TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The Rules of Model S Road Tripping

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Doug_G, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Ruscle

Ruscle Member

Coachella Valley, California, United States
    Nailed it !!!
    1. Enjoy the long way home and get there faster.
    2. Enjoy the journey while you dream about the destination.
    3. Enjoy the windings of induction motors and 'take no prisoners'. Charge up and drive.

• Like x 1
  2. xy46

xy46 Member

Wow, thank you so much for this great posting. I will be new to the Tesla family when I pick up my P85D in Chicago on 12/29. When I leave there, I am heading to visit family on the Illinois/Iowa border, and then will return home to Grand Rapids, MI. I have been wondering what to expect, and with the awesome knowledge I have gained from your post, I feel very confident about the trip.

3. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

As a new comer to BEVs, this has a lot of sage advice I intend to use, thank you.

I liked the additional comments, particularly about range mode as that is counter-intuitive.

It's likely elsewhere in the forums, though I couldn't easily find any info on the non-SC level 3 DC fast chargers. Is there more advice there, or availability info on the adapter to a Tesla?

Thanks (again ;-))

Mike

4. Aussie Bob

Aussie Bob Member

Doug: thanks a lot a very good read and useful for me. Also liked your cold weather blog. Both very useful to me as a new owner of the "S".

5. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Excellent work Doug...thanks for posting this!!!

6. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

Thanks for this post, Doug. I also read your post on Winter driving. I'm in Orangeville Ontario - similar winters to Ottawa..... My son lives in Nepean, so Ottawa will be my first road trip when I get my S85D in March!

7. tinkll1

tinkll1 New Member

As a P85D owner of 3 days duration and now the survivor of a 10 hour, 435 mile trip (before Google/Tesla fudge factors), I would have greatly benefitted by discovering the club and your sage advice before I began the long road trip. Many, many excellent ideas. I found this trip to be an updated cross country flying experience with the charging stations substituting for airfields, and the consequences of an error of judgement on land being less severe than in the air. Your advice is an excellent introduction to a very different experience than the same trip in a Porsche 991 911 Turbo S. It would have helped me acquire a different mind set. Thank you. And the learning begins.

• Like x 2
  8. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Excellent write up. Thank you.

9. Max Blinka

Max Blinka New Member

:smile:
    Thank you very much for your Tipps:
    I am recieving my Model S P 85 D on June 16, 2015.
    One tipp I must drop from time to time:
    In Germany we do not have a speed limit,
    and therefore I have already experienced the tremendous power of 700 horsepowers pullinng the car like a canon ball from 0 to 250 km/h. (legally and as often as you want...) No interruption by transmissions (like in my Porsche 911), shere ncredibly.
    But most of the time I will obey your "cruising tipps" and the rule that running slower may result in a faster trip ...
    Thanks again and perhaps we meet in Canada this year when I am planning a round trip (unfortunately with RV instead of Model S...:wink:)

10. rwilsker

rwilsker New Member

Thank you very much for posting such useful information. Saved it to Pocket so I can study it in detail.

11. Blazing Whisper

Very insightful, thank you!

12. BjörnTM

BjörnTM Member

Thanks. Very useful information! Waiting for my Tesla Model S to arrive in the next few weeks :)

13. Festerfeet

Festerfeet Member

Thanks Doug for a well considered and written blog.

I have been combing this forum for a while to satisfy my curiosity and fill the considerable gaps in my knowledge while waiting for my X to arrive this summer. I will have a regular drive which includes 2,500m up and 1,000 down (SC station just before the mountain luckily) and hope to be able to update with figures on the X for ascent and decent.

I really appreciate the time and effort put in by members of the forum to help out us newbies.

Thank you

14. Cr8it

Cr8it Member

This is an awesome article - Planning my first road trip and this really is outstanding.

15. LastGas

LastGas Member

I think the range estimates in the post might scare people off. For example, my Model S 60 kWh (refresh) is rated at 210 miles. If I took 2/3 of that and left myself with a 50 mile buffer, the effective range for planning purposes would be 90 miles! That's not enough to get from one Supercharger to the next.

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

20 miles is fine as a buffer in most circumstances. I recommend more buffer for your first trip because a lot of people get carried away driving fast on their first trip and get themselves in trouble!

• Like x 1
  17. jake13S

jake13S Member

18. jake13S

jake13S Member

Thanks for a great summary of driving, especially in cold weather, which I will be doing on my first trip to pick up a preowned S. Mine will have dual chargers, and I can't see that there will be too much use for the option unless I can find some hi amperage chargers when there are no Superchargers available. Do you have any suggestions as to finding such chargers. Do the chargers listed on Trip-planner showing higher kW amounts translate to higher amperage chargers/

Thanks.
    J

19. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Some charging databases list the power; others do not unfortunately. Try several...there seem to be many.

Many of the Sun Country Highway stations are higher power, but I don't know if there are any in your area.