Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Road to V3: Does Tesla upgrade existing supercharger locations or just build new ones?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious if anyone knows of any Tesla superchargers that have been upgraded to V3? All the activity in my local area (Orlando, FL) seems to be around building new V3 supercharger locations instead of upgrading existing ones. While we certainly need more locations, I know several that need capacity (stalls) and power upgrades (V2->V3) - especially on the Turnpike. I'm wondering if Tesla will give the existing locations some love once the new V3s are in opened.

I'm curious if anyone knows of any Tesla superchargers that have been upgraded to V3? All the activity in my local area (Orlando, FL) seems to be around building new V3 supercharger locations instead of upgrading existing ones. While we certainly need more locations, I know several that need capacity (stalls) and power upgrades (V2->V3) - especially on the Turnpike. I'm wondering if Tesla will give the existing locations some love once the new V3s are in opened.
In beta mode, it first converted some v2 to v3 such as in Fremont and Hawthorne, CA.

But after that it seems to concentrate on new v3 rather than conversion.

Reactions: awesomejt
...I'm wondering if Tesla will give the existing locations some love once the new V3s are in opened.
I think eventually v2 will be converted to v3 but how soon is the question.

That should not let you down though. For example V2 24 stalls Tejon Ranch,CA in 2012. 9 years later they are still not converted to V3.

What's so good about this is: Last month, a site for V3 56 stalls just got its grand opening right on the other side of the I-5 freeway in Arvin, CA that is just 1 mile away.

Reactions: awesomejt
I think eventually v2 will be converted to v3 but how soon is the question.

That should not let you down though. For example V2 24 stalls Tejon Ranch,CA in 2012. 9 years later they are still not converted to V3.

What's so good about this is: Last month, a site for V3 56 stalls just got its grand opening right on the other side of the I-5 freeway in Arvin, CA that is just 1 mile away.

Seems like all the new locations are V3 - which is good - including all the permitted and under construction ones on the FL Turnpike and around the Orlando area. Most going in are 12-16 V3 stalls. Nothing so close as a mile from a V2 charger - some appear to be about 5 miles apart. Perhaps the approach in FL is to add more smaller installs instead of fewer massive ones - considering Florida has the second most number of EV registrations - we need to ramp up quickly.

I believe all the rollouts are new sites. Possibly as V2 sites reach end of life Tesla might come in and upgrade them, but then I think it would be a determination on decommissioning the site or upgrading. I suspect early sites might not be in the most ideal location, might not have the size for what a site nowadays needs, etc.

To be clear, I don't think Tesla will shut down working site just because they are X years old, but as sites reach end of life and start to have more and more problems and need more repairs or hardware switched out, that will be the point where they make this call.

I believe all the rollouts are new sites. Possibly as V2 sites reach end of life Tesla might come in and upgrade them, but then I think it would be a determination on decommissioning the site or upgrading. I suspect early sites might not be in the most ideal location, might not have the size for what a site nowadays needs, etc.

To be clear, I don't think Tesla will shut down working site just because they are X years old, but as sites reach end of life and start to have more and more problems and need more repairs or hardware switched out, that will be the point where they make this call.
I'd rather have a v2 than nothing at 5%.