TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

The sky has fallen

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by treesandmore, Jul 29, 2017.

1. treesandmore

treesandmore Member

...but the sun's still shining.

I was going to buy the model 3 with the longest range possible, AWD and autopilot. I'd really like a high clearance 4wd but I won't live forever, so I compromised in the interest of getting an EV before I'm dead.

I fear this set-up is too expensive now and too delayed (the AWD).

If the Model 3 w/o these costs as much as a used Model S RWD w/o autopilot, should I look at that? What would be the advantages and disadvantages?

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

A friend of mine has the same dilemma, and I was telling him, isn't AP one of the main reasons you want a Tesla? I would think so. At least get AP1.

• Like x 1
  3. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Member

#3 omgwtfbyobbq, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    In my opinion, it's going to be hard to get a used RWD S for the after tax credit cost (~$38k + tax) of a long range, but otherwise stock, model 3. I remember seeing CPO RWD 60s for around that price a while back, but that was it. Everything I've seen since then has been in the low $40s. If you can't take advantage of the tax credit, then you can possibly get a CPO RWD S for less.

In terms of advantages, the S will be bigger, have free supercharging, and you can get it when it shows up on the CPO site (if you're fast enough). On the other hand, the 3 will probably have a longer warranty (I'm not sure how long Tesla warranties CPOs for), greater range, and I'm guessing that when you do need a replacement battery, it will be less expensive thanks to a lower costs design and much higher volume.

Edit - Thanks for the info on CPO warranty/etc Az_Rael.

4. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Normal CPO warranty is 4 year/50k miles from the mileage you buy it at, so the same as the new warranty. (There is a 2 year CPO warranty for higher mileage cars tho)

Two P85s showed up briefly a few days ago for $35k with the 4/50 warranty, so we might start seeing prices dip that low for the 2012s and 2013s.

Disadvantage is no radar cruise control, and no autopilot. If you were going to get the PUP on the 3, you also may lose folding mirrors. But you might gain a sunroof since that doesn't seem to be an option for the 3. You also may get free supercharging with a pre-AP S if you road trip a lot.

But in the end, it all comes down to AP. I love my 2013 and would buy it again. I can live without AP. My husband's car has AP1, and I am more jealous of his folding mirrors and auto closing charge port door, honestly.

• Like x 1
  5. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Get a used MS today, trade it for a new M3 next year (or the year after). Problem solved?

To whet your appetite for the M3 read this scintillating review by Motor Trend....

"Magic, I’m telling you. Magic. And this is the single-motor, rear-wheel-drive starting point. The already boggled mind boggles further at the mention of Dual Motor and Ludicrous."

"Have I ever driven a more startling small sedan? I haven’t. At speed, it gains a laser-alertness I haven’t encountered before. By happenstance, associate road test editor Erick Ayapana had penciled me into a 2.0-liter Alfa Romeo Giulia to get here, and it feels like a wet sponge by comparison. "

• Like x 1
  6. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

Keep in mind no tax credits on used Model S.

7. treesandmore

treesandmore Member

Didn't everyone use to drive without AWD or FWD till a couple of decades ago? What about all those photos of families going on vacation or moving with all their stuff shoved into a station wagon?

Can anyone comment on this? Have we just gotten used to something that people used to get by fine without? Can we get by without it even in mountain and snow country?

• Like x 1
  8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I don't think Tesla AWD offers higher ground clearance. They do AWD more about improving driving dynamics and performance, and not trying to offer offroad capability. People with RWD Tesla tend to report they they do awesome on snow due to the precise torque controls in the motor system. So, I think AWD is more for people who want "the best of the best" and are hoping for max acceleration ( best 0-60 times for instance. )

From my perspective, all of Tesla products are designed only to be driven on paved roads...

9. 808?

808? Member

10. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Two words: Chain control

Can't get very far in California in the winter without either chains (nope, no doing it) or AWD. And before anyone from the north makes any sunny California jokes, we did get over 750 inches of snow last year o_O

11. Mulligan Jake

Mulligan Jake Member

12. boiler81

boiler81 Member

Tesla sales rep told me last Weds, that if the Pre-owned had not been registered to a private owner, the buyer can take advantage of the tax credit. However, without inquiring, there is no way to tell from inventory page whether it would qualify for credit. I'm guessing this applies only to sale of Tesla service loaners or demo vehicles.

• Informative x 1
  13. Mulligan Jake

Mulligan Jake Member

The advantage is you can get a CPO in a couple of weeks. The wait was killing me, I bought a CPO last Dec. Best car buying decision I ever made. I still plan to get M3 next year and sell the S. You will not regret the CPO.

• Like x 1
  14. Trips

Trips Member

Last Friday I tried to get a P85 with around 80k miles. They had it listed for $35k but someone grabbed it right away. I was thinking that it must not have the Tech Package or something for that price.

• Like x 1
  15. treesandmore

treesandmore Member

Here's an article about the comeback of RWD, with a bit about four wheel drive...

A Revival for the Rear-Wheel-Drive Car

And this interesting bit from Wikipedia:

Four-wheel drive - Wikipedia

16. RobertF

RobertF Member

When it comes to tax issues I would recommend checking out what a sales rep tells you with your accountant or tax guy. I believe the term CPO that Tesla uses is synonymous with a car previously sold by Tesla to another owner, repurchased by Tesla and is being sold again. This new purchaser is not eligible for a federal tax credit. Inventory cars on the other hand are cars that have never been sold by Tesla making a purchaser the first owner and eligible for the federal tax credit. I do not know how state tax credits and utility rebates work.