TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The Rules of Model S Road Tripping

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Doug_G, Apr 22, 2013.

1. KBF

KBF Model X owner (formerly Cdn Signature Model S)

And thanks for adding the metric numbers... Now if only the cruise control could actually be set to 100 km/h, road tripping would be perfect! ;) Great writeup, I'll be passing this on to others.

2. Soflason

Soflason Member

Great article, really wish Broder read this beforehand! :wink:

3. de704

de704 XP268

You forgot rule Rule #0

If your not an EV person don't try a Road Trip until there's Superchargers in your area.

4. epley

epley P85 VIN 693

Great blog post!

I was initially annoyed that the care wouldn't make it all the way from my home in Woodinville to my parents in Salem. And that road trips were going to take sooooo much longer. But a funny thing happened along the way: the trips became more fun. Now, I GET to stop and explore someplace. I GET to take back roads and drive at a more liesurely pace. Road trips have become much more pleasant and much less stressful because I'm not hell-bent on making it in the shortest time possible!

Usually technology makes your life more hectic and frenetic. Tesla is seriously cool technology that helps you to stop and smell the roses!

• Love x 1
  5. KBF

KBF Model X owner (formerly Cdn Signature Model S)

Great news - I can finally road trip now that my rear jump seats are installed! Any advice for rear - facing kids?

6. Talkredius

Talkredius Member

what me always surprises, different country, different culture, different what ever but always the same result. Just enjoyed a 360 km business trip ride with my Roadster, only country roads, no Autobahn, was like being on holiday :biggrin:

7. Mnlevin

Mnlevin Member

Yesterday, after only having our 60 for a few days I was going for a long drive day. I decided to compare the trip odometer against the Rated Miles. I thought driving on the hwy at normal driving habits between 60-75 mph I would lose about 20% of range. But at the end of the day to my surprise the difference was maybe 5-10% difference. Started with 170 miles RR ended with 56 RR. The odometer showed 112 actual miles. That was pretty interesting, considering it was hot out, and the a/c was working along with my Slacker radio. Happy!

8. Geoff

Geoff Member

Very much appreciated!!!!

9. Cliff Hannel

Cliff Hannel Member

Thanks for the great guide, Doug. I have a few resources available that I thought readers might also find handy. At EVTripPlanner they can find:

* reference tables and spreadsheet with range-vs-speed, charging times, electricity costs and more (EV Calculations)

* our "Route Energy Planner" that estimates the kWh required for a route accounting for hills, speed, temperature and also provides sensitivity to wind. We are still tuning this to perfect results. Tesla really needs to integrate something like this into the Nav system!. (EVTripPlanner)

* our "Tracker" app that logs telemetry data while you drive and then let's you check out your actual best acceleration times and more stuff to come. (http://evtripplanner.com/tracker_about.php)

10. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Doug, thanks for the Blog. Am taking my first road trip from Westchester county NY to MA next week. Lots of good information provided that is useful, even for local driving. :biggrin:

11. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

"No one gets EPA ratings in their gas cars."

I do! I do!!! :)

Seriously... It's pretty easy to match or better the EPA estimates on gas cars since the EPA made their ratings more conservative back in 2008.

My 2011 Volt is EPA rated 35/40 (city/highway) but I routinely get 44+ mpg on both city and highway. Driving 65 mph gets 40-42 mpg. I did a round trip from SF to LA that included hundreds of miles in hybrid gas mode and averaged 48 mpg (gas miles only) at 55-60 mph.

12. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Great write-up!

My rule of thumb on long trips is to keep 20% more in rated miles than distance to go on the Nav screen. 20% is easy to do in your head, double and divide by 10. I drive conservatively until I am sure that I will make the 20% buffer and only then do I gradually speed up.

As for altitude, I do a lot of driving in the Colorado Rockies with lots of ups and downs. I find 6 or 7 miles per 1,000 feet closer to reality, and 6 miles per 1,000 feet is easier for me to do in my head when I am trying to get 1 mile precision. :biggrin: As you said, with no regen (gradual slopes), you get it all back.

The biggest losses that I see are when people wait too long into a turn, approaching a stop sign, or coming up on slow traffic, so that they have to use the friction brakes. This is even worse if you set the regen to low. Keep regen set to standard, practice doing 95% of you slowing by letting up on the accelerator, and you will get more range. Its not like driving an automatic, but is actually a wonderful, one-foot style of driving once you get used to it.

Have fun Road Tripping!

• Like x 1
  13. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

I've got an interesting problem for any road trips I may take in the future; One way out of town is ~400km until the next charge point. The other way out of town is ~374km until the next charge point. Those are my choices and both push the limits of the Model S's range. There are some significant elevation changes along the way too (~4800 feet up, ~4500 feet down). However, since the net change is relatively small, would I be able to get back most of the range I would lose by using regen?

After reading this guide, it seems like I may just have to travel slower than I have ever traveled before in order to make the trip. This will be hard for me (very, very, VERY hard) but I guess I will have to do it if I want to travel anywhere.

I've already accepted that I won't be making any trips during the winter but that's alright, since I don't normally travel much then anyway.

I've also sponsored a charger with Sun Country Highway on the condition that they install it somewhere along my route; hopefully, making it a more manageable 2-300km between charges, rather than around 400km.

14. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

Awesome advice! I especially learned a lot about battery pack warming.

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I wanted to add a note about "Range Mode", but it looks like the blog is no longer editable.

"Range Mode" limits pack heating and cabin heating. Unfortunately it also does this while parked and charging, so preheating is much less effective if it is turned on. This can be very counterproductive and adversely affect range once you start driving. Be sure to turn off Range Mode when parking the vehicle!

• Informative x 1
  16. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Great job Doug!

17. DJ Frustration

DJ Frustration Model X Sig, Former Model S, Model 3 Res

Just imagine how big of a game changer the Supercharger network buildout and CHAdeMO adapter, which should be released eventually, has been since this post was written. Still, the advice is great and we'll use it from our Miami to NY road trip this summer. Hope the adapter is release by then and we can do more sightseeing on our drive.

18. ferdboyce

ferdboyce Member

Thanks, Doug. VERY sound advice with (virtually) nothing left out. I got my S85 in late Nov '13, and already have 9000 miles after 6 months . . . this from an old retiree that hasn't driven more than 5K/yr in the last 8 years! Seattle to Palm Springs and Seattle to Salt Lake City (and it's dearth of EVSE's). I managed 243 miles from Twin Falls to SLC by following all of your advice, especially keeping a min. of 20 miles more in range than was shown on the GPS. That method really works, and 'range anxiety' is now a distant memory, although I still plot all the plugshare locations along the way, just in case. I'm happier with my S85 today than the day I picked her up, and have just filled out the request for my vanity plates . . . "GASKIKR"

19. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

Thanks for this great write-up.
    These basics mean a lot to us newcomers, and there are going to be a lot of us!

20. JBusch

JBusch Member

Thanks for sharing!