Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The shudder problem: Current status (end of February 2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's interesting. It's an annoying noise, and obviously it'll fail eventually due to bearing balls out of cages or whatever is going on in the particular CV that starts to get noisy, but I wonder at the actual failure, as in, broken and can't drive the wheel anymore, rate. If it immobilizes a car once every ten million vehicle miles or something, as the man said that's not great, not terrible.

Either way it should be getting a lifetime warranty at this point.

Reactions: MTOman
I had an E90 325i stripper and yes, they'll crucify you over there. The half shaft ball races into the motor wear unevenly causing the shudder. The clevis mount is what helps alleviate motor vibration. I haven't read anything on mechanical failure. I have friends with a 2016 and 2017 that have just lived with the shudder with no mechanical failure.
Sandy Munro should look into this and give us a video report.

We don’t accelerate fast, we always drive in low, and had them replaced 3x already. And now I feel the vibrations again.

So driving very defensive helps but not forever - it is only a longer agony before they completely die again.
imo the wear is from steering angle and high torque, not so much the height. When pulling out in traffic, be sure to be gentle on the throttle while turning. get the wheel straight, then gun it. You never hear of rear half shafts needing replacing.

Mystery:
certainly the Range Rover has less torque than the X. Still, you can have the Range Rover SUV air jacked to max height, turn hard, go straight, whatever .... & the shudder NEVER OCCURS ... year after year. Yet tesla 'cures' the problem by preventing you from performing hard starts / hard accelerations at max height. (shaking head).
Great 'cure' . . . . killing a feature the ride was supposed to be fit to do.

Mystery:
certainly the Range Rover has less torque than the X. Still, you can have the Range Rover SUV air jacked to max height, turn hard, go straight, whatever .... & the shudder NEVER OCCURS ... year after year. Yet tesla 'cures' the problem by preventing you from performing hard starts / hard accelerations at max height. (shaking head).
Great 'cure' . . . . killing a feature the ride was supposed to be fit to do.
It's not a mystery. Land Rover knows how to make an SUV. Tesla took half shafts that weren't designed for the combination of angle and torque that the S uses in standard height and used them on the X at an even higher standard height (meaning an even worse angle for the components). What could go wrong?

Reactions: Richbot and EbS-P