from graphite, but maybe that was a mistake!

Reactions: nativewolf
I just spent a fascinating time re-reading the first 16 pages - 320 posts - of this thread. I highly recommend doing so, particularly if you joined the discussion more recently.

I was looking, spectacularly unsuccessfully, for any early discussion regarding graphite. I was certain I had written of it, as back in the mid-teens, in a pique of Alaskan chauvinism, I took a small position in a very junior VSE company by the name of Graphite One. GPHOF.

Multiple searches later, I have decided I must have confined my discussions of it to my investor partners only, which included the reasons we eventually dumped it for the dead dog it was.

Nevertheless, the company’s prime holding, a deposit northeast of Nome impressively rich in highest-quality lump graphite remains.

And the share price is so much more attractive - 🤣🤣🤣 - than it was when we got out.

Yeah, I'm fully invested in this company (meaning I've bought my target amount) over about a year's worth of on and off buying. You have to be patient when buying since the stock is so thinly traded. It can weeks to accumulate a $100K investment, for instance.

It is still trading at what I think is an attractive price. The next big shoe to drop is inking an offtake agreement, which will shoot the stock price up. I expect that to happen in 2024. Stock is depressed a bit right now since lithium pricing has been dropping and famously EV makers not named Tesla are having a hard time selling their products. But we know that if the rest of the EV industry doesn't get their act together, Tesla will simply step into the void.

So is anyone else here invested in E3 Lithium, or just me? They just had another interesting press release (below) and will be presenting this Friday at Bloor street's battery minerals virtual mini-conference at 7am PST, 10am EST. It is free to join, register here: EV Battery Metals Conference » Bloor Street Capital

These mini conferences are great - you get to hear 9 Analysts/CEOs talk quickly about their opportunities. Well worth listening to.

----

Last edited:
So is anyone else here invested in E3 Lithium, or just me? They just had another interesting press release (below) and will be presenting this Friday at Bloor street's battery minerals mini-conference at 7am PST, 10am EST. It is free to join, register here: EV Battery Metals Conference » Bloor Street Capital

These mini conferences are great - you get to hear 9 Analysts/CEOs talk quickly about their opportunities. Well worth listening to.

----

waving-hi.gif

I've tried two different brokerage accounts and neither will let me purchase E3 for some reason.

....and now it's up. sigh lol
The ticker for US investors is EEMMF. That's the US$ version. You might have been trying to buy the Canadian exchange version (ETL on on the TSX-V) and you'd need Canadian dollars in your account to buy that one.

US$2.10 is still a good price. I've bought some at a higher price (and some at a lower price).

• Love
Reactions: phantasms
Just listened to the E3 Lithium part of this conference (Chris Dornbas, CEO). It is still ongoing right now with other speakers (just back up to find his talk):

I still like them. $60M in cash and govt grants (which is a lot for their size and where they are at). Their pilot plant has been producing positive surprises. Recovery is solid and but flow is 3x what they were anticipating, which directly results in lower capex and higher profit. They will mostly make early decisions on their extraction vendors/technologies by 1Q24.

Traditional lithium mining take a long time to bring online. The only way the industry will keep up is from Direct Lithium Extraction, of which E3 is one of the players. E3's resource is in Alberta, a very resource extraction friendly province. Their project is very large, 130,000 tons vs 500,000 tons current worldwide production. They will publish their pre-feasibility study in 24Q1, which the CEO called the "launching pad" to get project financing. Battery companies and car OEMs are obvious targets to partner with the get financing.

End of 24, early 25, they'll have their feasibility done, which will have all the engineering done and be shovel ready, for start of production/operations end of 2026.

I suspect E3 stock will have a bump when pre-feasibility is done (it should show better project financing than current estimates), and a bigger bump when they line up project financing. So 2024 should be good for the stock. Their current market cap is LOW. $154M. Compared to other juniors, this is a bargain. Their resource is big, high quality, and they have a track record of constant milestone delivery.

BTW, the rest of the conference is awesome for those that have the time to listen.

Reactions: ggies07